SWITZERLAND FORUM

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Re: SWITZERLAND FORUM

Postby Emeritus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:29 am

Good morning, Swiss! We had an overnight rain here and everything outside seem fresh. With the dust settled the air even seems to smell different. I wish you all a beautiful morning.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:48 am

Emeritus wrote:Good morning, Swiss! We had an overnight rain here and everything outside seem fresh. With the dust settled the air even seems to smell different. I wish you all a beautiful morning.

Em, please send the rain 300 miles West. Thank you.
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby 16Forever » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:53 am

..........And with the 7th pick in the NFL 2011 draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Reagan Murray, Water Boy out of Texas Christian University ---- THE CROWD GOES WILD!
Attachments
murray.JPG
murray.JPG (10.82 KiB) Viewed 17042 times
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:08 am

Good Morning Swiss~
Am on a borrowed pc (when it's available) till my new one arrives later this week so it's hit and miss for me posting till then.
While the judge ruled to lift the lock out I think a stay is uncertain although the NFL will appeal the ruling and yes, the legal fees continue to mount :down:. I'd guess the NFL pays the league's attorneys but the players legal fees??? Not sure if the former NFLPA does or not?
The draft is going to be challenging and different w/ so many unsigned players and contracts up in the air. At least all 32 teams are in the same boat....
Don't think any more talks are scheduled till May 16. But, I think I read while still several hundred million apart at least the owners had backed down for their original demand of a 2nd billion off the top. Believe both sides had agreed to maintain the current 16 game reg season format for 2 yrs unless both sides agreed to something different. And, some progress had been made toward a rookie wage cap and retirement / health care benefits for retired players. Soooo, I'd like to think progress is being made.
No doubt the thousands of everyday people whose jobs depend on the NFL are counting on an NFL season. The unemployment rate is high enough w/out those folks losing their jobs and incomes. While it's incredibly frustrating for so many of us and everyone has an opinion and wants to lay blame on the owners or players, we just have to hope and trust a negotiated agreement will be reached sooner rather than later....
Last edited by Baglady on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby 16Forever » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:12 am

Bags - Amen to sooner than later...The lockout may "technically" be over but the mud fight will continue.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 am

Even a discussion of a rookie salary cap must have the agents frothing at the mouth. They are they ones who push for a big guarantee, because they get their cut up front out of the guaranteed money.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 am

dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:56 am

Sports Illustrated once did a spread on the expressions of Tom Landry, with captions that included concern, intensity, anger, joy, elation, despair, triumph and excitement. All of the photos were the same.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 am

Prayers for all the folks in AL and other areas devasted by the tornadoes yesterday :( .
Hope tenn10 and his family are OK.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 am

How are things where you are, Lady? It's been beautiful weather here, with some overnight rains, but clear days. We had a low off 55 degrees last night, which was about 10 degrees cooler than it's been. I think that the folks in San Antonio are praying for rain.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Where is everyone? Holidays are over...I guess maybe we're heading into vacation time, with no sign of football on the horizon. Doesn't anyone feel the need to vent about it? Goodness. I am so wanting to talk to everyone and see how you all are feeling about it. I'm working hard at getting my spirits up and having Em and Craig here for the week has been a huge plus, but I NEED TO TALK FOOTBALL. I am so damned angry at the owners, the players and everyone else involved in the (so-called) "talks." I remember the '84 strike as though it was yesterday. The players that were striking surrounded our cars as we drove into the stadium, begging us not to patronize. I just couldn't give it up, though--and I saw some of the best football that season too (as a matter of fact, the Phins went to the SB that year--it was early, early Dan Marino). Some grand characters too were introduced. I particularly remember Bernie Parmalee--the UPS delivery guy who got called in and played his heart out. As a result, he ended up with a position and played for a few years. Even the players didn't hold a grudge with him because he broke strike. They loved him because of his heart, character and love for the team and the game! There were others too, of course, but he was the stand-out with the Phins.

