THE TEAL ZONE

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: THE TEAL ZONE

Postby TryThinking » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:48 pm

SteveTheCat wrote:WTG Phinland!!! I knew you could do it! YAY!

Thanx STC, was a nice win and I pickedem too :mrgreen:
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby SteveTheCat » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:51 pm

TryThinking wrote:
SteveTheCat wrote:WTG Phinland!!! I knew you could do it! YAY!

Thanx STC, was a nice win and I pickedem too :mrgreen:

Me too! The Pack are falling apart and you all are just getting started
I am right 97% of the time, who cares about the other 4%
SteveTheCat
Rookie

Postby TryThinking » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:13 pm

A beautiful day in the neighborhood!
Attachments
Oh no you dont.jpg
Oh no you don't!!
Oh no you dont.jpg (128.7 KiB) Viewed 13874 times
game winner.jpg
Game Winner!
game winner.jpg (87.05 KiB) Viewed 13874 times
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:15 pm

<3 and just for CK <3
Attachments
go ricky.jpg
go ricky.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 13876 times
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Seems this season is shaping up to be a "free for all." No team is outright dominating (*Cough/choke* Yeah, I'm aware of the Steelers record). It's kinda refreshing in a way.
Drunk on Carroll Kool-Aid. *Hiccup* Whoooo wants some? Drrrrinkeeee
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:38 pm

That's the way that it looks to me, LadyHawk. Jimmy Johnson was saying last evening that a couple of key injuries could drop any of the top teams to the bottom. There just isn't that much margin between them.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:44 pm

GOOD AFTERNOON, SWITZERLAND!

Many thanks to all for your kind words--and a big hug and kiss to Try for that magnificent photo of Ricky Williams. I have so much respect for that man as a player--he just gives and gives and gives and gives!

Don't everyone smack me, but I am surely glad that we did not have to face a healthy Packer squad! We had to fight really, really hard to beat them when more of them were broken and/or not playing all together, than were healthy. The Fins went through something like that just a couple of years back, and it's a team killer.

A big shout out to all of you who celebrated wins yesterday. The scores (for the most part) are so close and too many things are being determined by penalties (or should I say BOGUS penalties) than should... I want to go back to the olden days, when you could push, pull, smack, kick, knee, and generally stomp the crap out of the other team (or get stomped in the process, lol). How many games yesterday either went into OT or were close to it??? Aw, I'm just sayin... :twisted:
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Just for you CK...

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Look who met with Seahawks HC Pete Carroll in Seattle this morning...
Attachments
Pete and Bill Clinton 10-18-10 Seattle.jpg
Pete and Bill Clinton 10-18-10 Seattle.jpg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 13877 times
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Bubba! Any friend of his is a friend of mine.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Reecey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Great game yall! Can't wait to watch the game in it's entirety!
Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about Playoffs! I'm just trying to win a game! Playoffs?
Reecey
Starter

Postby TryThinking » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:22 pm

cklaurence wrote:GOOD AFTERNOON, SWITZERLAND!

Many thanks to all for your kind words--and a big hug and kiss to Try for that magnificent photo of Ricky Williams. I have so much respect for that man as a player--he just gives and gives and gives and gives!
I want to go back to the olden days, when you could push, pull, smack, kick, knee, and generally stomp the crap out of the other team (or get stomped in the process, lol). How many games yesterday either went into OT or were close to it??? Aw, I'm just sayin... :twisted:

You're welcome for the Ricky pic, I knew it would bring a smile to your face. :D

The issue of going back to the way it WAS rules wise is that the players are BIGGER ~ FASTER ~ STRONGER than they used to be for the most part and they are laying out some vicious hits that could be life changing. That still has to be addressed in my opinion, I saw the worst hit of the season yesterday in the Charger game when Jackson got unleashed on! It was ugly and he didn't move for quite some time. Fortunately he was able to get up and be assisted off the field, but hits like that have to be looked at with more than just a $10,000 fine that means relatively nothing to these D-backs monetarily these days. That's my opinion anyways....
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm

The issue of going back to the way it WAS rules wise is that the players are BIGGER ~ FASTER ~ STRONGER than they used to be for the most part and they are laying out some vicious hits that could be life changing. That still has to be addressed in my opinion, I saw the worst hit of the season yesterday in the Charger game when Jackson got unleashed on! It was ugly and he didn't move for quite some time. Fortunately he was able to get up and be assisted off the field, but hits like that have to be looked at with more than just a $10,000 fine that means relatively nothing to these D-backs monetarily these days. That's my opinion anyways....****************************

I have to agree here. Yes, these guys make millions of dollars. But that is NOTHING compared to the pain and suffering they endure in their later years. These guys' life expectancies are not the same as the general public. I've seen a few "updates" on retired NFL players - so many of them suffer in silence in their later years. It kinda made me feel bad, in a way.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Reecey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:34 pm

