SWITZERLAND FORUM

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Re: SWITZERLAND FORUM

Postby Emeritus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Once again the Texans had to come from behind to win. We are 2-0, but we haven't scared anybody. Next week we have to play the World Champion Ravens and I'm predicting a high-scoring game.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Hey there Em. Thanks for keeping the page going! I've only been online via my phone and as I've explained before, I don't know my password so the only way I can get on here is via my laptop where my password is saved.

My Fins as you've probably noticed are 2-0 as well; however, I think it's because our defense has been able to keep us in the games so far. Tannehill has no protection at all. Once again we are faced with a feeble offensive line that can't seem to stop a dust particle, much less a defensive tackle from getting at our QB. Tannehill is lucky he hasn't been seriously maimed yet, and unless someone does something about protecting him, we aren't going anywhere but down as the season progresses. How many years until the owner and coaches figure out that no offense can properly function without being able to protect the quarterback?????

On a happier note, I hope all is well with you personally. I've been a little under the weather, courtesy of my chemically induced spinal meningitis aka Arachnoiditis; yet I have every intention of making the game on Sunday. I hope both our teams come out 3-0...
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:24 pm

I hope that you're feeling better, ck. Since my bouts with cancer, I've been in better health than I deserve. I'm able to get lots of exercise, although I can't jog for obvious reasons. I'm able to eat anything that I like, including the Cajun food that I so love, without ill effect. I'm still able to take one of the lady friends dancing almost every weekend. I'm looking forward to it being the season for music and dance recitals. Now if the Texans will just put together some wins against tough opponents, I'll be satisfied. They are playing the AFC West and NFL West this year. A few years ago those were patsy divisions, but not anymore! The Broncos and Forty-niners and Seahawks all look tough.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 am

I am sweating out this weekend. Up till now we haven't played a powerful team, but (despite the injuries) Atlanta is the strongest team we've played and it could get ugly. It was moved from 1:00, which as everyone knows is in our favor because of the heat, to 4:00, which pretty well removed what little advantage we might have had. It will be better for me (if I wasn't such a big Fin Fan) though, because the heat is one thing I have a miserable problem with (that nasty disease of mine again).

As with your Texans, we play tough divisions this year. The Fins will have to be for real--no pretenders will get through this season as winners. Why is it that I believe more in your Texans than I do in my Fins?????
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:32 am

The Texans fans are hopeful. This is the fourth consecutive season that the Texans have started 2-0. They have won their division three years in a row and have advanced in the playoffs the last two years. Maybe they have peaked, but of course the fans are hoping that they will continue to improve. When I started blogging at Fox in '07, the Texans had never had a winning season and they went 8-8 that season. That's why my expectations have always been reasonable and I've been satisfied. In some ways, the Texans are settled: they have the head coach and defensive coordinator that they want, there is no quarterback controversy and they have some pretty good players everywhere. It might not be a Super Bowl team, but nobody is going to take them lightly.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:17 am

Dear Em...I am so sorry about your Texans yesterday. Seems like a couple of the top tier teams had unusually bad days yesterday. This is such a strange, strange season.

I'm still not quite sure I that I wasn't just dreaming yesterday. Fins haven't been 3-0 since 2002! It was a rough game and (as usual with my Fins) a battle to the very last second on the clock. I have to be satisfied with coming out of it with a win, but damn I wish we could have at least one game where we don't just win, we shut some team down from the first play of the game and never have a doubt it will be a win. It's tough on an old broad like me to be stressing through every single minute of every game!

I'm sure your Texans will be back in top form next week--they don't take losing easily.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am

LOL, I would rather the Texans had won, but I'm not upset about it. I expect them to lose more games this season and they were playing the World Champions at their place. As long as the team doesn't string a lot of losses together, I'm not going to throw in the towel. Look how many years I waited for them just to have a winning season!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:41 am

As always, you have a much better attitude about loss than I. It's been so long since we started three and oh, when at one time, great starts were a given. We have a big away game coming up this week on MNF. In the past, the Fins have played especially well on Monday nights. It would be nice if we could go 4-0, but I'm not counting on it. We too have a tough season, and I'm holding my breath!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:02 am

I sure hope that you win, ck, but the main thing is to enjoy the game. It isn't about winning every game, it's about being there at the end. It is still way too early to guess how things will work out, so I'm just going to be happy that it's football season. Did I ever mention that I find the off season almost unbearable?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:13 am

You and I both find off season intolerable, Em. I treasure every second of the on season, but after so many losing seasons it would sure be a treat to have a winning one.

