*Breaking News*

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

*Breaking News*

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

It's official:
Jeff Fisher and the Tennessee Titans have agreed to part ways.
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Re: *Breaking News*

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:28 pm

I saw that. Everybody in Houston hated it when Bud Adams took the Oilers out of town, but they weren't sad to see the last of Bud. I wonder if the new coach will be required to put up with Vince Young's immaturity?
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Emeritus wrote:I saw that. Everybody in Houston hated it when Bud Adams took the Oilers out of town, but they weren't sad to see the last of Bud. I wonder if the new coach will be required to put up with Vince Young's immaturity?

I didn't see anywhere that said that VY was staying? I thought that was already determined that he was gone next year. :?
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 pm

Troy Aikman and Wife Split After 10 Years

Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman and his wife, Rhonda Aikman, have separated, The Dallas Morning News reports.

"This has been a difficult decision for Rhonda and me, but after 10 years of marriage we have decided to separate," Aikman told the newspaper. "We remain deeply committed to our children and respectfully ask that you honor our family's privacy during this period of adjustment."
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Report: Dallas faces stripper shortage :o

Game tickets and parking spaces are not the only things in short supply in Dallas ahead of Super Bowl XLV.

Dallas-area strip clubs, expecting a boom in lusting patrons, are scrambling for exotic dancers to meet the expected onslaught, TMZ reported Thursday.

Showtime Cabaret’s John Walsh told TMZ his establishment is looking for an additional 100 to 120 lap dancers for the big football weekend.

One advertisement says, “We Want You!! Ladies, are you coming to [Dallas-Fort Worth] for the big game week? Want a safe, clean club to make the big $$$ in?”

Walsh said the 60 or so Dallas-area strip clubs will require approximately 10,000 strippers combined.

Officials from Arlington, Tex., home to Cowboys Stadium where the game will be played, said they expect 300,000 visitors for Super Bowl weekend.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:14 pm

TryThinking wrote:It's official:
Jeff Fisher and the Tennessee Titans have agreed to part ways.

Jeff Fisher is out as the head coach of the Tennessee Titans, the team announced Thursday on Twitter. But the NFL’s longest-tenured head coach will leave the franchise with a pricey parting gift, FOXSports.com has learned.

NFL sources said Fisher will receive $8 million as part of his settlement to walk away from the Titans after 16 full seasons — the majority of what was due in the final year of his contract. Fisher was to receive $5.6 million in salary for 2011 with a $4 million bonus. The move is expected to be announced as a mutual parting of ways.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:11 am

TryThinking wrote:
Emeritus wrote:I saw that. Everybody in Houston hated it when Bud Adams took the Oilers out of town, but they weren't sad to see the last of Bud. I wonder if the new coach will be required to put up with Vince Young's immaturity?

I didn't see anywhere that said that VY was staying? I thought that was already determined that he was gone next year. :?

The item that I read said that it was expected that Bud Adams, who was the one hot to draft Vince in the first place, would bring him back.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:40 am

I've always had a lot of respect for J Fisher and think he's a great coaching talent. He will end up somewhere soon hopefully outside the AFC South. Would love to see him as DC in Indy although not likely.
Have to wonder just who the Titans will get - no better HC than Fisher out there imo.... And yep, with Fisher gone, Adams will likely bring back V Young. Talented QB but not worth the his 'issues'.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Timeline of sorts:

1/6 ~ In a statement released by the Titans organization Wednesday afternoon, Adams said:

“As you are aware, we have been engaged in a series of internal discussions over the last month about the future of our football team. We have two critical decisions to make – the direction of the coaching staff and the future at the quarterback position. They are separate issues to me and will be dealt with separately.”

“Today, I informed our general manager Mike Reinfeldt to move forward with plans to begin the process of identifying the next quarterback for our franchise. He will inform Vince Young’s agent that Vince will not be on our roster next season. I want to offer my personal thanks to Vince for all of his positive contributions to the club.“

“These kinds of decisions are never easy and this is especially true for this particular player. I certainly wish that things would have worked out better, but I think it is best for the franchise that we move on at this point. I also informed Jeff (Fisher) today that I was continuing the evaluation of the coaching staff and I am hoping to make a decision soon.”

1/9 ~ Ideally, Bud Adams said he would have liked Jeff Fisher and Vince Young to work things out and work together. However, as the Tennessee Titans entered 2011 off-season, it became apparent that wouldn't happen.

Adams, the Titans' owner, announced this week he would retain Fisher – the team's coach since 1995 – and trade or release Young, the quarterback the team selected No. 3 overall in the 2006 NFL Draft. Adams said Saturday the decision was about fixing a problem as quickly as possible.

