AFC West Oakland Raiders

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Re: AFC West Oakland Raiders

Postby Rockindaddy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:15 pm

Looks like there is resistance from some of the posters over on CBS to join here, so the Raider page may get off to a crawling start. :cry:
He who laughs last.........thinks slowest!
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby MyHowiesLonger » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:27 pm

WE BE DA RAIDER NATION LOYAL FOREVER!!!!!!!
MyHowiesLonger
Rookie

Postby MyHowiesLonger » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:31 pm

WE DA BEST

RAIDER

NATION

ROCKS
Attachments
chris6.jpg
chris6.jpg (89.31 KiB) Viewed 20462 times
MyHowiesLonger
Rookie

Postby kicks » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Howie!!! Nice ride. And the bike isn't bad either. :lol:

Rockin, I was at Fox for 10 years. And I was at CBS for a bit. They don't realize that CBS nuked the whole place twice in the last year. Almost everyone deleted. And then the avs and color were stripped. I hope they will be ok but I learn that history can repeat itself. A lot of pages going to Facebook as well. ESPN did. Fox did. CBS might as well.

Whatever happens, we are glad to have you here.
Last edited by kicks on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A day without football is a sad lonely day!
kicks
All Pro

Postby MyHowiesLonger » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Kicks you said it brother HHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MyHowiesLonger
Rookie

Postby Rockindaddy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:59 am

kicks wrote:Howie!!! Nice ride. And the bike isn't bad either. :lol:

Rockin, I was at Fox for 10 years. And I was at CBS for a bit. They don't realize that CBS nuked the whole place twice in the last year. Almost everyone deleted. And then the avs and color were stripped. I hope they will be ok but I learn that history can repeat itself. A lot of pages going to Facebook as well. ESPN did. Fox did. CBS might as well.

Whatever happens, we are glad to have you here.

Thanks Kicks! Hopefully everyone will migrate over eventually. I was on Fox for about 10 years as well and hated everytime they changed formats. The main reason I like this site is that it will be very hard for trolls to get in and we can actually talk football. :)
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby 4THERAIDERS » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Yo Yo!

Hope Everyone is having a Great Weekend!

In response to the "Resistance" post....It's not that at all.
I just have close Raider Friends that I talk with at CBS, and They don't want to migrate again...That's all it is.
I think that This Page is Awesome, and I will continue to look in until CBS "Nukes" Us.
I hope Everyone understands my stance....At least I'm registered, and have a GREAT Place to hang if CBS goes down.
I will continue to check in anyways....Go Raiders!!!
4THERAIDERS
Rookie

Postby Rockindaddy » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Some of the Raider greats!
Attachments
oakland-raiders-all-time-greats-composite.jpg
oakland-raiders-all-time-greats-composite.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 20458 times
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby rdrJoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:03 pm

OnlyInUtah wrote:
kicks wrote:4!! Will!!! Welcome aboard. On the Bronco main page I left a tutorial on posting pics. Its slow now but every great river starts out as a trickle. Ask Ute about the avs. He found an easy way to load them. I loaded mine so long ago, dinosaurs roamed the earth. Lol

If you use Microsoft Paint, upload the picture you want and resize it to 90 x 90 pixels. The resize option is on the top of the screen in Microsoft Paint. Almost every PC comes with Paint. On a Mac just use their picture program. I uploaded my AV in 2010 Kicks....lol. That's when I first joined this version of Switzerland.

Any other program like Paint Shop Pro or Photo Shop will do the same thing.

Hey Ute! except it wouldn't post my AV used with photoshop? hahaha
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby Keeping The Peace » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:37 pm

UPYRS wrote:
rdrJoe wrote:Hey Ute! except it wouldn't post my AV used with photoshop? hahaha

I tried that and it won't save the picture, always showed an error message

WHISTLE BLOW!!!

Try this link which people will find in the "Peaceful Corner" forum.
This is some helpful information on creating an avatar.
http://cklaurence.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17

Moderator Peace
Play nice or go home....
Keeping The Peace

Postby rdrJoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Good afternoon Nation.

Long time gone since posting in here.
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Rockindaddy wrote:Some of the Raider greats!

