AFC West Denver Broncos

Welcome to CK Laurence's football blog. This is your forum to stay in touch with other football fans who don't need it to be football season to talk about their favorite sport. Fans of all teams are welcome to post in the topics 24/7. The only rule is to respect all others on the boards, no trash talk or name calling. So register, sign in and lets talk some football.

Moderators: Game Master, Justice, Keeping The Peace, Pollster

Re: AFC West Denver Broncos

Postby CSpringsNSD » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:12 pm

OnlyInUtah wrote:Our offensive line ranked near the bottom. We need new offensive lineman.

yeah it was pretty close to worst in the league. I put the ranking in here a while back, buried now.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:51 pm

PFF ranks us 25th.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Dallas is #1.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:20 am

Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:51 am

OnlyInUtah wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-11/

Here is PFF's rankings.

That one was only up to week 11. Our ranking dropped after that. I'll have to see if I can find the other one again.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:52 am

We actually went up, not down. 1 whole spot!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ra ... is-season/
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:17 am

Wow, pity for a rising talent to possibly be ended like that. Poor Garoppolo if this goes down.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bro ... li=BBnb7Kz
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:12 pm

A lot of what we need on this list. Not too familiar with all the players though.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/denv ... ncy-020117
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:04 pm

CSpringsNSD wrote:A lot of what we need on this list. Not too familiar with all the players though.

I have to agree with the needs he says we have the people Not so much. I think John has his eyes on a few people. We do have a bigger need for tackles on the O-Line more then a guard. That's my opinion but I saw our tackles give up most of the sacks this past season with Schofield coming in a close second. with the team not taking the option on Sly Williams you'd figure that he would have a great season being his contract was up. He had a terrible year. so yeah he should be gone I like Tyson Alualu he was with Jacksonville last season Nick Fairley Saints Both are 29 years of age but I think the guy to go after would be Kawann Short Panthers . He had 16 QB hits last season 2nd to Fairley's 22 he also had 55 tackles so he stops the run. he would be my first choice he only made a little under 1.2 million last season. played in all 16 games.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:58 pm

I checked on QB's that are UFA this season and you guessed it the names don't knock you off your feet. I don't see anyone who will make us all jump for joy but here are a few Don't shoot the messenger
Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Shawn Hill, Schuab, McGloin, E.J. Manuel, Gabbert, Cassel, Hoyer, Geno Smith, I have to stop it doesn't get any better. we will be better off with what we have maybe if Lynch can start. I would say half of these are a step up to Siemian. Again My opinion

left tackles are few Matt Kalil from the Vikings will be the man that all are after he will be about 8 million to get he's 27 years old Rilly Reiff from the lions is another that will cost you about that much he's 28 slim pickings.

Right tackles the pats Vollmer, Gosder Cherilus of TB and Andre Smith of MIN. these are the top 3 I saw more right tackles making more than 2 mill this season then I saw left. now could the rt be a LT ??????

Guards Ron Leary of the Cowboys stick out but He may cost Luke Joeckel hmm wasn't he a top tackle at one time? T.J.Lang GB he's 29 so he may want to be paid it could be his last contract at that age. Chance Warmack of ten. he's 25 there are others out there these are just the top 3 listed at NFL free Agents tracker
Hoppy
MVP

Postby OnlyInUtah » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Hoppy wrote:
CSpringsNSD wrote:A lot of what we need on this list. Not too familiar with all the players though.

I have to agree with the needs he says we have the people Not so much. I think John has his eyes on a few people. We do have a bigger need for tackles on the O-Line more then a guard. That's my opinion but I saw our tackles give up most of the sacks this past season with Schofield coming in a close second. with the team not taking the option on Sly Williams you'd figure that he would have a great season being his contract was up. He had a terrible year. so yeah he should be gone I like Tyson Alualu he was with Jacksonville last season Nick Fairley Saints Both are 29 years of age but I think the guy to go after would be Kawann Short Panthers . He had 16 QB hits last season 2nd to Fairley's 22 he also had 55 tackles so he stops the run. he would be my first choice he only made a little under 1.2 million last season. played in all 16 games.

