AFC West Denver Broncos

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Re: AFC West Denver Broncos

Postby OnlyInUtah » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:02 pm

Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Hoppy wrote:
OnlyInUtah wrote:
Hoppy wrote:
OnlyInUtah wrote:
Hoppy wrote:this article makes you wonder who is coaching this team. When a coach doesn't know his player is on the trade blocks does he even have a say so who is playing in the game. Joseph has said some things that made me wonder this when talking about the starting QB. Like saying all options are open for the QB when asked about Kaepernick coming to Denver to play when Lynch went down. This after Elway said he doesn't fit our team. Now This
https://t.co/goLRRRCoW8

If Kap wants to sign a 1 year deal I'm fine with that EXCEPT we would have to change our offense as he can't play as a pocket QB. That's why his production tanked after Harbaugh because they went to that scheme. Harbaugh altered the offense to fit Kap and that's the only reason he was successful when he was. As far as long term we need to look elsewhere.

The article is about trading Ward and the coach not even knowing he was on the block. I wondered if he is just a token coach and Elway is running the whole thing. I brought up the fact that he and John aren't always on the same page by his comment of Kaepernick. But the reason Kaepernick isn't playing isn't his production he played well last season with no talent. If that team had talent they would have won more games and they would have more returning players. That's an almost all new roster there now. If he were here the talk would be us winning the division and a good shot at the #1 seed in the AFC. He's much better then what we have here. Now with More players taking the knee We'll see a much different way the NFL handles things. and I'm Happy to see White players support them. But back to this I think Joseph is just a stooge and John is coaching the team from his office. Just see how many times he and John have a difference of opinion and john's opinion is the one that counts. If I were coach I'd get fired for my doings not the GM's

My point is you'd have to run a totally different offense. He doesn't do well under center...never has.

How could you know that when he's never had the chance to run one. The coaches he has had 3 head coaches Harbaugh, then they went with Harbaugh's defensive coach JimTomsula and he kept the same offense the read then Chip Kelly. and They run the read or something like it in college. So how can you say that? As you know I've always said that the NFL doesn't give the Black QB a chance to play in any thing but the read. You're not one of those guys that think that are you? I say give him a chance before we count him out

This has nothing to do with being black Hop. I'm slightly insulted you insinuate that. Politics and race don't enter into my evaluation of players. Their talent does. All I hear is excuses for why he sucks.....I just see he sucks....just like the white Oz. Lay off the politics and race dude. I just want to talk football.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:23 am

OnlyInUtah wrote:http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/30/denver-broncos-news-5-players-should-trade-before-nfl-roster-cuts/?ref=yfp

I agree with most of this....

TJ Ward would be the biggest loss for me on the list. Everyone else there is more expendable, but I understand Ward is probably the most valuable.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:47 am

CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 pm

Well I'm not one to say I'm sorry and will not for telling the truth. As of last season what Black QB in the NFL wasn't in the Read Offense. It was RG3's downing as he was injured every year. Yet the head coach of the skins never call those playes for Kurt Cousins. I've said this time in time out. Now I asked when did you see Kaepernick in another Offense other than the read. He never has been yet you say he can't play as a drop back in the pocket passer. How do you know if he's never had the chance to do so. We don't have to change our offense that is an insult and an old school way of thinking. That's my point. I've been around as long or longer and have heard that old school way. Now I have never been told To not talk about any subject here by anyone that has control of this site. I have yet to bring politics and I try not to bring race into our discussions but when one says that Kaep. sucks because he feels he can't play in a pocket passer offense then he should add the words in his opinion and I won't have to stand up for a man who think the league is blackballing for them not receiving money from the military. He stood up for the blacks who were being murdered. and now he's out of a job for that. not for taking a knee.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:03 pm

CSpringsNSD wrote:
OnlyInUtah wrote:http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/30/denver-broncos-news-5-players-should-trade-before-nfl-roster-cuts/?ref=yfp

I agree with most of this....

