NEW YEAR...

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

NEW YEAR...

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:28 pm

2012 has finally arrived, and with it the playoffs and for many of us :*( the end of our football season per se. Because of friends I have made here in Switzerland, Em, Ms.Bags, and Reeceykins, even though some no longer post here (hope springs eternal), I am lucky enough to have teams to root for, hopefully throughout the run and the Super Bowl. I will, of course, root for whoever is opposing the Giants and the Texans. Because of my peculiar curse (*if you're hoovering--hey! hello! feel free to comment...)--you know, the one that helped the Giants beat the Patriots out of their "guaranteed win" in the Bowl a few years back. That was some difficult night, believe you me! Rooting for BB's team--the pretty boy, the Dolphins' foolishly traded Welker--oh my, I thought I'd die before it was over, but voila! Giants won, so it was worth every moment. It also preserved the Dolphins' residence in Perfectville for another year. They keep making the rules easier, so I know eventually I'll have to face the day we get neighbors, but gawd, I hope when it comes, it will be a team I respect.
I digress. This post is really to make sure that everyone is aware (I do think that many of our old friends and family, even though they don't post, do occasionally *hoover) that we are going to be making changes in the coming months. I've already announced that in February, THE MYSTERY OF JESSICA BENSON, a reworked, updated version of THE QUARTERBACK'S DEMONS, will be released by my new publishing company. I will definitely be touring, doing signings and attending book fairs in various states as well. My website will also be updated and more informative about my itinerary should anyone want to meet me during my travels--I've met many of my Swiss family members and have never been disappointed. Some I have even developed close friendships with, amazingly enough--as my kids shake their heads in anger at me for not only meeting people through the Internet, but inviting them into our home simply because I've enjoyed a blogging relationship with them, and I would probably have their butts in a sling were they to do the same ;-). Go figure!
Switzerland was initially opened because so many people were unhappy with Faux and the fact that there was so much flirting, political talk, and other garbage going on at the sports pages that it completely obfuscated the football talk. Being one of those complaining, I decided to add Switzerland (so named by good old Try Thinking--are you *hoovering Try? I hope you're feeling better for the new year!) to my website with strict rules and a wonderful monitor PEACE (who is still here, but has had no reason to show himself of late, duh) to make sure we did not go off topic. That first Switzerland, unfortunately, had the problem of being only one room, and anyone who came around had to join the conversation and/or turn it toward what they wanted to discuss. Funny, that little place had nearly 300 members--of course, they weren't all active all the time, but you could go on there any time of day or night, I used to have trouble sleeping and any night at 2 or 3 in the a.m., I could turn on my computer and find great convo there. And oh, how many of us used to get up and go right to our computers to catch the dishing that went on between Reeceykins, kicks, PAO and the others throughout the night. It was really grand (IMHO).
We had those silly wars with the Faux groups coming over and 'attacking' every now and again, and other little bumps that I don't think are necessary to recall or mention again, but overall, I think we had some great times here. I used to get, however, a regular stream of requests from Swiss Family Members for a bigger, better Switzerland. A Switzerland with capabilities like those at Faux, where people weren't bound to one room. You know, one where Colts fans, Dolphin fans, Seahawk fans, Texan fans, etc. etc. etc., could meet with other like fans and talk team talk, or set up pages of interest that anyone who was interested in could go to or if not interested in could choose not to, which sure as heck seemed logical to me. So, I went and invested in a bigger, better Switzerland, with bells and whistles and places where like interests could be shared and bloggers weren't forced to the topic du jour.
Facebook. I had been on facebook throughout, but it seems that not too much after we opened the new Switzerland, people discovered it. I don't quite understand what happened. I never had a problem keeping up with Switzerland, facebook, my email, my website work, my writing and everything else in my life, but apparently, in many people's lives, facebook completely replaced Switzerland. I've never spoken out loud like this, save to say that I always hoped that it was just a temporary sag in membership (although we have to this date not signed more than 61 members--you can see it for yourself on our Swiss home page, it's not as though it's a secret). Most people just quietly dropped off without a word. Some said they were too busy to blog anymore, yet really, not being blind and either having been 'friended' by them or being 'mutual' friends with someone they are friends with, I can't help but see that they have plenty of time to blog over there. Others gave other excuses, they didn't like this one or that one (I thought I solved that with the separate rooms, but I guess as people got fewer and fewer, there were less and less places to go); they didn't like me anymore (that always made me feel great); their dogs had fleas, and well, you get the picture.
Everyone has heard me say (after I got over my "I guess I'm going to have to close it down" era) that I'm going to keep Switzerland open for the time being, and I am. Hopefully 2012 will be good to Switzerland, and with my books coming out this year, a new better publisher that will be supportive of this blog and me, and a long off-football season when football fans really need one another, I believe new life will surge and/or old life will return, and what once was will be again. Everyone is always welcome, and Paulie, if you're there, the invitation is extended to you as well... :D HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Re: NEW YEAR...

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:34 pm

I second that.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby maineiacgirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:46 pm

So sorry I have been MIA - I have a hard time catching anyone. I actually kind of liked the old place where everyone was on the same page :D
It seems when I try to come on, everyone is on a different thread and there is no real conversation going on unless you are a fan of their team or want to discuss a specific team. I don't have all that much to contribute to a serious football conversation these days. This is the biggest reason I have not been around.

I'm guilty of getting off topic. ( I don't tend to stay on any one subject for more than a minute - it's a Gemini thing. I'm very flighty. ) It has gotten me in too much trouble with sensitive people and those that are far more serious about football than I am. Sports are nothing more than an escape to me lately, getting taken to task because I support a team someone else hates is more than I can deal with. I want to watch as many games as I can - but I want my sports discussions to be drama free and light hearted. Since I'm a Patriots fan - supporting my team has made me public enemy #1 and I don't have the energy to defend my right to celebrate a victory with a little light hearted smashmouth razzing. Others prefer a more intense analytical discussion and apparently there is no room for a simple "Go Pats" "better luck next time" remark. I don't want to piss anyone off with my style of celebration. I don't mean enough by it to want to offend anyone and lose friends.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN I DON'T VALUE THE FRIENDS (and family) I have met here and at Faux. I'm grateful for getting off topic because it was an off topic conversation that led to Shadow contacting me in private to apologize for a comment he thought may have offended me. The rest is history and now I have a beautiful son that demands most of my time.
maineiacgirl
Rookie

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm hoping this year (that friends and family will begin coming back) and will utilize the perk of rooms for rent to speak on whatever subjects they wish. I notice that on facebook people freely talk about not only football, but any number of subjects, including employment or lack thereof, politics, sports other than football, television--all of the things that everyone discusses comfortably all day and night at facebook.
There will be some other advancements made here as well, and I'm not sure yet, but I believe you will be able to block people from seeing your profile if I'm not mistaken. That seems to be a popular feature elsewhere, lol. :lol:
BTW, Carrie--thank you for popping in--it's always good to see the mother of my Godson. You are welcome here any and all of the time... <3
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby maineiacgirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:59 pm

I know I am welcome - and you are also welcome in New York ! (hint hint)

I'll try to pop in once in a while :D

LOVE YOU! HUGS!
maineiacgirl
Rookie

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)