"We couldn't keep both of them," Adams told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean Saturday. "When you have a problem you have to fix it. The coach is a veteran guy, and Vince is a young guy, and Fisher is under contract and he didn't want to have Vince playing for him. I was thinking we could get him and Vince together, but it wasn't going to work. It is one of those things where we had to buckle down and get it over with.''

1/10 ~ Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams was bluntly honest, telling the Tennessean that he retained coach Jeff Fisher because he wasn't about to fire a coach and still have to pay him.

“With what I am paying him, I am not going to let him go and pay him a lot of money,” Adams said. “I was thinking we could get him and Vince [Young] together, but it wasn’t going to work so I had to stick with Jeff and let Vince go.”

1/27 ~ Jeff Fisher and the Tennessee Titans have agreed to part ways.

Looks like an owner that has problems making up his mind and in reality lets the dollar override his brain. If indeed VY is brought back because of Adams bromance with him from the get go, watch out for the fans wrath when VY goes into another wonderlic meltdown and the fans realize that he was the cause for Fishers demise. Time will tell if Adams reverses course and in the mean time the stability is shook up with the team when they should be thinking about future draft picks.

I'm sure there will be stories a plenty popping up on twitter/facebook/sports blogs etc about this player was behind Fisher and that player was behind VY, but for me I think actions speak higher than words and we all saw what the freak show VY is capable of. Good luck Fisher in your future endeavors, be it coaching again after the year off or some well deserved stress free retirement.

UPDATE:
1/28 ~ Titans' Young still will be moving on:
The Tennessee Titans still do not expect QB Vince Young to return next season, executive vice president and general manager Mike Reinfeldt said during a news conference Friday.

"The plan is still the same. We will look to make a trade or will release him," Reinfeldt said when asked about the team's pending decision with Young.

Young is due a $4.25 million roster bonus on the 10th day of the new league year, and the team announced earlier this year it would decline to pay it. Young also is carrying a base salary of $8.5 million for the 2011 season, the final year on his rookie contract.

There had been speculation the team would bring Young back once it was announced Thursday that head coach Jeff Fisher would not return for the 2011 season.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Challenger disaster:
Nasa marks 25th anniversary
:(
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm

i remember going to work early to watch the launch on tv in the office...i must have sat there for an hour afterward with a stunned expression on my face... R.I.P. Image
dredwak
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 am

I kept thinking about all the school kids watching the teacher (Christa McAuliffe) going into space..... :(
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:39 am

I was driving up I95 with my mom--I was "Claudia's Kitchen" back then and we were going to try to find really comfy shoes because I was standing and walking so much of the day. It was a particularly cold day--even by Miami standards. Straight ahead we saw exactly the picture that TT printed below. It appeared to be so close to us that we couldn't put together the launch and that site. We knew, though, that something had gone terribly wrong somewhere. By the time we got to the mall, it was as dead as our poor astronauts, and the few people that were there were pinned to the VERY FEW televisions watching the news :break: .

It's weird, you know--how back then the only televisions were in the departments that were selling televisions. Now they are all over the stores, in your face. (Usually--and please don't get upset with me, as this is not a rag on politics, but rather an objective observance--whether it is in a doctor's office or a deli, there are huge televisions with FOX News quietly playing. "Fahrenheit 451" anybody?)
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:25 pm

I've been reading the weather forecast for the Midwest and the East and it's amazing. It's sunny and 70 degrees in Beaumont, TX. On the other hand, I guess that they don't have to worry about hurricanes.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:46 pm

We'll be due for hurricanes again eventually--we've been five years without any, but you never know. They seemed to have moved slightly west to hit of late. Miami Beach has been indescribably magnificent for the past two years. It's just like it was when I was growing up--a little piece of paradise. It got unbearably hot all year-round, starting in the early '90s, and last year it reverted to the way it was ("The Way We Were?")--and I'm loving it! <3 :up:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby dredwak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 am

Image 1/31/2011 Suspended Alosi resigns from coaching position with Jets
dredwak
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:36 pm

:o "Resigned" my butt!!! I just wonder what sweet little plan he and the JESTS worked out for him :?: . Everyone KNOWS that Ryan knew he was going to put his leg out there, and was behind it all the time :roll: . Ryan would have been even happier ( :lol: as would his staff and players--save for Jason Taylor) had our player been hurt and knocked out for the season. :down: :down: :down:

NOTE to PEACE: <3 Darling, love of my life, dear, dear PEACE... :idea: :?: I so wanted a little angel icon to put next to JT's name up there, but couldn't :down: find one...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Believe it was TT that correctly expected the Titans to announce Mike Munchak as their new HC - good call. Still think they should have kept Fisher and that B Adams is the real problem. Just my opinion....
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)