For those of us old enough to remember the '84 strike year, maybe we could share some stories about players who came in to play and ended up like Parmalee, playing for a time to come...
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:52 pm

I remember the '84 strike well. Friends can disagree, so I'll say that I wouldn't cross a picket line if they were giving away money on the other side. The owners have all of the money, all of the power and all of the political connections. Part of my study of history involved study of the labor movement and the murderous attempts to repress it, often with the backing of troops. Football just isn't that important to me. But that's just my feelings on the matter.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for the link, but after reading it I may have to get a lawyer to explain it to me. It seems that they are back in business but the players can't participate, except to be traded. In the meantime the NFL is appealing to stop that. Did I get that right?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:23 am

Emeritus wrote:I remember the '84 strike well. Friends can disagree, so I'll say that I wouldn't cross a picket line if they were giving away money on the other side. The owners have all of the money, all of the power and all of the political connections. Part of my study of history involved study of the labor movement and the murderous attempts to repress it, often with the backing of troops. Football just isn't that important to me. But that's just my feelings on the matter.

I understand your point of view, and I can't say as it was easy to cross the lines in '84, but I did it anyway--although I was mighty uncomfortable when some of my favorite players approached our car and literally begged us not to go in. You are right about the power and money being on the owners' side now, though--but there's some seriously big money on the players' side as well today. The greed on both sides is palpable, and in an economy where people can't feed their families, I am hard-pressed to imagine how any of the owners or players can look in a mirror without hating what they see. Ticket prices and then food/drink once you get into the stadium are insane. They have taken a sport that blue and white collars can enjoy, side by side--equally--and turned it into a rich person's game. At nearly 100. a ticket, 200. a parking pass and sodas at 8.00--well, you certainly don't see families in the stands like we once did.
The greed has got to stop. Owners and players alike need to take satisfaction in making comfortable money and stop raping and pillaging the fans so they can build 22,000 square feet mansions. (Sorry, that was just the first example that came up--Brady is by no means worse than any of the others.)Anyone else have comments?
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:37 am

I certainly agree that things have gotten out of hand. We are a country that spends many times as much money on entertainment as it does on education. Then we wonder why we are falling behind in competition with other countries.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:42 am

Happy Saturday, Swiss! I hope that everybody is pleased with their team's draft choices. As expected, the Texans went for defensive players, but I doubt that it will be enough to shore up our joke of a defense.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 am

ck, do you know anything about University of Miami cornerback Brandon Harris? The Texans drafted him.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:06 pm

Emeritus wrote:ck, do you know anything about University of Miami cornerback Brandon Harris? The Texans drafted him.

He's good, Em. UM players traditionally do well in the NFL (with good coaching). Another thing--UM players have speed and you know how important that is in a corner! I think you and Reeceykins are going to be happy with that choice.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins have once again totally underwhelmed me with the draft choices and I can't help but feel that 'mediocrity' is a superlative when describing this year's draft. I give them a D- (although an F would work as well).
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:29 pm

LOL, you're always going to be more negative than me, ck, because your expectations are so much higher. Since its beginning, my team has struggled just to have a break-even season or two. If they don't do great I'm mildly disappointed, but hardly surprised. Every win is a cause for celebration.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Sun May 01, 2011 8:51 am

Emeritus wrote:How are things where you are, Lady? It's been beautiful weather here, with some overnight rains, but clear days. We had a low off 55 degrees last night, which was about 10 degrees cooler than it's been. I think that the folks in San Antonio are praying for rain.

Em, Friday was the 1st day in over a week that we had sunshine 8-) ! Still cool temps but Fri and yesterday were beautiful here :up: . Today, more rain and clouds (so far) - wish we could share that w/ San Antonio or wherever it's needed. Your TX's received props on your daft choices :up: . No doubt the picks addressed the D needs. G' Luck w/ them (unless... ah, you're playing the Colts...).

