Vent Town

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Vent Town

Postby TryThinking » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I didn't want to trash the Lounge. Damn car broke down and missing work, have to spend hundreds more when the belts already been tightened. Bummersville USA :roll:

Breaking into my Germany fund ..... razem frazem ......
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Re: Vent Town

Postby Emeritus » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Bummer! January is the most depressing time of the year. The weather is gloomy (actually it's wonderful here), the Christmas bills come due and the holidays are definitely over. Sometime you just have to stick it out and put things back together over time. Good luck!
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Emeritus wrote:Bummer! January is the most depressing time of the year. The weather is gloomy (actually it's wonderful here), the Christmas bills come due and the holidays are definitely over. Sometime you just have to stick it out and put things back together over time. Good luck!

I'm just venting today, I don't really have a depressing time of year. Can't really complain about our weather usually year round and I pay for almost everything in cash so no need for the CC bills. ;)

Glass is always ½ full here until I'm sporting the dirt blanket.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:30 pm

<3 I just LOVE the idea of a Vent Town. Perfect! We can deal with our woes here from all areas of our lives. I do love my Switzerland so!!! <3
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Sorry bout your car TT.... Germany fund????
Hmmm, didn't get any help on another topic so I'll try here. How do I get the 'powers that be' add additional NFL icons here at Swiss???? Yes, I'm thinking 'horseshoe' :roll:

Great to be in FL on vacation this time of yr - I don't even like to call on clients in Jan - just miserable in IN now.... So I'll just enjoy the sunshine while I'm here. :D
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Baglady wrote:Sorry bout your car TT.... Germany fund???? Thanks........Yes going to Germany next month for a week
Hmmm, didn't get any help on another topic so I'll try here. How do I get the 'powers that be' add additional NFL icons here at Swiss???? Yes, I'm thinking 'horseshoe' :roll: I'd direct that to CK, CK did you catch that? ;)

Great to be in FL on vacation this time of yr - I don't even like to call on clients in Jan - just miserable in IN now.... So I'll just enjoy the sunshine while I'm here. :D If it wasn't for my car breaking down, I'd be enjoying it too :roll:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 am

TryThinking wrote:
Baglady wrote:Sorry bout your car TT.... Germany fund???? Thanks........Yes going to Germany next month for a week
Hmmm, didn't get any help on another topic so I'll try here. How do I get the 'powers that be' add additional NFL icons here at Swiss???? Yes, I'm thinking 'horseshoe' :roll: I'd direct that to CK, CK did you catch that? ;)

Great to be in FL on vacation this time of yr - I don't even like to call on clients in Jan - just miserable in IN now.... So I'll just enjoy the sunshine while I'm here. :D If it wasn't for my car breaking down, I'd be enjoying it too :roll:

TT, Germany sounds like a great place to visit / vacation :up: Any stopovers on your flight east???

LOVE the new icons here! THANKS CK <3 :D
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 am

I lived in Würzburg for a year, doing graduate work at the university. Take an overcoat!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:26 am

Baglady wrote:
TT, Germany sounds like a great place to visit / vacation :up: Any stopovers on your flight east???

LOVE the new icons here! THANKS CK <3 :D

On the way back, I'll be in Atlanta for about 6½ hours on a layover. Going to meet up there with Becky hopefully and do dinner. :up:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 am

Good Morning Switzerland!

Don't thank me for the new icons--as much as I would like to take credit for them. It was all Peace :up: . I'm thinking that as people (return to) join our family, other icons will appear too. As of now, I see every one or our regulars (or not-so-regulars, as the case seems to be right now) are represented.

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that if you make any other requests, it's a possibility Peace will add others. He can be addressed, as always, in his Peaceful Corner. :up: :up: :up: Don't you just love our Peace? <3
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby 16Forever » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Good afternoon shoppers, welcome to Vent Town. The nations largest vent and accessory warehouse. We crush the competition with the lowest prices and the best service on the market.

Greetings CK, hope all is well with you...........TT, no offense, just popping into say Bon Jour.
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Shoppers at Vent Town???? Where do you get your material 16F??? LOL :lol:

TT, hope it works out for you to meet her in Atlanta. I met her last summer and as expected, had a fun time w/ a cool lady. After all, she is a COLTS fan... ;)

CK, thanks for the clarificatin on the icons. PEACE, they are much appreciated - THANKS !!! :up:
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:07 pm

Baglady wrote:TT, hope it works out for you to meet her in Atlanta. I met her last summer and as expected, had a fun time w/ a cool lady. After all, she is a COLTS fan... ;)

I won't hold that against her. :lol:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Emeritus wrote:I lived in Würzburg for a year, doing graduate work at the university. Take an overcoat!

i did some window shopping... 8-) :o and spent the night in frankfurt...during the first gulf war...nice folks...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Keeping The Peace » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Baglady wrote:CK, thanks for the clarificatin on the icons. PEACE, they are much appreciated - THANKS !!! :up:

WHISTLE BLOW!!!