TJ Ward would be the biggest loss for me on the list. Everyone else there is more expendable, but I understand Ward is probably the most valuable.

Now they say that the team will just cut him if no trade is made. So unless more then one team is interested he will be cut. Why trade if you know he's coming free.
https://t.co/s4olAU0Xna
Hoppy
MVP

Postby IckyIPA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:25 am

I really think we should let TJ play his free agent year, then let him go shopping. Out of respect to the No Fly Zone and all they have done to make this a #1 Defense. It's great we have so many great kids at safety this year, but none of them is as respected in the locker room as TJ. If he does go, I'm sure there we be enough interest that he is going to get paid. And, it is the position that least hurts us, depth wise. Parks and Simmons have proven themselves, and Jamal Carter might be better than either of them. We also have two gems we need to slip past waivers onto the PS. Orion Stewart and Dymonte Thomas were very impressive. Still don't want to see such an abrupt ending to the Original Squadron of "The No Fly Zone".There isn't a Vet QB that would make us need Ward's 4.5M if we do indeed sign one. We don't need to go shop for DE's with the emergence of Shelby "Hulk Smash" Harris. There is not enough money to be saved on Ward this year, to warrant the disruption in the locker room. If it's a roster spot they need for Jamal Carter, give him Zaire Anderson's. He's the hybrid-linebacker that they can't use as one, because he can't cover the TEs or backs. TJ, Parks, and Carter are all better choices for that role.

END OF RANT !!!
Last edited by IckyIPA on Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
IckyIPA
All Pro

Postby IckyIPA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 am

I did my money league fantasy draft. This is a 12 man league my Dad and his friends started in 1979. There are still 4 original members and a few Son's and Son-in-laws of the originals, and few more long timers. Any ways it's a very special thing for me. I got a few Broncos. I got Jamaal Charles as my third back (McCoy and Blount), and I plan on starting him this week. I gotta feeling he is going to make a BIG Monday Night STATEMENT. I also drafted Denver's Defense (first D off the board). The run on kickers came next, and while I only got the fifth one off the board, when it finally came to me, I got McManus. I believe he might be the best distance kicker in the league, and the all around most automatic. LOL...Remember when we were calling him, "McAnus"? I think the biggest difference in our O this year, will be turning a few of those three and outs into FG opportunities. It's nice when you only need to get down to the 42 to be in range. That's all the Broncos that I got, and i'm stoked that I got them. Hope to grab them and more in Utah's Draft, but I think I might have to move quicker against you guys.
IckyIPA
All Pro

Postby IckyIPA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 am

My two cents on Kaepernick, and I want you to remember, I saw every home game he played in college, two road games, and one Bowl game. He wanted to be an NFL QB his whole life, even wrote a report about it in grade school. Coming out of high school, he didn't fit anybody's system. Everybody was sure he was going to play baseball, with his 95 mph fastball, and not getting any football recruiting interest from the major conferences. Then along came this little coach from Nevada, who was already a College Football Hall of Fame inductee. This coach was working on a new style of offense. He thought that Kaep's skills were perfect for what he was trying to do. He was right. By the the end of Kaep's freshman year, he was running Coach Chris Ault's "Pistol Offense" so efficiently, that the entire football industry had taken notice. In the next couple of years, Nevada was losing coordinators and assistant coaches to schools like UCLA and Notre Dame. In the off season, Coach Ault was teaching seminars on the offense to many big school and NFL coaches. By the time Kaepernick was putting and exclamation point on his record breaking college career, by beating Boston College in the "Fight Hunger Bowl" in San Francisco, Alex Smith and the 49ers were implementing their own version of the " Pistol Offense". Kaep stepped into Smith's shoes and ran it to perfection. All the way to missing winning the Super Bowl by one play. Kaep can star again, but a team will have to design an offense around him, and "The Read Offense", ain't the one. If you put him three yards behind Paradis, and put CJ or Jamaal on his hip, you will see him hitting DT and Emanuel in stride on crossing routes, and Virgil Green in the seam for huge gainers and long touchdowns. Oh how I wish Virgil would get the real chance to show you why he was Kaeps number one target at Nevada. He is a better receiver than how he gets used. He is definitely better than what they thought Heirman would be. Kaepernick used Virgil Green the same way Peyton used Julius Thomas, and it was beautiful to watch. So, everybody is free to feel about the Man how they will, but I will always think of him as the kid that Me, my Dad, and my Son got so much enjoyment from, for his 4 years here in Reno.
IckyIPA
All Pro

