kicks korner

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: kicks korner

Postby kicks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 pm

And probably my favorite...

Calvin 10.jpg
Calvin 10.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 20051 times
A day without football is a sad lonely day!
kicks
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:26 pm

I can remember the day that the strip didn't show up in the comics. I called the newspaper and was told that Bill Watterson had retired. I knew that he was unhappy about the space allowed for comics, especially in the Sunday papers. It was a black day.

calvin.gif
calvin.gif (136.16 KiB) Viewed 20049 times
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 am

A chamber orchestra will play Vivaldi during luncheon in the petite dinning room.

grand-dining-room.jpg
grand-dining-room.jpg (65.06 KiB) Viewed 20049 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:15 pm

Hmm. I guess that not everybody likes Vivaldi. Albinoni, maybe?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:05 am

If you can start the day without caffeine,
If you can get going without pep pills,
If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,
If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,
If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,
If you can take criticism and blame without resentment
If you can ignore a friend's limited education and never correct him,
If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can relax without liquor,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

..Then You Are Probably The Family Dog!
kicks
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 am

Another possibility is that you're old. All of those things get easier as you grow older. Well, it does for most people. I had an irascible old uncle who just got worse and worse. He'd give you the shirt of his back, but being around him was intolerable.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Emeritus wrote:Hmm. I guess that not everybody likes Vivaldi. Albinoni, maybe?

I like Vivaldi. To be honest I am not familiar with Albinoni. I am certain that either would have been spectacular while dining.
kicks
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:35 pm

I always feel that I should dress formally to come over to your place, kicksy.
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:40 pm

cklaurence wrote:I always feel that I should dress formally to come over to your place, kicksy.

Kicks runs a high-class establishment. I like going to dress up places. One of my pet peeves is men sitting at the dinner table with their hats or caps on. At the nice places they are asked to remove their hats or leave.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm

I don't know, Em. When I was younger, I loved getting formal, but not anymore. What's the use? I think it' for the young. All the fru-fru and joy of being beautiful--feeling beautiful.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 pm

cklaurence wrote:I don't know, Em. When I was younger, I loved getting formal, but not anymore. What's the use? I think it' for the young. All the fru-fru and joy of being beautiful--feeling beautiful.

I am sure you would look lovely at any age CK.

As for dressing up I agree with EM. It shows an utter lack of taste and respect to leave your hat on while dining (especially in fancy restaurants). I overheard a trucker at a roadstop cafe once make a comment after he removed his hat that his momma raised him to remove it no matter where he ate.

I put on my suit pants with dress shirt and tie every day for work. Do I have to? No.
kicks
All Pro

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:59 pm

cklaurence wrote:I always feel that I should dress formally to come over to your place, kicksy.

With that said, you don't need to dress formal unless its a special event at the korner. Concerts perhaps.
kicks
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:14 pm

LOL, I had the same sort of mother as the trucker and a father who was a stickler for manners. It was all reinforced when I went - however reluctantly - into the army. You had to wear a hat outdoors and remove it as you crossed the threshold. If you didn't, a NCO would knock it off, by slapping you up side the head. It was a very effective method of instruction.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:37 pm

kicks wrote:
cklaurence wrote:I don't know, Em. When I was younger, I loved getting formal, but not anymore. What's the use? I think it' for the young. All the fru-fru and joy of being beautiful--feeling beautiful.

As for dressing up I agree with EM. It shows an utter lack of taste and respect to leave your hat on while dining (especially in fancy restaurants). I overheard a trucker at a roadstop cafe once make a comment after he removed his hat that his momma raised him to remove it no matter where he ate.

I put on my suit pants with dress shirt and tie every day for work. Do I have to? No.

Are you still giving shots in hineys, kicks? I used to get such a giggle when you excused yourself from here to give the shots...

I think it is so much better when a professional wears suit pants and tie, and women dress in an outfit that covers their boobs, bellybuttons and butts.I don't even like it when dentists/doctors/personnel wear scrubs.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:42 pm

My work uniform was always a suit. When it was hot summertime I would always ask the coeds' permission before removing my coat. I was raised old school. My parents were WASP caricatures. Hell, they were Victorians.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:59 pm

cklaurence wrote:
kicks wrote:

Are you still giving shots in hineys, kicks? I used to get such a giggle when you excused yourself from here to give the shots...