TryThinking wrote:

I want to go back to the olden days, when you could push, pull, smack, kick, knee, and generally stomp the crap out of the other team (or get stomped in the process, lol). How many games yesterday either went into OT or were close to it??? Aw, I'm just sayin... :twisted:

You're welcome for the Ricky pic, I knew it would bring a smile to your face. :D

The issue of going back to the way it WAS rules wise is that the players are BIGGER ~ FASTER ~ STRONGER than they used to be for the most part and they are laying out some vicious hits that could be life changing. That still has to be addressed in my opinion, I saw the worst hit of the season yesterday in the Charger game when Jackson got unleashed on! It was ugly and he didn't move for quite some time. Fortunately he was able to get up and be assisted off the field, but hits like that have to be looked at with more than just a $10,000 fine that means relatively nothing to these D-backs monetarily these days. That's my opinion anyways....

I think in order to get these player's attention that suspensions have to be implemented. Two games seems ok, but I think starting them at 3 games per player will really make them second guess such Head to Head collisions. It's just not cool, but it will definitely curb these types of collisions.
Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about Playoffs! I'm just trying to win a game! Playoffs?
Reecey
Starter

Postby TryThinking » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm

Reecey wrote:
TryThinking wrote:

I think in order to get these player's attention that suspensions have to be implemented. Two games seems ok, but I think starting them at 3 games per player will really make them second guess such Head to Head collisions. It's just not cool, but it will definitely curb these types of collisions.

Yep and they are going to have to readdress the hitting zone I think too, make it lower so that they don't accidentally have a head to head. I don't want to see it turn into flag football, however I don't want to see them all end up in wheelchairs blowing tubes to move them either...
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:42 pm

TryThinking wrote:

[color=#008080]Well, Try, I completely agree with you here. When it comes to those big, nasty hits--there's not a rule written that can stop a vicious player, but perhaps a half-million or more would make him thing twice before throwing one of those life-changing blows.

I hate to say it, because it kind of puts blight on the many, many fine players in the League; but there are some really bad guys playing ball today. They came up in really tough neighborhoods, and often the biggest, toughest, meanest guys are the ones who do the best and survive. Suddenly, one day they wake up and because they play the game well, find a Lexus in their driveway and agents falling all over themselves to rep them--giving them stacks of money to "hold them over" till their first paycheck. I know it to be true because I was around it for years and have seen it up close and personal...

(No, I cannot and would not 'testify' in a court of law regarding anything I saw because my memory sucks and gets worse every day due to my Arachnoiditis--just in case someone who should not be in Switzerland is *hoovering. Goes to CYA, which I always like to do. ;-) Anyway, I was just sayin'...)/color]
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:57 pm

LadyHawk wrote:The issue of going back to the way it WAS rules wise is that the players are BIGGER ~ FASTER ~ STRONGER than they used to be for the most part and they are laying out some vicious hits that could be life changing. That still has to be addressed in my opinion, I saw the worst hit of the season yesterday in the Charger game when Jackson got unleashed on! It was ugly and he didn't move for quite some time. Fortunately he was able to get up and be assisted off the field, but hits like that have to be looked at with more than just a $10,000 fine that means relatively nothing to these D-backs monetarily these days. That's my opinion anyways....****************************

I have to agree here. Yes, these guys make millions of dollars. But that is NOTHING compared to the pain and suffering they endure in their later years. These guys' life expectancies are not the same as the general public. I've seen a few "updates" on retired NFL players - so many of them suffer in silence in their later years. It kinda made me feel bad, in a way.

Lady: Your post is EXACTLY the way I feel about it. I have often argued that they should be getting paid huge salaries because they throw away their bodies for their career. Ever seen the 'short' on Jim Otto? In his 50s he was like a 90-year-old in bad health! Danny Marino couldn't play ball with his kids because he was in so much pain during the week! I know guys who suffer from college football and they say that if a man plays ONE game in the NFL, his body is never the same. People take a lot of shots at Favre because of his indecision about retirement, but he's a guy that loves the game so much, he can't find a way to retire and get out once and for all. At this point, he's going to be a cripple regardless, so WTF?

The issue here, however, is the dirty players who make those horrendous hits that lay guys out and in some cases, ruin their lives. Anyone here remember Darryl Stengly of the Patriots??? Or have you watched the tape of Joe Theisman (although, I must say, when he gets to babbling sometimes, I'd like to throw, er, um--never mind--let me stick to the case at hand here :oops: ) in his LAST game ever? In cases of dirty hits, how DO you punish a player enough to make him stop? If a hit is awful enough, as in the case of Stengly, I wouldn't mind tossing the player that throws the hits out of the game forever. I know that's not right likely, but big suspensions and even bigger pay cuts are the only answer, IMHO...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:01 pm

cklaurence wrote:
TryThinking wrote:

Well, Try, I completely agree with you here. When it comes to those big, nasty hits--there's not a rule written that can stop a vicious player, but perhaps a half-million or more would make him think twice before throwing one of those life-changing blows.