Postby IckyIPA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:51 am

I'm on a roll tonight Gents. Up late soaking in as much football as I can. I couldn't find a feed to tonight's game, so I didn't get to see it. I did Game Trax for the play by play, and had the MHR live blog scrolling. I got a pretty good gist of the game. Sloter showed he has the balls to play QB. He didn't get down on himself after the bad start. He knew the team was counting on him to play the full 4 quarters. He pulled up his jock and went after it. Say what you want about it being against guys that won't be in the league in a few days. You still have to know the play, and make the throw to where the receiver is supposed to be.The kid is obviously seeing the field, he hit 9 different guys all over it. Of Sloter's 15 completions, 10 of them were for 1st downs. 7 of the completions ranged from 17 yds to 32 yards. Been a while since we've seen that. He was doing all that with Sambrailo and Schofield blocking for him. If the kid can execute the offense, and you surround him with even better talent, and better protection, one would think he would run the 1st team offense at least as well as he did tonight.
If you haven't figured by now, I am advocating for Sloter to be our back up while Paxton takes as long as he needs to heal his shoulder. We don't need to bring in another Austin Davis for "Veteran Presence" for 1.5m or whatever the red headed step children are getting now. 4m for a Sanchez, is just a waist of money. After this pre season, there's a good chance Sloter doesn't clear waivers and get onto the PS. Maybe we see a downgraded injury status on Lynch. With spots being tight on the 53, and Pax possibly being down 4-6 weeks, do you put him on IR and name him as the one designated to return that every team gets? I think that puts him out 8 weeks. I'm good with Siemian and Sloter as our 1-2 and Jordan "Sunshine" Taylor as the emergency QB. Wait to rent a red head, til another QB gets hurt.
Time to wrap it up. Hope you enjoyed my rambling...Night Gents
IckyIPA
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 am

Icky, I think Sloter has earned a spot on the 53, especially with Lynch being injured. He has been very consistent through the whole pre-season and been the best statistical qb as well. Yes, he was playing against lesser talent, but it's all relative. As you mentioned, put him behind the starting o-line with the starting receivers and backs and I wonder if he steps up to the plate? Seems to me he would. Could be that next year it's him and Kelly fighting for #1. Have we every seen that before in the NFL? Mr Irrelevant and a UDA fighting for 1st and 2nd on a team (other than a team like the browns where everyone sucks)?
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:51 am

Denver ended up with a 107-50 point differential in the pre-season. Not too bad. Holding Arizona to 2 points while scoring 30 skewed it a little.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:52 am

Time is running out. Sign up now if you haven't!

Yahoo Pro Pick'em
Group Name: Swiss Broncos
Group ID: 3430
Password: denverswiss
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:42 am