Rock! great seeing you brother. Now we need to round up all the others, turn this into the deal it can be.
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:05 pm

One mo time. Rocks, great seeing you here brother. There are maybe a couple of folks that are dragging their feet, but CBS is just that without the C. ahem hahaha
Last edited by rdrJoe on Sun May 03, 2015 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Rookie! hahahaha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa now that is rich. And thinking of it now, we need to get Rich over here.
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:29 pm

rd1.jpg
rd1.jpg (9.49 KiB) Viewed 20448 times
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Much better!
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby 4THERAIDERS » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:42 am

"Stiff Necks?"
And to Whom would that be directed towards?
4THERAIDERS
Rookie

Postby Rockindaddy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:15 am

rdrJoe wrote:
Rockindaddy wrote:Some of the Raider greats!

Rock! great seeing you brother. Now we need to round up all the others, turn this into the deal it can be.

Yes, that would be great Joe. The ability to post pics and links, have an AV, and all the other perks of this place is so much better that plain ol' white CBS where you can't even "like" a post. Speaking of which, I don't see a "like" button here. That would be a good feature unless I'm missing it. This place should get better and better!
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby Rockindaddy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Happy Easter All!
Attachments
57697529369d7dbfca.gif
57697529369d7dbfca.gif (90.23 KiB) Viewed 20437 times
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby Rockindaddy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:10 pm

BTW..... I would be good with Crabtree even at 4 mil. He's still young and I think Del Rio would keep his head straight.
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby MyHowiesLonger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:14 am

UPYRS wrote:
MyHowiesLonger wrote:Kicks you said it brother HHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Seem to recall you from way back in the early dayz of Fox, if memory serves you got deleted for being up front and honest with a troll poster,

Yes that's me the same dieHARD RAIDER FAN bro ....................I was never on this site back in the day just Fux ........I remember you you were always one of the cool Chief fans .......... :up: :roll: :up:

Keep it real bro

peace
Attachments
051514-mack-arrives.jpg
051514-mack-arrives.jpg (43.41 KiB) Viewed 20423 times
MyHowiesLonger
Rookie

Postby rdrJoe » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:43 pm

MyHowiesLonger wrote:
UPYRS wrote:
MyHowiesLonger wrote:Kicks you said it brother HHHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Seem to recall you from way back in the early dayz of Fox, if memory serves you got deleted for being up front and honest with a troll poster,

Yes that's me the same dieHARD RAIDER FAN bro ....................I was never on this site back in the day just Fux ........I remember you you were always one of the cool Chief fans .......... :up: :roll: :up:

Keep it real bro

peace

Good seeing so many great peeps from the long ago days, when things were extra Cool.

Raider on.

Peace !
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:40 pm

:lol: The term “Nation” to describe the Raiders’ following derives in large part from the sheer magnitude of its numbers. This term is both literal and figurative because it not only refers to a group so large that they could form their own country, but the mere fact that the team has fans stretched across the country and even the world. And if they aren’t there already, they “have loyalty, will travel”.

I have seen evidence of this first hand at several Raider games in both Arizona and San Diego. In each instance, it was sometimes very difficult to tell which was the home team. I can’t speak for many other locations but just ask Denver Post staff writer Bill Briggs(no fan of the Raiders) who in a 2005 article wrote, “The Raiders may be the second-most popular team in Denver, as they are in other National Football League cities. Nationally, Raiders gear outsold other teams’ jerseys three out of the past four years, according to the NFL.”

Former Raider, Rickey Dudley, was quoted in the St. Petersburg Times as saying, “It’s amazing. Although you go to a lot of places and there are fans there from everywhere, I’ll have to say that in my years I don’t think I have ever seen fans like [the Raiders’]. They follow you to the cities and to the hotels. You get there and the lobbies are full of Raider fans. You know why they call it the Raider Nation? Because it’s nationwide. Miami, New York, wherever. You’re part of the Raider Nation. It’s so large. They say Dallas is America’s Team, well, I’m not so sure about that. The Raiders are beloved.”

Another former Raider, Randy Jordan, agreed: “It’s not Raider Club. It’s not Raider Fans. It’s Raider Nation. Wherever you go, you will find more than just a few fans. There’s never one Raider [fan], they come in droves.”

There are many theories as to what created Raider Nation. Some point to the working-class, multi-racial nature of the city of Oakland. Others give a nod to the us-against-the-world attitude spawned by Al Davis. Still others talk about the team’s aggressive, combative (and some say “dirty”) style of play during the 70s and 80s, when the Raiders won their three

Chuck Noll, former coach of the Steelers, once described the Raider defensive backs as a “criminal element.” And Hunter S. Thompson (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas), a Raider fan in the last years of his life, wrote, “The massive Raider Nation is beyond doubt the sleaziest and rudest and most sinister mob of thugs and wackos ever assembled.” A statement only a Raider fan could take as a compliment.

