Just Football

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Just Football

Postby Keeping The Peace » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 pm

Lets talk football!
Keeping The Peace

Re: Just Football

Postby Emeritus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 am

The 2010 season was so disastrous for my Houston Texans that I wanted a do-over on the season. Since I didn't get that, I'll concentrate on next season. Real fans never give up hoping.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing all the changes for my team work out. Let's see now. Offense was one of our main problems. We sucked at 22nd in the League, so our owner and GM (who has a grand new contract) went out and hired the offensive coordinator from Cleveland--which was 29th in offense. Is it just me who sees something a little wrong here?????
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:23 am

We had the opposite problem. We had the top rusher (and combined yardage leader) in the NFL and our quarterback threw for over 4000 yards again. We just couldn't slow down anybody, especially on pass defense. That's why the Texans fired the defensive coordinator and most of the defensive coaches. It will be interesting to see how Wade Phillips works out as defensive coordinator.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 pm

New coaches so far, who's next?

Image Raiders

Image Broncos

Image Browns

Image Panthers

Image 49ers

Image Vikings

Image Cowboys
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby 16Forever » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:44 pm

TryThinking wrote:New coaches so far, who's next?

Image Raiders

Image Broncos

Image Browns

Image Panthers

Image 49ers

Image Vikings
And I am so, so sorry that our Dolphins are not on that list! Ah, but we DO have a new offensive coordinator (whose last team was only about 7 levels worse than we were last year).

Image Cowboys
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:08 pm

cklaurence wrote:
TryThinking wrote:New coaches so far, who's next?

Image Raiders

Image Broncos

Image Browns

Image Panthers

Image 49ers

Image Vikings
And I am so, so sorry that our Dolphins are not on that list! Ah, but we DO have a new offensive coordinator (whose last team was only about 7 levels worse than we were last year).

It's a sin we aren't on that list. Oh wait! When he chose the new offensive coach, he picked someone who was being tossed out of a team that was much worse than the Fins. This was his move to get the offense on track? I can imagine where he'd go for a team coach--I believe Wannstadt is still being kicked around..
Image Cowboys
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby 16Forever » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 am

9 days until the Apocalypse. What's the percentage that a deal will get done? I'll go with 60% not getting it done. The glass is half full...

ps - CK these are for you
Attachments
2lips.JPG
2lips.JPG (14.78 KiB) Viewed 27476 times
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:38 pm

I don't have a clue. If I had to guess, I'd say that it will be done, but not by the deadline. I have a hunch that a deal will be struck after the draft, but before the camps open. Just remember the disclaimer that I stated in the first sentence.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:46 am

EM - the two sides are meeting every day for the next 7 days, finally a sense of urgency.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:48 am

I hope I don't have to rely only on college ball next year.... :roll:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:08 pm

High school football is huge in Texas! There is just no way to describe how great the interest is, or how strong the rivalries are. Perhaps it is because pro football came late to Texas, but that's just a wild guess. Everything else shuts down on Friday nights during football season. When a small town school has an away game, the town will be deserted except for the police left to prevent burglaries. Then we have a lot of big college rivalries, too, especially between the schools that made up the old Southwest Conference. I would still miss pro football, but I would make a lot of games.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:15 am

High school ball is very popular here in California too, but there is just so many options of things to do.
We've had some pretty strong teams over the years that competed for the National Championship.
One of the strongest streaks ever was by "Concord, CA, De La Salle" winning it in 1994, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003. Longest winning streak in High School history. Then we also had "Santa Ana, CA, Mater Dei" who won it in 1994, 1996. Although not winning a National Championship, there is a High School that produces year in and year out a large amount of talent to choose from. That would be Long Beach Poly.