CK, on the Dolphins draftees, your glass is half full as usual - lol :lol: :lol: :lol: ! Good grief, Pouncey should be a great acquisition :up: - not sure on the others.

Aren't all 1st rounders Hall of Famers on draft day??? We'll see how they work out. While I'm not sure how, I truly believe we will have a season!
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Sun May 01, 2011 2:51 pm

LOL, it was no secret that we needed help on defense. The jury is still out on whether or not there will be any improvement. Since the team's first draft it has made a defensive player its first round choice in all but two years and yet we still have a terrible defense. It's not like improving the personnel on defense hasn't been a priority. We will see if Wade Phillips is the man to turn it around.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon May 02, 2011 11:08 am

Baglady wrote:
Emeritus wrote:How are things where you are, Lady? It's been beautiful weather here, with some overnight rains, but clear days. We had a low off 55 degrees last night, which was about 10 degrees cooler than it's been. I think that the folks in San Antonio are praying for rain.

Em, Friday was the 1st day in over a week that we had sunshine 8-) ! Still cool temps but Fri and yesterday were beautiful here :up: . Today, more rain and clouds (so far) - wish we could share that w/ San Antonio or wherever it's needed. Your TX's received props on your daft choices :up: . No doubt the picks addressed the D needs. G' Luck w/ them (unless... ah, you're playing the Colts...).

CK, on the Dolphins draftees, your glass is half full as usual - lol :lol: :lol: :lol: ! Good grief, Pouncey should be a great acquisition :up: - not sure on the others.

Aren't all 1st rounders Hall of Famers on draft day??? We'll see how they work out. While I'm not sure how, I truly believe we will have a season!

Pouncey yes. All the rest--bullshit! I hope they keep Ricky (you know how I feel about him--his work ethic with the Dolphins has been exceptional and consistant), but watch--they'll let Ricky go and keep Ronnie Brown, who has been injured every single year he has been with the team. I shudder to think of what their next move will be. I'm quite sure Dolphin management is trying to kill me with their rotten choices and moves.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Tue May 03, 2011 10:03 am

It is currently 55 degrees in Beaumont, TX. That's about 20 degrees cooler than this time yesterday. The high today is expected to be in the low seventies after hitting the high eighties lately. We had another nice rain last night, too. It's all quite a relief.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Thu May 05, 2011 7:16 am

ImageImage
September 15, 1922 – May 3, 2011
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu May 05, 2011 10:46 am

Wow, he was old!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm

dredwak wrote:ImageImage
September 15, 1922 – May 3, 2011

Oh sadness. I really loved Jackie Cooper. I don't suppose he was well for awhile, because I haven't seen him in years, but he was great not only as a child actor, but in the '50s/'60s he had a great television series. I can't remember the name of the show, but he was an Ensign in it. Long time ago...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri May 06, 2011 7:17 am

I saw the most movies when I was a little kid. I could ride the bus uptown and see a movie every day. That was when it was safe for a small kid to be out by himself, because all adults made it their business to look after children. It was a different world.
Beaumont had several uptown movie theaters and they changed movies every few days, so I could see a new movie every day. Movies were a much bigger thing then, because the television programming wasn't what it is now. There were a lot of movie magazines in the newsstands and people would actually read movie reviews.
What I remember were the stars. It was still the day of the studio system and the leading ladies and men were really promoted. My idea of a movie star was formed then and all of that type are now dead. The current stars seem small in comparison. I realize that I'm old-fashioned, but in my mind's eye I don't picture a raving beauty having a tattoo. I guess that I'm just feeling nostalgia for a time that will never come again.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 pm

.......................................BOOM!
Attachments
FishFood.JPG
FishFood.JPG (27.09 KiB) Viewed 17330 times
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Sat May 07, 2011 6:53 am

Did anybody read Michael Moore's take on the operation? I think that the man has lost his mind.
Emeritus
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)