IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET?

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET?

Postby cklaurence » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

I'M SO READY... (REMEMBER, MY TEAM WAS ALREADY OUT OF IT A COUPLE OF WEEKS BEFORE THE END OF THE 2010 SEASON--SO I'M ALREADY FOOTBALL DEPRIVED FOR WEEKS...
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Re: IS IT FOOTBALL SEASON YET?

Postby Emeritus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm just hopeful that when the new season does get here the Texans will be better prepared. I think that Wade Phillips will be an improvement over our old defensive coordinator. Now if we can just pick up some better defensive backs and one more pass rusher.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:15 pm

MARCH 4TH IS DOOMSDAY!
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:26 am

LOL, when somebody says Doomsday I always think of the old Dallas Cowboys defense.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Em - this is the modern day version -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6107737
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:29 am

16Forever wrote:Em - this is the modern day version -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6107737

NFL and the NFLPA are at an impasse.... not a good sign :down: . Combine, yes; draft, yes - beyond that :?: :?:

Goddell's tenure will likely be defined by what happens.
Best case scenario, an agreement SOON... :up: Otherwise...
An abbreviated season :cry: .
Perhaps
Attachments
Replacements.jpg
Replacements.jpg (2.47 KiB) Viewed 16556 times
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 pm

I will not support replacement football. I follow local high school football and college football and that will have to do. I refuse to pay the NFL's inflated prices for an inferior product. Frankly, I have no sympathy for either side in the dispute. Both seem spoiled rotten to me.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:43 pm

dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Congratulations on making the winning Super Bowl pick, Dred. I managed to get in the first pick, but I expected a lower score. The last two touchdowns messed it up for me. It was still a great game between two good teams.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:01 am

Must have been quite a CBA meeting Feb 5 :cry: :down:
Several articles (Michael Silver of Yahoo among others) report Panthers owner J Richardson belittled Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and other players asking them what they could know about player safety and if Peyton needed help reading a revenue report. Here's just a little of what's been reported from the mtg:

"Richardson treated the Colts’ quarterback like a dimwitted child. After Manning questioned the financial urgency of the owners’ request in the absence of documentation – a common union refrain – Richardson became agitated and dismissive while lecturing the player about the risks that their employers assume.

“He was condescending to Peyton,” said one player who was at the meeting. “He tried to talk about P&L [profit and loss] statements and all these other risks that the owners assume, as if Peyton didn’t know anything. Drew interrupted and said, ‘All we’re doing is just asking you to show us your books. We want to negotiate in good faith.’”"

Sure hope Goddell keeps Richardson quiet cause he sure isn't helping resolve an already tough situation....
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm

You would think that the other owners would put a muzzle on him. The owners who have built the new stadiums have notes that must be met whether there is a season or not. Some of them like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder have put lots of their own money into the stadiums and I doubt they care for Richardson's tactics.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Baglady wrote:Must have been quite a CBA meeting Feb 5 :cry: :down:
Several articles (Michael Silver of Yahoo among others) report Panthers owner J Richardson belittled Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and other players asking them what they could know about player safety and if Peyton needed help reading a revenue report. Here's just a little of what's been reported from the mtg:

"Richardson treated the Colts’ quarterback like a dimwitted child. After Manning questioned the financial urgency of the owners’ request in the absence of documentation – a common union refrain – Richardson became agitated and dismissive while lecturing the player about the risks that their employers assume.

“He was condescending to Peyton,” said one player who was at the meeting. “He tried to talk about P&L [profit and loss] statements and all these other risks that the owners assume, as if Peyton didn’t know anything. Drew interrupted and said, ‘All we’re doing is just asking you to show us your books. We want to negotiate in good faith.’”"

Sure hope Goddell keeps Richardson quiet cause he sure isn't helping resolve an already tough situation....

I was listening to NFL Serius today, and the consensus is that Peyton's taking more hits in the 'talks' than he does on the field! That's it--start turning the players on one another, that'll do it!!!

Some nice turn of events for me though. I've been asked to meet with Dolphin upper management in a focus group (AND they're buying me dinner, 'wooo hoooo' as someone I loved use to say...). Pretty cool, huh? I guess that's one way to shut a loud-mouthed dissenter up, tee hee.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Em, actually owners Kraft, Mara and Hunt were reportedly upset by Richardson's remarks at the Feb 5 mtg, so hopefully they'll keep him quiet or better yet absent from future CBA mtgs....

CK, turning the players on one another??? With all due respect... Peyton took hits from Richardson but otherwise all I've read has been critical of the owner Richardson. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you - it happens - lol!
Sure Peyton and Brees have their haters but also quite a bit of respect from other players...

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports wrote:

"Richardson’s comments to Manning could backfire on the owners. In 1987, for instance, the NFL was able to split the union in large part by creating what was known as the Quarterback Club, a marketing arm that led several top quarterbacks to stop supporting the union. In the case of Manning, who is not a player representative or member of the NFLPA’s executive board, his opinion carries great weight throughout the NFL. Last August, Manning said he would be completely supportive of the union’s cause at the proper time, but has largely stayed in the background.
Having him fully behind the union could be important to maintaining unity."