Sorry about your Texans yesterday. I thought they had that game for sure. I'm sure by next week they'll have their kinks worked out. The Seahawks seem to be getting stronger each week. Oh and those damned Patriots!!! I wanted them to lose so badly. I turned off the game in the middle of the fourth quarter when the talking heads started gushing about Brady. They were making me sick to my stomach...

Colts looked great so Ms Bags must be happy--and how about Peyton Manning???? He's playing better than he did when he was in his twenties. Poor Eli, on the other hand. He's just trying to keep his head above water.

It has certainly been an interesting first quarter of the season...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:26 am

I'm not so bummed as you might suppose from Monday night's game because I totally expected it. The team has been winning via smoke and mirrors and actually, I'm relieved that the truth is now out in the open. Ross and Philbin were so busy reading the hot damn reviews about the Fins that they forgot to pay attention to the details (such as the fact that Ryan T has a huge problem letting go of the ball, which is a necessity under any circumstances, but particularly important when you have no offensive line). That, of course, is just one of the issues. The defense, I hope they recognized, is not an iron curtain. I would say that when they play the top tier teams, it's more like a crocheted drape.
I continue to despise the owner and believe that Philbin is no genius and barely adequate as a head coach.
The fans immediately responded to the wins and the stadium was packed for our first home game. I've been sitting in a half-empty stadium for threeish years now and it felt good to see the fans feeling good about themselves and their team, but the cost of an NFL ticket is too high to hope that people will keep showing up to sit through abysmal losses such as those the Dolphins have been handing up for several years now.
I resent the attitude of Ross that we're just awful fans and he's going to take the Fins away from us. Here in South Florida we have swimming, fishing, skiing, two college teams to follow, surfing boating, tennis in the outdoors and so many other diversions that do not sap up close to $100. a seat plus $8. a beer and then leave you feeling like you have been mugged and robbed. He dares to question our loyalty in this economy??? I am lucky enough to be able to afford our four seats, but for years now it's been a mission to get people to fill them. It's October now and the temps are still boiling in the low 90s with humidity that makes breathing a chore. Give us a product and we respond...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:10 pm

I've been disappointed because my Texans keep winning the statistical battle, but lose the games. We're the only team that is in the top five in both total offense and total defense, but we're 2-2. Because of points given up by our special teams and offense, the Texans are a miserable 23rd against scoring, in spite of leading the NFL in total defense. Wade Philips' defense is all over everybody, but it is being let down by the others. It's time for our head coach to earn his salary.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:25 am

At least you have hope that the Texans will get it all straightened out and you'll be winning more and more. The Fins? I don't think so...

The security director for the Fins is a friend of mine since childhood. He's been with the team since the Shula years. We're having dinner next weekend on our bye week. I can't be negative around him because he is so loyal to the team and management I really piss him off when I start talking my talk. I'm really anxious to talk to him about his feelings on what's happening there now. I hope we have a win this weekend so we'll both be in a good frame of mind and don't get to arguing.

I dread the heat during the game. It's still so hot and humid here and my seats are in the sun...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:42 am

I dread the heat during the game. It's still so hot and humid here and my seats are in the sun...

Our stadiums has a roof not because of cold or rain, but so we can close it up and air condition it on hot game days. The humidity has been awful here and the mosquitoes are swarming!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:20 am

Ours is open because (regardless of fan comfort) the heat was one of our home field advantages. Even if a team was better than us, by the end of the third quarter the heat was our twelfth man. For some reason, the heat is no longer doing it for us (perhaps our teams are that much worse? or that they have scheduled as many 4:00 games as possible since Ross took over?) and the only ones wilting and dying from the heat are the fans...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Wow...I was going to apologize for my long absence and come to find you haven't been around either. I hope all is well with you--this is longer than your usual breaks. I guess I have to check you out at facebook--or have you too gone the way of all others :roll: and left me alone here? That would really be depressing...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:37 am

Okay Em...now I AM getting worried. This is some kind of a record for you, PLUS you haven't responded on facebook. I do wish I had an emergency contact for you...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm sorry that I didn't take time to get word to you, ck. One of my oldest friends is dying and I'm afraid that I've neglected everything else. Please bear with me and I'll get back to you.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 am

I'm back. I hope that everything has been well with you and your family. My Houston Texans seem to have fallen apart while I was preoccupied with personal affairs. I'm disappointed, but it confirms my determination not to make an emotional investment in something that I can't control. How is your writing coming? I know that you have had a lot of distractions.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:53 am