I hate to say it, because it kind of puts blight on the many, many fine players in the League; but there are some really bad guys playing ball today. They came up in really tough neighborhoods, and often the biggest, toughest, meanest guys are the ones who do the best and survive. Suddenly, one day they wake up and because they play the game well, find a Lexus in their driveway and agents falling all over themselves to rep them--giving them stacks of money to "hold them over" till their first paycheck. I know it to be true because I was around it for years and have seen it up close and personal...

(No, I cannot and would not 'testify' in a court of law regarding anything I saw because my memory sucks and gets worse every day due to my Arachnoiditis--just in case someone who should not be in Switzerland is *hoovering. Goes to CYA, which I always like to do. ;-) Anyway, I was just sayin'...)/color]

[color=#008080]Boy oh boy, Try (if you're still around?)--did I ever blow the font-coloring on that one, lol! :lol:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:02 pm

Who was the sweetheart lineman that pulled the helmet off a player on the ground and stomped on his head? I remember that it took a lot of stitches to close the gashes in the man's face. That's not a matter of being being bigger, stronger and faster, but of being a vicious animal. He should have been thrown out of football.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:04 pm

It's so weird. There are days that go by where I don't have the least problem with doing a color or some other things to jazz up my posts, then there are days like today where I screw up every post I make. Go figure... :cry:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Emeritus wrote:Who was the sweetheart lineman that pulled the helmet off a player on the ground and stomped on his head? I remember that it took a lot of stitches to close the gashes in the man's face. That's not a matter of being being bigger, stronger and faster, but of being a vicious animal. He should have been thrown out of football.

No argument from me here, Em. In fact, I think I just posted it the same time as you did. Great minds always think alike. ;)
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:05 pm

I Googled football head stomping and that sweet man was Albert Haynesworth. He was suspended for five games. Maybe that's why Dan Snyder signed him to a $100 million-dollar contract.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:11 pm

cklaurence wrote:
TryThinking wrote:

Well, Try, I completely agree with you here. When it comes to those big, nasty hits--there's not a rule written that can stop a vicious player, but perhaps a half-million or more would make him thing twice before throwing one of those life-changing blows.

(No, I cannot and would not 'testify' in a court of law regarding anything I saw because my memory sucks and gets worse every day due to my Arachnoiditis--just in case someone who should not be in Switzerland is *hoovering. Goes to CYA, which I always like to do. ;-) Anyway, I was just sayin'...)

I can relate, years ago a very high profile "unnamed" High School basketball player came into our shop that we had at the time. (aftermarket customizing of vehicles) An "unnamed" individual that was buying and customizing the vehicle and "loaning" it to him did a deal with us. It was big bucks and a satisfied customer, other than that I know nothing. :?
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby 16Forever » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:18 pm

That should make CK happy!
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:20 pm

LadyHawk wrote:That should make CK happy!

LH and the Tuna gets to swim away with the balance of his 12 million $ contract. Must be nice!
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm

16Forever wrote:

LH and the Tuna gets to swim away with the balance of his 12 million $ contract. Must be nice!

I'm ready for Cowher next year....
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:34 pm

TryThinking wrote:
16Forever wrote:

I'm ready for Cowher next year....

Umm...y'all need to step up your efforts. I'm watchin' ESPN daily and not seeing ANYTHING about a "We Want Cowher" viral attack on Facebook or any other social networking site. C'mon man. What are you doing? Working?! Where are your priorities?!

:lol:
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:20 pm

LadyHawk wrote:
TryThinking wrote:I'm ready for Cowher next year....

Umm...y'all need to step up your efforts. I'm watchin' ESPN daily and not seeing ANYTHING about a "We Want Cowher" viral attack on Facebook or any other social networking site. C'mon man. What are you doing? Working?! Where are your priorities?!

:lol:

Thanx for the pep-talk, um yeah that work thing... still happening ;)
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:24 am

What? Not a single peep from CK about Bill Parcells departure from the Dolphins?
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Parcells leaving the Dolphins is old news. Remember?

It was announced during the week before the first game of the season. I said plenty back then about the timing of the announcement, what it must have done to the team's spirit, how it affects Sparano, who was his boy and is now a lame duck, which everyone knows. I also ran into my standard rant about first Jimmy Johnson and now Parcells with their 3 year promises of winning Super Bowls, when in fact, neither of them even got us past the first play-off game--when and if we were even good enough to get that far... Hopefully Sparano won't turn into another Wannstadt and stay for four years, while each year the # of wins drops until--well, everyone knows "until" what. I believe we went 1 and 15 before we regained consciousness.

So, like, what am I going to say about it that I haven't already said...
cklaurence
Godmother

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)