The Raider Nation has been the subject of a documentary film entitled, A Look Into The World of the Most Notorious Fans on the Planet: “The Raider Nation,” . In its review, Amazon.com states: “A cross between an English soccer match and a Halloween ball, an Oakland Raiders game is uniquely singular. From tailgate parties that start three days before the game, to legendary fanaticism both inside and outside of the stadium, the Raider Nation is a people worth exploring.”

This loyal fan base is also chronicled in the book “Better to Reign in Hell,” written by San Diego English professors Jim Miller and Kelly Mayhew, who are also Raider fans. The title is derived from an assertion by Satan in Paradise Lost by John Milton: “Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.”.

The “Autumn Wind” poem was written by NFL Film’s Steve Sabol. Sam Spence wrote the music and it was narrated by the legendary John Facenda. The resulting anthem was coined “The Battle Hymn of the Raider Nation.” It was created in 1974 by NFL Films to accompany highlights from the Raiders games. That’s right, it was created three years before the Raiders had even won their first Superbowl.

Sports talk radio host and local Raider correspondent, JT the Brick, used a spinoff of the term “Raider Nation” to coin the term for the Raiders’ cross-bay rival, the “49er Empire.” The term “Raider Nation” has inspired many imitations — the “Steeler Nation,” the “Bronco Nation,” and the most notable as of late; the so-called “Red Sox Nation.” I even recently heard an ignorant Red Sox fan attempting to convince others that the Raiders actually stole the term “Nation” from them! This was likely a fan who was not even alive when the Raiders coined the phrase.

While the “Raider Nation” came about in the 70s, the phrase “Red Sox Nation” was first coined by Boston Globe feature writer Nathan Cobb in an October 20, 1986, article about split allegiances among fans in Connecticut between the Mets and the Red Sox in the 1986 World Series. So basically in its earliest form, “Red Sox Nation” was making reference to two fanbases fighting over one tiny little insignificant state like Connecticut (no offense to uh…Connecticut…ians?) But congrats on such a major accomplishment “Red Sox Half of Tiny Connecticut Station.”

The term “Red Sox Nation” was actually later popularized from the book At Fenway: Dispatches From Red Sox Nation by Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy in 1996. Which is OVER TWENTY YEARS AFTER the Raider Nation was already a global phenomenon. I would say that pretty much settles that argument.

The other teams regurgitating the term are obvious knockoffs which need not be mentioned but only serve to further pay homage to the far reaching loyalty of that which is “THE Raider Nation.” The ONE, the ONLY, the ORIGINAL.

But then again, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.”
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby Rockindaddy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Great article Joe! Thanks for posting!I get sick when I hear all these other teams call themselves "Nation". It just plain pisses me off! :twisted:
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby kicks » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:50 am

Sooo... No Bronco Nation huh? That just sounds strange. :lol:
A day without football is a sad lonely day!
kicks
All Pro

Postby Rockindaddy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:14 am

kicks wrote:Sooo... No Bronco Nation huh? That just sounds strange. :lol:

I think Bronco "Village" or Bronco "Township" has a good ring to it! lol! :lol:
Rockindaddy
Rookie

Postby MyHowiesLonger » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:32 pm

THERE'S ONLY ONE NATION RAIDER NATION !!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE DA BEST
Attachments
Jaime-Edmondson-Oakland-Raiders.jpg
Jaime-Edmondson-Oakland-Raiders.jpg (248.84 KiB) Viewed 20417 times
MyHowiesLonger
Rookie

Postby rdrJoe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:37 pm

MyHowiesLonger wrote:

THERE'S ONLY ONE NATION RAIDER NATION !!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE DA BEST

Howie baby knows!!!!!! THERE IS ONLY ONE NATION RAIDER NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We da best, Raiders
We global.
Its too easy. hahaha

Peace !
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Rockindaddy wrote:BTW..... I would be good with Crabtree even at 4 mil. He's still young and I think Del Rio would keep his head straight.

:up:
rdrJoe
Veteran

Postby rdrJoe » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:11 pm

hahaha no wonder they wanted to get us over here, Broncs are finally ahead of us in the post count. hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
rdrJoe
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)