SWITZERLAND FORUM

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Re: SWITZERLAND FORUM

Postby Emeritus » Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

That's a picture of Harry Harmon winning the first Indianapolis 500 one hundred years ago. In those days racing involved less skill than courage. There were no seat belts - one riding mechanic was thrown out onto the track during that race - or helmets and the tires were really bad. The car pictured had a unique feature. The contraption mounted over the cowling is a rear view mirror, the first ever mounted on a car. By using it, Harmon was the only one able to race without a riding mechanic to watch the rear.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sat May 28, 2011 8:15 am

Happy Saturday, Swiss! It's a long holiday weekend, so remember to pace yourselves. It's no fun to be sated or hung over before the end of the weekend.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sun May 29, 2011 7:08 am

Good morning, Swiss! It is definitely summertime here. I think that I've been invited to a barbecue every weekend for the next couple of months. At the risk of being kicked out of the Texans club, I have to admit that I really prefer Cajun food to barbecue. I think that it was the boudain that converted me.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon May 30, 2011 7:44 pm

I hope that you have all had a wonderful holiday weekend with your families. I've been to too many barbecues. I've eaten too much fat and had way too many Shiner beers. The visiting was fun, though.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:08 am

I'm beginning to think that I've thrown a party and nobody came.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:38 pm

It is currently 100 degrees in Beaumont, TX. Time for a swim.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Emeritus wrote:I'm beginning to think that I've thrown a party and nobody came.

dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:15 am

Yes, and I bought all of this booze!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:11 pm

All I can say is we must have a huge contingent of *hooverers, hoverers and silent onlookers. For sure when the NFL owners and players get their acts together, this place will be hopping once again! :D
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 am

Hump day doesn't mean much when you're retired. Every day is Saturday for me. I'm not complaining, it's just an observation.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Every time I stop by to chat, no one is around. I miss my Swiss Family. I wish we had some real football news to discuss--it's starting to get depressing. I just got my notification that tickets are available for several games at my 'discounted' season ticket price. One of the games is Texans. REECEY and EM should get together and come down for that one. My treat if you do, but let me know soon so I can make sure I have extra seats! (Em--if you see Reecey on one of your football pages, tell him about my offer, please.)
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:22 am

I no longer blog at Fox Sports. I often see Reecey while passing through Facebook to a football private group that I was invited to join. Thank you for your generous offer. It is hard to plan for a trip for something that you don't know will happen. With the stalemate in the negotiations, there may not be a season at all. I'm planning on watching a lot of high school and college football this year.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:55 am

Emeritus wrote:Hump day doesn't mean much when you're retired. Every day is Saturday for me. I'm not complaining, it's just an observation.

you must have the cartoon channel...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:22 am

you must have the cartoon channel...

I like to think of it as continuing education.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:46 am

Good morning dear Switzerland...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 pm

cklaurence wrote:Good morning dear Switzerland...

'morning
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Wow, what happened to the weekend?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:12 pm

What weekend?
I had my daughter here for the past few days--left this morning. Man, am I missing her. Abby and Josh are away at the camp they work at every summer for the summer and it was nice to have Em here to raise my spirits.
Tomorrow I have an appointment with the head of St. Thomas University's Sports Administration program (where I got my Masters). They called and asked if I was interested in working with them on some (mystery) stuff, and I jumped at the opportunity. I have to get out in the world again, get my blood pumping and adjust to life better so I can get my head back into my writing.
It's been a tough couple of months, but I'm determined to get my sense of humor back and prepare for football season. I'm hoping Switzerland gets busier too with the advent of football again. It's time, right? I feel so football deprived! I hate to sound petty, but all I can think of is all the interest Ross is earning on the thousands upon thousands of dollars he made us pay up front with no promise of a team or a season. Perhaps he's out buying more movie star partners, lol. I note Marc Antony is now on some televisions series. I wonder if that means he and JayLo won't be at all of our games with their "Fins Up" shtick. I note the stadium is still painted with all that Brito shit--so it looks more like Candyland than football still. I guess our big pow-wows with management were exactly what I thought--something to keep the big ticket, long-time season loyals 'thinking' what we say means something. Fortunately I'm smarter than that, and I never thought for a minute our opinions would count!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 am

Our Texans have never made the playoffs, but at least the management is very fan friendly. I have a neighbor who is eager for the season to start because he wants to enter the tailgate contest. There are a lot of divisions, so there is a chance of winning whether you have a small or large setup. There are cash prizes, plus you get free parking spaces for your rig the next season.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Afternoon Swiss faithful.... CK, the project at St Thomas University sounds perfect for you - go for it, have fun and keep us posted.
Em, a tailgate contest? Great idea - may have to suggest that here. And, providing we have the season as scheduled, I just know your TX's will challenge for the AFC South. Jags and Titans, not so much - imo...
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 pm

For the Texans it's all a question of whether or not they can improve their defense under Phillips. It's unlikely that anybody in the AFC South will have really good defensive numbers as long a Peyton is playing, but even a halfway good defense would be a big improvement. When you're dead last there is a lot of room to improve.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 am

We went three weeks without rain, which is a major drought here. Yesterday and this morning it has rained a deluge. If some old guy with a boatload of animals comes by, I'll begin to worry.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:04 am

A fun long Independence Day weekend to all. Happy Birthday, America!

american-flag-clipart-1.jpg
american-flag-clipart-1.jpg (223.17 KiB) Viewed 17723 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Well, the owners have agreed to a new contract. Now if the players will get with the program we'll have something to talk about!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:58 pm

(((((crawling out from under her rock and looking around--shakes her head rather violently...)))))
ARE YOU MESSING WITH MY HEAD??????? ARE YOU TELLING ME WE STILL DON'T HAVE THIS THING WRAPPED UP AND DONE WITH????? ((((((...HEAD STILL SHAKING...STATING AS SHE CRAWLS BACK UNDER HER ROCK :? :break: ...))))) THE GREED IS JUST TOO SICKENING FOR ME TO GRASP!!!!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:11 pm

I'm ready to start throwing rocks. This is like two little kids in a breath-holding contest. It's time for adults to step in and give both sides a spanking.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 am

Never have figured out how to post a link here???? Sounds like the "Greed-A-Thon" may finally (geeesh, what an understatement) be over. It's reported the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to terms of the new CBA - with ratification and a return to union status expected today. :up:
The season will be played as scheduled but wihout any summer OTA type activities, I'm afraid we're in for some ugly, sloppy football w/ even more injuries than usual. :down:
I'd think it's going to be especially tough for teams with new HC's and rookie QB's.
Get ready for a Free Agency frenzy and a REALLY busy couple of weeks. Training facilities open tomorrow - maybe?
But, sounds like football is BACK :D :D :D :D :D
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:17 am

dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:22 am

Baglady wrote:Never have figured out how to post a link here???? Sounds like the "Greed-A-Thon" may finally (geeesh, what an understatement) be over. It's reported the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to terms of the new CBA - with ratification and a return to union status expected today. :up:
The season will be played as scheduled but wihout any summer OTA type activities, I'm afraid we're in for some ugly, sloppy football w/ even more injuries than usual. :down:
I'd think it's going to be especially tough for teams with new HC's and rookie QB's.
Get ready for a Free Agency frenzy and a REALLY busy couple of weeks. Training facilities open tomorrow - maybe?
But, sounds like football is BACK :D :D :D :D :D

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-and-nflpa-agree-to-terms-of-new-collective-bargaining-agreement-072511
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:35 am

Emeritus
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)