You are welcome. :up:

Moderator Peace
Play nice or go home....
Keeping The Peace

Postby Emeritus » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:39 am

dredwak wrote:
Emeritus wrote:I lived in Würzburg for a year, doing graduate work at the university. Take an overcoat!

i did some window shopping... 8-) :o and spent the night in frankfurt...during the first gulf war...nice folks...

You must have gone through the Rhine-Main air base.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:10 am

i was intimate with a starlifter jump seat...Image cant say i recommend it...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Good afternoon wonderful men. You gave me my first smile of the day (not counting watching "Maverick" this a.ml. :up: ). Thanks for being here!
TRY THINKING: So what are your thoughts on the P.O.S. Offensive Coordinator the Frickin' Fins hired?? :x :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

Peace? What about a 'broken heart' icon? :break:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:31 pm

cklaurence wrote:Good afternoon wonderful men. You gave me my first smile of the day (not counting watching "Maverick" this a.ml. :up: ). Thanks for being here!
TRY THINKING: So what are your thoughts on the P.O.S. Offensive Coordinator the Frickin' Fins hired?? :x :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

Peace? What about a 'broken heart' icon?

If I had any hair I'd be pulling it out.... there is no method to the madness from what I can see. :down:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Keeping The Peace wrote:
Baglady wrote:CK, thanks for the clarificatin on the icons. PEACE, they are much appreciated - THANKS !!! :up:

WHISTLE BLOW!!!

You are welcome. :up:

Moderator Peace

Pretty much everything technical, clever, innovative and/or bright, are his ideas and definitely his creations. Swiss Family members are welcome to contact him with ideas or suggestions as well. :up:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:28 am

Can anybody remember a more boring Pro Bowl? In my opinion, Terry Bradshaw isn't much of a color man, but I doubt if anybody could have added color to that game. I went and sat in my porch swing and watched things grow.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 am

Emeritus wrote:Can anybody remember a more boring Pro Bowl? In my opinion, Terry Bradshaw isn't much of a color man, but I doubt if anybody could have added color to that game. I went and sat in my porch swing and watched things grow.

I don't watch it anymore since they put it on before the Superbowl, you don't get the best players playing their best. I remember the days when it actually meant something more than a free trip to party. Guys use to actually somewhat try to win. I read the crib notes, looks like I didn't miss anything this year as usual.... :down:
Can anyone tell me why this game is worth watching? :?:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:13 pm

TryThinking wrote:
Emeritus wrote:Can anybody remember a more boring Pro Bowl? In my opinion, Terry Bradshaw isn't much of a color man, but I doubt if anybody could have added color to that game. I went and sat in my porch swing and watched things grow.

I don't watch it anymore since they put it on before the Superbowl, you don't get the best players playing their best. I remember the days when it actually meant something more than a free trip to party. Guys use to actually somewhat try to win. I read the crib notes, looks like I didn't miss anything this year as usual.... :down:

Like Try--I'm done with the ProBowl. It's going to be difficult to even watch the SB this year. I will, but it'll be a stretch. :break: :down:
(Oh Peace! I just love the new icons!!! I know you don't go out of Switzerland, because you're not a blogger--you just have to deal with us; but I was talking to Try and Becky back on FB about getting a Swiss Ap that could be downloaded so everyone would have easy access to us. I that a silly impossible wish, or might I get a surprise <3 :!:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:18 pm

cklaurence wrote:
TryThinking wrote:

Like Try--I'm done with the ProBowl. It's going to be difficult to even watch the SB this year. I will, but it'll be a stretch. :break: :down:
(Oh Peace! I just love the new icons!!! I know you don't go out of Switzerland, because you're not a blogger--you just have to deal with us; but I was talking to Try and Becky back on FB about getting a Swiss Ap that could be downloaded so everyone would have easy access to us. I that a silly impossible wish, or might I get a surprise <3 :!:

I try to watch the Pro Bowl because it's the only game that week and I'm a football junkie. I agree that the game has deteriorated to being a joke. I, too, can remember when players were proud to play in the game and tried to impress their peers.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Emeritus wrote:I try to watch the Pro Bowl because it's the only game that week and I'm a football junkie. I agree that the game has deteriorated to being a joke. I, too, can remember when players were proud to play in the game and tried to impress their peers.

