SWITZERLAND FORUM

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Re: SWITZERLAND FORUM (everything else is just a message bo

Postby Emeritus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:28 am

I buy Kleenex six boxes at a time. When I die Kimberly-Clark will have to lay people off.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:54 am

congratulations to the Notre Dame ladies basketball team...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 am

dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 am

dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:24 am

When you're retired every day is Saturday.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:42 am

guten morgen...Image
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:36 am

Guten Morgen, Herr Dredwak.
Emeritus
MVP

Re: SWITZERLAND FORUM

Postby Emeritus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 am

It's hump day, Swiss. Everybody be happy!

snoopy_happy_dance5b15d.jpg
snoopy_happy_dance5b15d.jpg (8.06 KiB) Viewed 29721 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:51 am

Hello and happy humpday to my Swiss Family! <3
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 pm

The way that the weather is shaping up, I'm going to be paying huge electric bills keeping this old barn air conditioned this year. I'm seriously thinking of closing the place and spending the late summer in a cooler climate. I wonder what late summer is like in Maine?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 am

Good morning, Swiss. I must be a busy week for everybody else. One of the nice thing about being retired is that I have time to visit with friends.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:01 am

Before daylight I made coffee, went out on the porch and greeted Spring. The birds sounded happy. Don't forget to enjoy the day.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Hey Em (and all the other Swiss *Hooverers)!

The Blue Jays are out in force these days--noisy bunch, they are. In the mango tree that hangs over the second floor balcony (off our bedroom), they sit and wait until I let Princess out there in the early a.m. As soon as she runs to the railing they all come out screaming and fluttering at her. My tenacious little Princess shows no fear, but I always worry that they'll nip at her eyes or whatever. They are mean little critters. They insist on nesting in MY mango tree and then think they own it. In the summer, when the mangoes ripen and I go out to pick them off the ground, they've pecked at my head more than once.
We have an enormous number of wild parrots here as well. I'm told some have flown in from South America and some were escapees from the Parrot Jungle (nka Jungle Island)--then they all mated and oh my! I think of them as the rabbits of the bird kingdom. At least the parrots don't bother with people like The Blue Jays...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 am

Blue jays are mean birds. We mostly have mocking birds here (it's the state bird of Texas). They will attack you if you come near their nest. Mainly they are an annoyance because they sing really loud and they will do it all night long, except during the molting season. They imitate the songs of other birds and other sounds. I have a friend who swears that there is one who imitates his neighbor's car alarm. It makes the bird and the neighbor unpopular.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:09 pm

I can't get that picture out of my head, Em. Imagine how often that car alarm had to have gone off for the humming bird to start imitating it?!? I can definitely see that as a problem in the neighborhood...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:49 pm

I have no idea how long it takes a mocking bird to learn a sound, but I don't think that it takes it long. It doesn't know what sort of sound it's imitating - birds are idiot savants - but it picks them up easily.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:06 am

Not sure but don't think we have mocking birds this far north. Lucky for us the way it 'sounds'.... Blue jays, yes and agree they are mean birds. Cardinals are the IN state and probably the most common bird here.

No NFL :( but enjoy the day...
Attachments
sunday-1.gif
sunday-1.gif (48.62 KiB) Viewed 28335 times
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 pm

HAPPY SUNDAY, MS BAGS AND THE REST OF THE SWISS FAMILY AND FRIENDS!

Cardinals are beautiful, beautiful birds too. Of course, you all know how much I love all the animals. I even think pigeons are pretty. Ever notice all the iridescent colors on their chests?
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:34 pm

Hmmm, and speaking of colorful birds--how about my buddy Tom Brady? Amidst all the talk about 'fair pay' for football players and other issues going on, while we fans sit on the sidelines hoping against hope we'll have a football season, we learn he is building a 22,000 square foot mansion in Brentwood, CA. Of course, he and all the players can do whatever they wish with their paychecks, but his timing might be just a little off here. It sends a rather obfuscated message to fans and players. Fans are having problems getting enough money to attend games--or even to pay for cable to watch them, and here's Brady building a 22,000 square foot mansion. I guess he does a lot of entertaining... ;)
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:59 pm