I agree on the needs but when he says we have the personnel I think he's nuts. DT is the biggest need and our guards aren't that great either. We need a decent TE, DT, return man, and help at LB. Between the draft and free agency it will be hard to fill all of those positions with an upgrade. As far as a new QB...both the draft and free agency are pretty weak so I'd beef up the offensive line and use the QB's we already have this year. If they both stink it up next year then upgrade at QB in 2018.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:52 pm

Hoppy wrote:I checked on QB's that are UFA this season and you guessed it the names don't knock you off your feet. I don't see anyone who will make us all jump for joy but here are a few Don't shoot the messenger
Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Shawn Hill, Schuab, McGloin, E.J. Manuel, Gabbert, Cassel, Hoyer, Geno Smith, I have to stop it doesn't get any better. we will be better off with what we have maybe if Lynch can start. I would say half of these are a step up to Siemian. Again My opinion

left tackles are few Matt Kalil from the Vikings will be the man that all are after he will be about 8 million to get he's 27 years old Rilly Reiff from the lions is another that will cost you about that much he's 28 slim pickings.

Right tackles the pats Vollmer, Gosder Cherilus of TB and Andre Smith of MIN. these are the top 3 I saw more right tackles making more than 2 mill this season then I saw left. now could the rt be a LT ??????

Guards Ron Leary of the Cowboys stick out but He may cost Luke Joeckel hmm wasn't he a top tackle at one time? T.J.Lang GB he's 29 so he may want to be paid it could be his last contract at that age. Chance Warmack of ten. he's 25 there are others out there these are just the top 3 listed at NFL free Agents tracker

Both Kaperdink and Romo will probably be free agents before this all plays out. I say no to either one of them.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:09 am

Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 am

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gold ... 08918.html

Goldman Sachs pulls out of Las Vegas deal. That's two investors out now. The Raiders aren't going anywhere it seems.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:27 am

CSpringsNSD wrote:We actually went up, not down. 1 whole spot!

Looks like Paradis is the only worthwhile one on the line.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:43 am

OnlyInUtah wrote:

Yep. pretty much everyone else can be tossed. I guess we could keep the guys still on their rookie deals since they're cheaper.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:09 am

I'm a little surprised you don't see aging veterans flocking to teams who could win a Super Bowl for league minimum salaries. I guess for some it's all about the money but many just want to be part of a SB win and get the ring. I mean if I was getting up there and had never won, I would take a pay cut to give myself a better chance. Probably have to ditch my agent to make it possible as they wouldn't be happy with their cut but still. I could see a handful of teams such as GB, NE and Denver that would benefit from that. Romo would be worth it at that point.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:38 pm

CSpringsNSD wrote:I'm a little surprised you don't see aging veterans flocking to teams who could win a Super Bowl for league minimum salaries. I guess for some it's all about the money but many just want to be part of a SB win and get the ring. I mean if I was getting up there and had never won, I would take a pay cut to give myself a better chance. Probably have to ditch my agent to make it possible as they wouldn't be happy with their cut but still. I could see a handful of teams such as GB, NE and Denver that would benefit from that. Romo would be worth it at that point.

most vets would if they were in the league for more then 8 years and still had something in the tank. But after the rookie contract in todays game that your big deal after that you most likely will be out of the league or some kind of super star who can get paid with his drafted team. and the NE pats will be a stop that everyone wants to go play. Tom Brady is the man who draws. They know they will be around the Championship game every year. Denver doesn't have that QB to give you a chance to be there.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:43 pm

OnlyInUtah wrote:
Hoppy wrote:I checked on QB's that are UFA this season and you guessed it the names don't knock you off your feet. I don't see anyone who will make us all jump for joy but here are a few Don't shoot the messenger

Both Kaperdink and Romo will probably be free agents before this all plays out. I say no to either one of them.

we already talked about those two and we all gave our views so I didn't add them to the list for that reason. I didn't add Mark Sanchez either. But I'd take kaepernick over what we have he is a better QB and the 9'er players all respect his game and want to play with him That say a lot.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:53 pm

CSpringsNSD wrote:
OnlyInUtah wrote:

Yep. pretty much everyone else can be tossed. I guess we could keep the guys still on their rookie deals since they're cheaper.