I would just get too frustrated watching that level of football where no one really cares and probably start throwing things at the TV!
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Keeping The Peace » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

cklaurence wrote: getting a Swiss Ap that could be downloaded so everyone would have easy access to us. I that a silly impossible wish, or might I get a surprise <3 :!:

WHISTLE BLOW!!!

Are you talking about for cell phones? If so I haven't done any of those "applications" as of yet. I'll add it to the wish list though for now. :lol:

Moderator Peace
Play nice or go home....
Keeping The Peace

Postby Emeritus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:32 am

Since I absolutely refuse to carry a cell phone, that's not a high priority for me, but everybody to their own thing.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Keeping The Peace wrote:
cklaurence wrote: getting a Swiss Ap that could be downloaded so everyone would have easy access to us. I that a silly impossible wish, or might I get a surprise <3 :!:

WHISTLE BLOW!!!

Are you talking about for cell phones? If so I haven't done any of those "applications" as of yet. I'll add it to the wish list though for now. :lol:

Moderator Peace

Yer the Best, dear PEACE!!! :up: :up: :!: :!: :!: <3 <3

<3 <3 <3 BTW...I left you another little icon request in the "Breaking News" Topic Room.... ;) :D :up: <3
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby dredwak » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:07 am

Understanding Derivatives-a Primer

Heidi is the proprietor of a bar in Chicago .

She realizes that virtually all of her customers are unemployed alcoholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronize her bar.

To solve this problem, she comes up with a new marketing plan that allows her customers to drink now, but pay later.

Heidi keeps track of the drinks consumed on a ledger (thereby granting the customers loans)..

Word gets around about Heidi's "drink now, pay later" marketing strategy and, as a result, increasing numbers of customers flood into Heidi's bar. Soon, she has the largest sales volume for any bar in Detroit .

By providing her customers freedom from immediate payment demands, Heidi gets no resistance when, at regular intervals, she substantially increases her prices for wine and beer, the most consumed beverages.

Consequently, Heidi's gross sales volume increases massively.

A young and dynamic vice-president at the local bank recognizes that these customer debts constitute valuable future assets and increases Heidi's borrowing limit.

He sees no reason for any undue concern, since he has the debts of the unemployed alcoholics as collateral!!!

At the bank's corporate headquarters, expert traders figure a way to make huge commissions, and transform these customer loans into DRINKBONDS.

These "securities" then are bundled and traded on international securities markets.

Naive investors don't really understand that the securities being sold to them as "AAA Secured Bonds" really are debts of unemployed alcoholics. Nevertheless, the bond prices continuously climb!!!, and the securities soon become the hottest-selling items for some of the nation's leading brokerage houses.

One day, even though the bond prices still are climbing, a risk manager at the original local bank decides that the time has come to demand payment on the debts incurred by the drinkers at Heidi's bar. He so informs Heidi.

Heidi then demands payment from her alcoholic patrons, but being unemployed alcoholics, they cannot pay back their drinking debts.

Since Heidi cannot fulfill her loan obligations she is forced into bankruptcy. The bar closes and Heidi's 11 employees lose their jobs.

Overnight, DRINKBOND prices drop by 90%.

The collapsed bond asset value destroys the bank's liquidity and prevents it from issuing new loans, thus freezing credit and economic activity in the community.

The suppliers of Heidi's bar had granted her generous payment extensions and had invested their firms' pension funds in the BOND securities.

They find they are now faced with having to write off her bad debt and lose over 90% of the presumed value of the bonds.

Her wine supplier also claims bankruptcy, closing the doors on a family business that had endured for three generations, her beer supplier is taken over by a competitor, who immediately closes the local plant and lays off 150 workers.

Fortunately though, the bank, the brokerage houses and their respective executives are saved and bailed out by a multi-billion dollar no-strings attached cash infusion from the government.

The funds required for this bailout are obtained by new taxes levied on employed, middle-class, nondrinkers who have never been in Heidi's bar.
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:29 am

I find a few logical flaws in the analogy, but then reasoning by analogy is always risky. To say that something is analogous is to say that it isn't the same.
Emeritus
MVP

Next

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)