I think it is so much better when a professional wears suit pants and tie, and women dress in an outfit that covers their boobs, bellybuttons and butts.I don't even like it when dentists/doctors/personnel wear scrubs.

No more shots in the hiney's. Those days are long past. Thank God too because some of those really large butts were kind of scary. It was like looking directly at the Sun. Permanent damage to the retinas. Nope I don't have much to do with patient care any more. I am tucked away in a nice sized office managing the place. I will admit that I do miss chating with some of the patients but I am strictly administrative now. I am managing one clinic in Scottsdale and the doc wants to open up a clinic in Bermuda so I suppose that will be a very long commute but will certainly have some perks.
kicks
All Pro

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Emeritus wrote:LOL, I had the same sort of mother as the trucker and a father who was a stickler for manners. It was all reinforced when I went - however reluctantly - into the army. You had to wear a hat outdoors and remove it as you crossed the threshold. If you didn't, a NCO would knock it off, by slapping you up side the head. It was a very effective method of instruction.

I can imagine. Must be where that saying "Do I have to slap some sense into you" comes from.
kicks
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:04 pm

LOL, the beauty of it was that it was instructive not only to the person who had their hat knocked off, but to everybody who saw it. Of course, they were experts.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Nicest Canadian couple in world dole out lottery winnings
By Liz Goodwin Thu Nov 4, 1:27 pm ET

A retired Canadian couple who won $11.3 million in the lottery in July have already given it (almost) all away.

"What you've never had, you never miss," 78-year-old Violet Large explained to a local reporter.

She was undergoing chemotherapy treatment for cancer when the couple realized they'd won the jackpot in July.

"That money that we won was nothing," her tearful husband, Allen, told Patricia Brooks Arenburg of the Nova Scotia Chronicle Herald. "We have each other."

The money was a "headache," they told the paper--mainly, it brought anxiety over the prospect that "crooked people" might take advantage of them. Several people called them out of the blue to ask for money when the news first broke that they'd won the jackpot. So they began an $11 million donation spree to get rid of it and help others, the Chronicle Herald reports:
Allen and Violet Large.jpg
Allen and Violet Large.jpg (12.8 KiB) Viewed 20124 times

This was from an article today. Is it just me or does Violet look more like a Vince?
kicks
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Just looks really old to me. She does look better than the managing partner of the Raiders, though.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Emeritus wrote:Just looks really old to me. She does look better than the managing partner of the Raiders, though.

Lol. Gotta love Al, huh?
kicks
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:07 pm

kicks wrote:
This was from an article today. Is it just me or does Violet look more like a Vince?

she could be sporting 44's behind that big ol check...(i will not say anything about the dateline...i will not say anything about the dateline...i will not say anything about the dateline...)

nice folks...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:29 pm

Hell, at their age what else could they do with the money? If they had thrown a party to celebrate winning, I doubt that either one of them would have survived. I wish that I had had money when I was young.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 pm

WOW kicks! A clinic in Bermuda--you've come a long way from the prison system. I give that a big WOOO HOOOO!!! :D
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:24 pm

I always fantasized teaching at the Sorbonne, but there was never a way that both of us could swing it at the same time. I probably would have missed football anyway.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:50 am

We could put the Sorbonne building itself in one room of Kicks Korner, but the University of Paris is actually scattered all over the city.

sorbonne.jpg
sorbonne.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 20049 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Kicks, I appreciate your putting me up for the night, but my tastes are a little simpler than this.

bedroom.jpg
bedroom.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 20053 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby tenn10 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:38 pm

I hope kicks don't mind that I took the liberty of installing a tire swing out back.....you know....for the lil ones :D
Attachments
tire20swing.jpg
tire20swing.jpg (199.43 KiB) Viewed 20045 times
TOUCHDOWN.......COLTS!!!
tenn10
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Cool! Let's see if we can find a limb that sticks out over the water that we can tie a rope to.

rope_swing.jpg
rope_swing.jpg (22.03 KiB) Viewed 20039 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
gotcha...
Last edited by dredwak on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
dredwak
All Pro

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)