Max Garcia wasn't too bad would have been better if the LT was better. He will be back and may start. I don't know about the right side but again when the tackles play poorly it hurts your play. I saw the tackles miss their blocks and take on a double team of the guards block. That left men open to make plays on the Backs and the QB. I did like Max
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Hoppy
MVP

Postby CSpringsNSD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:58 pm

Hoppy wrote:
most vets would if they were in the league for more then 8 years and still had something in the tank. But after the rookie contract in todays game that your big deal after that you most likely will be out of the league or some kind of super star who can get paid with his drafted team. and the NE pats will be a stop that everyone wants to go play. Tom Brady is the man who draws. They know they will be around the Championship game every year. Denver doesn't have that QB to give you a chance to be there.

Denver is almost always relevant and I would be talking more about players like QBs. If you can lure quality aging QBs year after year, like we did with Manning, I think that could work. It would be hard since there isn't a top notch QB on the market every year but if you could get 2-3 years out of them each time on significantly reduced salaries in order to keep the rest of the team up around them I think you have a chance at success. I think the problem with most teams is they go out and pay a huge chunk of change on a QB they think is going to fix them immediately (Houston) and end up failing because they can't afford quality pieces around them (Raiders with Russel, St Louis with Bradford, Detroit with Stafford, Indy with Luck, KC with Cassel, Houston with Oz and so on). I don't think this model would generally work with players that take more hits like running backs and linemen, maybe with a few exceptions like Adrian Peterson, but it should work with QBs, WRs, DBs, TEs. Basically brand yourself as a team that pays top dollar for an o-line and defense and sell yourself that way to FAs. Elway has done some of this but I think we could go further and be successful.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Hoppy wrote:
CSpringsNSD wrote:
OnlyInUtah wrote:

Max Garcia wasn't too bad would have been better if the LT was better. He will be back and may start. I don't know about the right side but again when the tackles play poorly it hurts your play. I saw the tackles miss their blocks and take on a double team of the guards block. That left men open to make plays on the Backs and the QB. I did like Max

Like I said before, I expect at least 3 new starters on the line next season
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:10 pm

something to keep an eye on. If the Chiefs tag Berry that leaves Poe and we could use a man like Poe. he would look good in orange and it will hurt the Chiefs.
https://t.co/KGk5qArhPE
Hoppy
MVP

Postby CSpringsNSD » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Hoppy wrote:something to keep an eye on. If the Chiefs tag Berry that leaves Poe and we could use a man like Poe. he would look good in orange and it will hurt the Chiefs.
https://t.co/KGk5qArhPE

I'd take both if we could lol. Both are great players. Poe would fill a bigger need though.
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:48 pm

I'd like to pick up Either one.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby CSpringsNSD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Ellis on why Joseph was chosen over Shanahan

http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Joe-Ellis ... n-51081146
CSpringsNSD
All Pro

Postby Hoppy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:24 pm

OnlyInUtah wrote:I'd like to pick up Either one.

Poe is the man I'd love to have fits a need. Berry is a vet that wants a long term deal and wants to be paid if he can't get a long term deal. most of all we don't need a safety. Yes he's a good player but to pay out that much for a non need is what will have you cap bitten. Poe won't cost as much. I think they tag Poe and see if Berry gets offered anything long term. To me that would be the smart move.
Hoppy
MVP

Postby Hoppy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:34 pm

D ware says he wants to play and the Broncos are his team to play for. But He needs to take a big Big pay cut IMO
https://twitter.com/Broncos_Newz/status ... 3388191744
Hoppy
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to The Blog Rooms 2015 (jump on in)