Just wanted to..............

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Just wanted to..............

Postby TryThinking » Wed May 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Say hello to Swiss, I'm buried knee deep in life and work!
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Re: Just wanted to..............

Postby Emeritus » Wed May 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Sorry to here that, Try. When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is quit digging.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu May 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Try: Don't stop! When you do, you have too much time to think, and that's not a good thing. I know things are going to get better for you, so just be sure to enjoy the 'life' part of the equation--and keep the smile!!!
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sat May 07, 2011 6:51 am

LOL, ck, we obviously have different philosophies. I believe that we should take time to think. Socrates said, "The uncontemplated life is not worth living." I believe that we should take time to be grateful. We only have to look around us to see how fortunate we are. I feel so much sympathy for the lonely. Take time today to smile at a stranger.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Still treading water and just wanted to say a big hello...
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:42 am

When I was young, an Episcopal priest told me that we are all treading water and that only the love of God keeps us afloat.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 am

Smelling the roses is a good thing, Em--it's just that when that is all there is, we tend to grow old quickly. I don't say we shouldn't lean back and appreciate it too much because we get really lazy and I know (in my case), I get really depressed. I don't like to kill myself working, but having too much time affects me adversely as well.

And to that--I've gone to work with my mentor (in grad school) at St. Thomas University. It's working wonders on my psyche! I mean really, there's nothing healthier than being around young, good-looking athletes (my occasional office overlooks the gym) while you work. Keeps the blood flowing, even in an old broad like me ;) . Seriously, getting out has been really good for me. I was spending way too long locked up with my writing. It's no wonder I was blocked--you need fresh air and a life for fresh ideas to write. Hopefully I'll be back to my old self just in time for the football season.

Things seem to be looking up in the negotiations and it's about damned time! I am so football deprived--cannot wait for the football talk to begin again...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:31 am

ck, I recommend that you read the little essay called "Being and Doing," by Thomas Merton. As I recall, it is in his book No Man Is An Island. Merton believed that many of the things that we do are simply distractions, but I couldn't begin to state his case as well as he did. He was a wonderful writer. Perhaps it was because he was a poet who became a Trappist monk and wasn't allowed to speak, but everything he wrote was well thought out.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks, Em--I'll take a look around for some of his work.

Looks like B id getting closer (IF WE CAN BELIEVE THE HYPE...) and hopefully, any day now the talk will turn to football...WHOOOOOPPPEEEEEEE! :up:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 am

WHOOOOOPPPEEEEEEE!

My sentiments exactly. I've never managed to get interested in other sports. It's an old joke in Texas that the two favorite sports are football and training camp. I'm going to be following a local high school team this year, too.
Emeritus
MVP

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)