IckyIPA wrote:My two cents on Kaepernick, and I want you to remember, I saw every home game he played in college, two road games, and one Bowl game. He wanted to be an NFL QB his whole life, even wrote a report about it in grade school. Coming out of high school, he didn't fit anybody's system. Everybody was sure he was going to play baseball, with his 95 mph fastball, and not getting any football recruiting interest from the major conferences. Then along came this little coach from Nevada, who was already a College Football Hall of Fame inductee. This coach was working on a new style of offense. He thought that Kaep's skills were perfect for what he was trying to do. He was right. By the the end of Kaep's freshman year, he was running Coach Chris Ault's "Pistol Offense" so efficiently, that the entire football industry had taken notice. In the next couple of years, Nevada was losing coordinators and assistant coaches to schools like UCLA and Notre Dame. In the off season, Coach Ault was teaching seminars on the offense to many big school and NFL coaches. By the time Kaepernick was putting and exclamation point on his record breaking college career, by beating Boston College in the "Fight Hunger Bowl" in San Francisco, Alex Smith and the 49ers were implementing their own version of the " Pistol Offense". Kaep stepped into Smith's shoes and ran it to perfection. All the way to missing winning the Super Bowl by one play. Kaep can star again, but a team will have to design an offense around him, and "The Read Offense", ain't the one. If you put him three yards behind Paradis, and put CJ or Jamaal on his hip, you will see him hitting DT and Emanuel in stride on crossing routes, and Virgil Green in the seam for huge gainers and long touchdowns. Oh how I wish Virgil would get the real chance to show you why he was Kaeps number one target at Nevada. He is a better receiver than how he gets used. He is definitely better than what they thought Heirman would be. Kaepernick used Virgil Green the same way Peyton used Julius Thomas, and it was beautiful to watch. So, everybody is free to feel about the Man how they will, but I will always think of him as the kid that Me, my Dad, and my Son got so much enjoyment from, for his 4 years here in Reno.

Didn't Peyton run the pistol That's not the same as the read where the QB reads the DE and hands the ball off or keep it himself. The read could be ran under center I could be mistaken.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 am

Could be I'm a half empty guy but I don't think Sloter is ready for the 53 myself. He had a great 2nd, 3rd, and 4th playing against like everyone said lesser talent. But that first was against talent that is on the bubble. The last to get saved from the cut. Those others were guys who will be stocking shelves and digging ditches. He isn't ready to play against big time defenses. The defense last night was cover one cover two or man. Nothing big no big time blitz, no big time DE in his face as Icky said. Schofield looked like all pro against them and we all know he can't play a bit. I think they will find a young 3rd or forth year player who will be waived today Jacoby Brissett is said to be cut by New England. Bortles who is bad but may look better with talent around him. Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Slap me here Matt Cassel, just a few names out there who are rumored to be released. I think they go with a more experienced man then cut him when Lynch is ready. They may be able to slid Sloter through waivers now instead of him getting better then trying to slid him through by himself later.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 pm

Sambraio to Falcons
https://t.co/DSfFapq7SU
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 pm

J Thompson Has been waived also released Ridley
Hoppy
MVP

Postby CSpringsNSD » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Hoppy wrote:Didn't Peyton run the pistol That's not the same as the read where the QB reads the DE and hands the ball off or keep it himself. The read could be ran under center I could be mistaken.

The problem running the read under center is the timing. It takes longer for the qb to get to the RB as they are further away. When the QB is in shotgun or pistol it gives them a head start. Not that it couldn't work, it just doesn't work as well.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:55 pm

OLB Mason, S D. Barnett, WR A Nash, TE S. Scheu
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:56 pm

CSpringsNSD wrote:
Hoppy wrote:Didn't Peyton run the pistol That's not the same as the read where the QB reads the DE and hands the ball off or keep it himself. The read could be ran under center I could be mistaken.

The problem running the read under center is the timing. It takes longer for the qb to get to the RB as they are further away. When the QB is in shotgun or pistol it gives them a head start. Not that it couldn't work, it just doesn't work as well.

:up:
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:01 pm

so Matt Barkley has been cut as rumored also cut today Ronnie Hillman.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Seahawks get stronger by trading the Jets for Richardson
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:35 pm

another cut C. Hunt rookie center DE S. Soto, LB Q. Gause OLB V. Dora
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:40 pm

rumor : Alex Smith will be released Just what's on Twitter
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Ekanem OLB has been waived Seahawks trying to trade DE Aheyta Rubin to Broncos

https://t.co/6OPHHqmnJR
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:47 pm