Yes I watch a lot of High School ball too out here and catch most of the games from Mission Viejo High School which is where Mark Sanchez went. I do understand how intense it gets in Texas though and some of the large stadiums that they have for HS ball. :up:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:04 am

LOL, in most of the smaller towns the high school football stadium is by far the largest structure. In the flat country you can tell that you are coming to a town when you see the press box against the skyline.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm

16Forever
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:14 pm

Not a single owner attended any of the 7 mediation sessions :down: - didn't realize that. Sure doesn't sound like they're anywhere close to an agreement. :cry: But, Cohen is a well respected, successful mediator so hopefully it'll get done. The Colts P Garcon just asked (elsewhere) "What should NFL players do durng the lockout???" so no agreement likely by Mar 3 but hopefully before the draft.
We all need to remember the ultimate goal of what will be next season:
Attachments
2011_superbowl_big.jpg
2011_superbowl_big.jpg (41.35 KiB) Viewed 27463 times
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby 16Forever » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:45 pm

16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:10 pm

It looks like I'll be getting my football here (at the local high school) next fall.
Attachments
stadium.jpg
stadium.jpg (58.33 KiB) Viewed 27463 times
stadium_fpg.jpg
stadium_fpg.jpg (118.97 KiB) Viewed 27464 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:10 am

Dear NFL Fan,

When I wrote to you last on behalf of the NFL, we promised you that we would work tirelessly to find a collectively bargained solution to our differences with the players' union. Subsequent to that letter to you, we agreed that the fastest way to a fair agreement was for everyone to work together through a mediation process. For the last three weeks I have personally attended every session of mediation, which is a process our clubs sincerely believe in.

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that earlier today the players' union walked away from mediation and collective bargaining and has initiated litigation against the clubs. In an effort to get a fair agreement now, our clubs offered a deal today that was, among other things, designed to have no adverse financial impact on veteran players in the early years, and would have met the players’ financial demands in the latter years of the agreement.

The proposal we made included an offer to narrow the player compensation gap that existed in the negotiations by splitting the difference; guarantee a reallocation of savings from first-round rookies to veterans and retirees without negatively affecting compensation for rounds 2-7; no compensation reduction for veterans; implement new year-round health and safety rules; retain the current 16-4 season format for at least two years with any subsequent changes subject to the approval of the league and union; and establish a new legacy fund for retired players ($82 million contributed by the owners over the next two years).

It was a deal that offered compromise, and would have ensured the well-being of our players and guaranteed the long-term future for the fans of the great game we all love so much. It was a deal where everyone would prosper.

We remain committed to collective bargaining and the federal mediation process until an agreement is reached, and call on the union to return to negotiations immediately. NFL players, clubs, and fans want an agreement. The only place it can be reached is at the bargaining table.

While we are disappointed with the union's actions, we remain steadfastly committed to reaching an agreement that serves the best interest of NFL players, clubs and fans, and thank you for your continued support of our League. First and foremost it is your passion for the game that drives us all, and we will not lose sight of this as we continue to work for a deal that works for everyone.

Yours,
Roger Goodell
dredwak
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:41 am

Looks like Goodell is laying the cards on the table so that the Union has to respond.

I say we take the $9 billion dollars and put it in a fund for our men and women who fight for our country that REALLY lay it on the line!
I'm so tired of hearing about these whining multi-millionaires coming out of college demanding $50 million without even playing a snap..... :down:

I'm starting to enjoy Lacrosse more and more each day..... ;)
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:03 am

if there was any question as to whose stooge goodell is...i believe this letter clears it up...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:09 am

One of our local AAAA high school teams is expected to make a run at state this year. Perhaps Texas or Texas A&M will have a good year and of course I alway pull for Rice.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:33 am

dredwak wrote:if there was any question as to whose stooge goodell is...i believe this letter clears it up...

I say we flog them all :roll:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 pm

People don't have health care; our young men and women are fighting all over the globe; unemployment is out of control; people are homeless because of poverty and weather-gone-wild--the list goes on and on. And these jackasses are quibbling over billions? Get over yourselves. I never thought these words would ever come from me, but dammit! Go f*ck yourselves--players and owners alike. I can live without football...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:22 pm

cklaurence wrote:People don't have health care; our young men and women are fighting all over the globe; unemployment is out of control; people are homeless because of poverty and weather-gone-wild--the list goes on and on. And these jackasses are quibbling over billions? Get over yourselves. I never thought these words would ever come from me, but dammit! Go f*ck yourselves--players and owners alike. I can live without football...

I will get my fill on Fridays and Saturdays I guess. :up:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Image theres always auto racing...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Ah dred--you have all the answers... <3
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Sigh. When I learned all the answers they changed the questions.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:21 pm

(((((Giggles coming from the SouthEast)))))
cklaurence
Godmother

Next

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)