If he can afford a building site in Brentwood, he can certainly afford to build a 22,000-square-foot home on it. I don't feel any resentment at all. It isn't like he's some first-round draft choice spending his signing bonus. Tom has earned his money. Besides, I wouldn't trade my house for some new mansion. I have the good fortune to live in a house that has been our family home for generations. I was raised from a baby there and played on the porches, the widow's walk and the hayloft in the carriage house. It may not seem like much to anybody else, but it's special to me.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:09 am

He certainly has the right to buy whatever he wishes with his money. I just think his timing leaves something to be desired. I'm not one of his fans, but if I were, I would be thinking twice about now. It doesn't matter what kind of a house he prefers, or whether it has a rich history (not everyone has the opportunity to live in the house they grew up in)--it's strictly about timing (IMHO). The average person in this Country today is having trouble holding on to the homes they live in, much less buying a new one at any price (never mind a 22,000 square foot home in Brentwood, CA). It seems like a thumbing of his nose at everyone. Just sayin'...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:23 pm

While I understand the 'timing' issue on Brady's ah "home", to be fair, from what I've read, he bought the 'parcel' of land back in 2008 and his new digs have been under construction for a yr so it isn't a recent transaction. And he just sold or at least put up for sale a pricey apartment in NYC. So while I am no NE fan, I'm not sure it's fair to criticize Brady on his 22,000 sq ft, 8 bedroom home. It'll never happen but I sure would love to be invited to see it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, MN judge Nelson has ordered both the NFL and players (no union so I'm not sure of their status) back to mediation. Since they were ordered to mediate in Minneapolis, it would seem to favor the players. Progress :?: :?: :?: Anyone's guess. At least it's "activity"....
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Baglady wrote:While I understand the 'timing' issue on Brady's ah "home", to be fair, from what I've read, he bought the 'parcel' of land back in 2008 and his new digs have been under construction for a yr so it isn't a recent transaction. And he just sold or at least put up for sale a pricey apartment in NYC. So while I am no NE fan, I'm not sure it's fair to criticize Brady on his 22,000 sq ft, 8 bedroom home. It'll never happen but I sure would love to be invited to see it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile, MN judge Nelson has ordered both the NFL and players (no union so I'm not sure of their status) back to mediation. Since they were ordered to mediate in Minneapolis, it would seem to favor the players. Progress :?: :?: :?: Anyone's guess. At least it's "activity"....

I did not realize it was an ongoing parcel. The way it was brought up on the NFL radio show I was listening to made it seem as though it was just happening now; however, I'm pretty hard core, and even if I were invited, I would not care to go. I have no desire to see how he lives or where. All I want from Tom Brady is a good game when the Phins play against him, and a big loss by the Patriots. :lol:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:08 pm

You are both welcome to visit me at the ancestral King home in Beaumont, TX.
shanty.jpg
shanty.jpg (170.36 KiB) Viewed 27878 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:46 am

I'll only come visit if your bathroom has a bidet.
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:09 am

Uh, we have a very low water fountain. The place was built in 1906-07, so it was lucky to have indoor plumbing. On the other hand, one of the bathrooms has a fireplace, which can be very pleasant.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:35 pm

6a0115709f071f970b014e879b8d1e970d-400wi.jpg
6a0115709f071f970b014e879b8d1e970d-400wi.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 27879 times
"I remember taking a walk with my mom and dad around the block," Brady said before pausing and allowing his eyes to well up with tears. "It was just a tough day, you know?"hahahahaha...hahahahahaha...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Hey dred! Is your boy Brady growing his hair until he wins another SuperBowl?? :lol: He really does look like a girly-mon now. Funny, how his hair was thinning and then all of a sudden he has this big, full head of hair. Go figure...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:03 am

Hmm. My hair is thinning - maybe I should let it grow long. No, I couldn't stand it.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:39 am

Good morning, Swiss. It's another gorgeous day in Southeast Texas!
Emeritus
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)