CK, a Dolphins focus group - oh my, I would LOVE to be at that meeting :D Let em have it!
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:16 am

The only time that I was invited to join a focus group, all that they did was invite me to give them money. ck, did I ever tell you that I was invited to George W. Bush's inaugural banquet? Of course they expected me to make a contribution to help defray his campaign expenses. I have no idea how they came up with my name, since I'm a liberal Democrat.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:59 am

Let's see if I can address everything...

'Replacement' football: I reserve judgment as to whether I shall support it. Last time it was played, I saw some of the most earnest football I had ever seen. Those guys really wanted to be seen and appreciated. Their futures depended on it! I remember the guys who were on strike coming up to me outside the stadium and literally begging me not to go inside. I did go inside, though. Mind you, everyone (I think) knows that I have no love lost on the owners. They have to be the greediest sons of bitches in the world. Dolphins' owner in particular--hasn't a clue about the game or what the fans want (and maybe even what the players are supposed to be doing on the field). He'd just as soon have them smoking out in Margaritaville, so long as he has his orange-carpet crowd with him in his box--but well, as I tend to do, I digress... I suppose what I am thinking is that I want to see who is being sillier and/or greedier and/or more ridiculous as season draws near. How many gazillions do the owners need in profit? Also, they are just dealing in money, whereas, the players are putting their lives (literally) on the line. I do know that the answer is not to put any more referees on the field to keep things safe because as it is, there are so many now that the players are tripping over them when trying to get the plays off already. Ridiculousness. Just when I think they can't make one more bonehead move, though, they find a way to make one. It's all very confusing, and of course, my heart leans toward the players.
In that respect, I am sure I don't think we need to pay unproven rookies the salaries they are being paid. Save that for when they've shown what they can do. (Especially in this economy) $250,000. seems like a right nice number for kids who are starting out. Give us a year or two of what you've got going, and THEN you can talk about a contract!!! Incentives can always be built into that figure, and if the player turns out to be a star right out of the 'gate,' the rewards would be there. Seems fair to me. What do they call that kind of a system, er, being paid on your job performance, hmmm?
Well, I could definitely blast away at this subject alone for hours at a time. I do fear, however, (as is often the case) they will get bogged down in 'clause A, letter C dot dot dot...' and forget what they are meeting about--ending of course, with a shortened season. I can't imagine NO season at all, as the owners are far too greedy to allow that to happen...

As for my focus group invitation (and yes, Bags--voice will be loud and clear!)--I have not been asked for any money contributions, and in fact, they are buying dinner. I consider myself extremely lucky to have the opportunity to meet with upper management in a small group. One thing I am sorry about is that Switzerland is so slow right now, because if it were 'kicking,' I would invite them to monitor it for awhile to see what the real fans are saying--not the bozos that are shooting their mouths off on the other blogs (where it's more about sex, drugs and rock 'n roll than football).
I am impressed that Ross is smart enough (or one of his advisors???) to set up focus groups with upper management like this, and although I don't know how they have chosen those of us who have been called upon, I'm sure my forty-something years of holding seasons ticket might have something to do with it! I plan to use my experiences at Lucas Oil as an example of how to get it done properly, as well as the days long ago at UM, where keeping the fans IN THE GAME every minute of it was an art--and based on the number of National Championships The U had back then, makes a huge difference. They need to get rid of this starf*cking--homage to the movie and recording stars--in place of replays and the like! Oh, yeah, Bags--I plan to have a manuscript with my litany of issues set out and put on the agenda. Anyone who has been to a Fin game in the past couple of years (since the slide down with owner Ross) is encouraged to chime in with suggestions...

I know I have missed some of the issues to cover, but I've already spewed enough to start the day. I'll leave this for everyone to digest, and see what else our little band of merry men and women has to say. Wish Try was here, but my focus thingy isn't till March, so he should be here well before I go. I'm sure he'll have stuff to add! :up: <3
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:53 am

CK - lots of food for thought there! I totally agree w/ you on the rookie wage at somewhere around $250K w/ incentives. EARN a lucrative cotract! :up:

Using replacement players - have mixed feeling about that... A little encouraging news is the mediation began yesterday. But I will be surprised if there isn't a lock out - the 2 sides are just too far apart.
From an article:
"The biggest issue separating the sides is how to divide about $9 billion in annual revenues. Among the other significant points in negotioations: the owners' push to expand the reg season from 16 to 18 games while reducing the preseason by 2 games, a rookie wage scale and benefits for retired players."

There really seems to be a contradiction imo where the owners emphasize player saftey while at the same time want an extended 18 reg game season. Bigger rosters and practice squads, more bye weeks :?: :?: :?: How bout they just reduce the preseason tic prics - :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Left my 'comments' for your Dolphin focus group on your team topic.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:00 pm

It's February 19. It's 75 degrees and partly cloudy and I'm wearing shorts. Wandering around the yard I decided to have the rose garden torn up and replanted. The first season after the bushes have been pruned by the field growers is always the best.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

We are still having highs of seventy-five degrees. Normally at this time of year we don't have to run our air conditioners and we get a little relief on our electric bills, but not this year. My old house has high ceilings and it takes a lot to cool. Still, it's better than the snow storms that they are having in the Mid-west.
Emeritus
MVP

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)