I'm so sorry for your loss, Em. As you know, I've recently lost a close friend and one of my dearest students recently, so I know what you are feeling.
Football? I don't know whether your Texans are trying to imitate the Dolphins or what, but the two teams seem determined to lose even the most win-able games! Tannehill can't hold up much longer under the punishment he's been subjected to for sure. I feel worse for you because your team really had expectations. My team was just another year of cutting superior players, replacing them with inferior players and then just throwing them onto the field to play.
We took a 24 hour trip to NYC for another cousin's wedding. It was great to be with my family, but I had a bad flare of my ARC and it reminded me that I am getting closer and closer to being a full cripple. I don't usually talk about my illness online, but I feel now that this is simply my text board with an old friend. I'm recuperating and getting ready for a huge Kindle promotion of MYSTERY. October 22-26th it will be offered free--I'll be putting the link up at facebook. If you have a Kindle, whether or not you've read the book (or care to), please order a copy. It goes toward sales numbers and helps to get it seen by more mystery readers. Please tell your friends...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Too too quiet around here. Has Switzerland breathed its last breath?
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:02 am

For some reason, my browser is opening this site on page two. I've been seeing myself as the last one to post and figuring that you hadn't been here. I guess that I've been slow to catch on. I have no idea to straighten it out, but I will remember to check the page number from now on. I've seen on Facebook that you have visited family and I trust that everybody is well and happy. As for my Houston Texans, I'm already in the "Wait 'til next year" mode. They seem to be taking the year off.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:08 pm

You and me both, Em. I'm just holding my breath for this weekend... "Massacre in New England." We couldn't beat Buffalo in our own house, oh whatever will be facing NE in theirs? I know this: when NE is angry over a tight Division loss (such as v. the Jets), they come at their next team with murder in their hearts and a very carefully plotted revenge. When the Fins have a tough loss...they just lay down and die (example: last three games).

On a happier note, I'm glad you found your way to the front page, I was beginning to give up completely on old Switzerland. Great to have you back!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:09 am

Now that the weather is nice and I'm feeling more energetic, I don't seem to have anything to do. I'm not the sort of person who accumulates a lot of things to be sorted out. I have finished cataloging all of my papers, as if anybody will care. I guess that it is time for me take on a new project, as soon as I think of something that I want to start. I hope that you and your family are well. As far as our football teams go, I'm not optimistic.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Our weather actually didn't suck (yet) today ;-). The humidity is down and we're in the low '80s, Hallelujah!!!

I've been satisfying myself with the rapid 'sales' of MYSTERY. Today's the last day of the promotion and it looks probable that I'll hit 60,000 by midnight. Weirdly enough, they count the freebies as sales, so my ranking should move up considerably. It's really helping to inspire me to forge ahead with the sequel. I'd been in such a general funk and letting the downside of life get to me way too much--anything positive in my life helps.

We are in agreement regarding our teams. I'm sure it's worse for you because your team has been moving well and the tease of big things to happen this year seemed real. The Fins have done nothing but tease (and they don't even do that well) for, hmmmmm, we're now in the 14th year of misery. They can't blame the 13-year Marino Curse anymore... :roll:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:19 am

Just checking in to say hello to any and all passing by, with a special hug to Emeritus! Have a wonderful day...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:56 am

At least the bye week meant that my Texans didn't lose last weekend. I'm hoping that they used the time off to regroup. I haven't given up on them, but they will need to finish strong if they are to make the playoffs again.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:57 am

I hope your Texans can make a come back, Em. There is no chance for the Dolphins, I'm quite sure. Philbin seems to get more feeble after every game, and I'm sick and tired of his pathetic post-game speeches where he has that hang-dog look and tells us that they must be doing something that isn't quite right. Really? Such brilliant deductions! I'll be watching the massacre at Joe Robbie Stadium tonight. For some reason I'm feeling like the Fins might surprise us. Used to be when I had that feeling it was actually correct and the ferocious Fins would come charging on to the field and bring us a win. I simply don't trust my intuition right now.

On a happier note, the weather has finally let up a bit, and we're having chunks of days that are less stifling. I can even sit outside on my terrace occasionally. Hope all is well in your world and that you're feeling good...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 am

It is raining ferociously here and it is suppose to last all day. I've been checking the pantry to see if I have enough food to hold out. I went outside when slacked off, but then I got so wet that I had to change all of my clothes. I don't watch daytime television, so I may take a nap. If the Texans don't do well against the dangerous Colts this weekend, I'll take another.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:33 am

Aha! So you nap the losses away, eh? Wish I could do that--instead, I rave like a lunatic and keep changing the stations when something bad happens, then coming back and then leaving and then coming back...well, I think you get the picture. In our fourteenth year of bad bad and worse, I have found a sense of humor about it. It doesn't look like our numbnuts owner is going anywhere soon; Ireland has been re-upped for years and Philbin? He's just plain pathetic.

Sounds like you're preparing for a monsoon out there. We have those periods here too, but it hasn't been so bad this year, thank goodness...
cklaurence
Godmother

PreviousNext

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)