12 cuts 1 trade 24 moves to go
Hoppy
MVP

Postby OnlyInUtah » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Hoppy wrote:Well I'm not one to say I'm sorry and will not for telling the truth. As of last season what Black QB in the NFL wasn't in the Read Offense. It was RG3's downing as he was injured every year. Yet the head coach of the skins never call those playes for Kurt Cousins. I've said this time in time out. Now I asked when did you see Kaepernick in another Offense other than the read. He never has been yet you say he can't play as a drop back in the pocket passer. How do you know if he's never had the chance to do so. We don't have to change our offense that is an insult and an old school way of thinking. That's my point. I've been around as long or longer and have heard that old school way. Now I have never been told To not talk about any subject here by anyone that has control of this site. I have yet to bring politics and I try not to bring race into our discussions but when one says that Kaep. sucks because he feels he can't play in a pocket passer offense then he should add the words in his opinion and I won't have to stand up for a man who think the league is blackballing for them not receiving money from the military. He stood up for the blacks who were being murdered. and now he's out of a job for that. not for taking a knee.

You haven't been around any longer than me my friend. Don't shit yourself on that one.

I'm taking a break from this site. I'm sick of getting criticized for voicing my opinion and constantly inferred I'm a racist just because I disagree with you sometimes. Good luck with all that hate you seem to have. If I want to see that I'll watch the news.

Later fellas.

~~Utah Out~~
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:23 pm

OnlyInUtah wrote:
Hoppy wrote:Well I'm not one to say I'm sorry and will not for telling the truth. As of last season what Black QB in the NFL wasn't in the Read Offense. It was RG3's downing as he was injured every year. Yet the head coach of the skins never call those playes for Kurt Cousins. I've said this time in time out. Now I asked when did you see Kaepernick in another Offense other than the read. He never has been yet you say he can't play as a drop back in the pocket passer. How do you know if he's never had the chance to do so. We don't have to change our offense that is an insult and an old school way of thinking. That's my point. I've been around as long or longer and have heard that old school way. Now I have never been told To not talk about any subject here by anyone that has control of this site. I have yet to bring politics and I try not to bring race into our discussions but when one says that Kaep. sucks because he feels he can't play in a pocket passer offense then he should add the words in his opinion and I won't have to stand up for a man who think the league is blackballing for them not receiving money from the military. He stood up for the blacks who were being murdered. and now he's out of a job for that. not for taking a knee.

You haven't been around any longer than me my friend. Don't shit yourself on that one.

I'm taking a break from this site. I'm sick of getting criticized for voicing my opinion and constantly inferred I'm a racist just because I disagree with you sometimes. Good luck with all that hate you seem to have. If I want to see that I'll watch the news.

Later fellas.

~~Utah Out~~

I've never call you a racist Utah But if I offended you I didn't mean to. I do know that you can't talk about some things without offending people that's why I try not to talk about Race on this form. My point was When I first started watching football In the mid 60's they didn't think Blacks could play QB or Middle Linebacker. They were positions of leadership and the train of thought was WE weren't smart enough to give the team the plays. Most will say that's not it at all but that's the way things were at that time. I know you and I are the oldest ones here I believe so you would remember the old school days. I've said this same thing many times about the Black QB in the NFL and IT's the truth There wasn't a starting QB (Black ) in the league who didn't play in the read or Pistol whatever you want to call it. That is true. So does that mean that they can't be drop back passers. Give them a chance and see. The league gave Tebow 4 chances and he' Isn't a passer but a runner. The only team that change their Offense for him Was Denver. You can say I called you a racist but I didn't although I did call you out for saying Kaep wasn't a pocket passer when no one has given him a chance to do so. Yes that's the only thing People are using to justify him not being signed by a team that is he isn't any good. Aaron Rodgers thinks he can play in this league. Other QB and players are now coming out saying he's better then most that have been signed. Why is it that fans say he sucks . I can live with those who say He stepped on the flag I think they have a good argument not to like him for that. but he is better than most that have been signed and I will always dispute that.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:20 pm

just had to post this Broncos talking about bringing back Brock. It's true they are talking to his agent and the money will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 700,000.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/9/2 ... k#comments
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Hoppy
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)