BLUE ZONE hangout

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: BLUE ZONE hangout

Postby BUCK_WILD » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:05 am

Baglady wrote:
BUCK_WILD wrote:GO COLTS!!!!

Buck, you know that works for me!

No disrespect for David Carr - he just represents a tough few yrs for the Texans. If only he'd had some protection.... and never was sure those gloves were a good idea...

Yes their O line wasn't very good at all. Never enough time against the pass rush. And just what was up with them gloves any way? Was he going Michael Jackson LOL
BUCK_WILD
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:27 am

In my opinion, the David Carr story is a textbook example of how NOT to build a team. Carr was a big talent coming out of college and the Texans first ever draft choice. As you pointed out, he had no protection at all and set a NFL record for most sacked quarterback. I don't think that any other rookie would have done better. I'm convinced that the way to build or rebuild a team is by putting all of your draft choices and money into offensive and defensive linemen. Once you are solid there, then you can go after a franchise quarterback. They are too expensive to waste as David Carr was wasted. I shook my head when the Lions spent their league-first draft choice on a quarterback. For years they have been spending their money on wide receivers who never got a pass thrown to them because their quarterback was on the ground. David Carr is never going to be another Peyton Manning, but he can be useful behind a decent offensive line.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby BUCK_WILD » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:21 pm

I agree EM. When Peyton was acquired by the Colts even he struggled until the O-line was solid and he learned to read the defense. Peyton is very smart and a quick learner. We are spoiled and think the Colts should win every game or at least I am. When we loose I over analyze the game in my head and finally have to surrender to the idea we got beat becuase we were the inferiour team. Hate to think about what it will be like when we don't have peyton under center any longer. Hope we still have enough of what he has brought to our team to carry over and get us to the playoffs for years to come.
Oh yeah and.....GO COLTS!!!!
BUCK_WILD
Rookie

Postby BUCK_WILD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:26 am

Yessssss training camp starts this weekend. The road to the Superbowl begins.
BUCK_WILD
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm

They sure haven't made it any easier for the AFC South this year. I was looking at the Texans schedule and it is murder! It's bad enough that we have to play the NFC East, but the other games are no better. Our preseason begins with the Cardinals, the Saints and the Cowboys. We will play the Cowboys twice this year, once when it counts.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:18 am

BUCK_WILD wrote:Yessssss training camp starts this weekend. The road to the Superbowl begins.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D etc...

Burning question is whether Reggie Wayne is there and if so, what kind of entrance he'll make??? Loved his 'construction' gear and equipment last season 8-)

Just my opinion - I'm not sure any team's schedule makes for a successful or unsuccessful season. And, not a prediction at all but last time the Colts played the NFC East had a great ending....

10933024_240X180.jpg
10933024_240X180.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 16529 times
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:51 am

I hope that you're right, Lady. All that I know is that the teams that we are playing - including the Colts - sure won a lot of games last year.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:18 am

Em, Texans had their 1st winning season last yr in spite of losing O Daniels. Not sure how much Cushing's suspension will impact the team but I've heard folks down there are pretty enthused w/ the OC Dennison hire.

Colts have new OC Christensen but he's been w/ the Colts for 9 yrs (came from Tampa w/ Dungy). It will be strange not to see Howard Mudd on the sidelines. Just hope we can all get through training camp and preseason injury free.... Colts typically have a horrible preseason record but whatever their methods, it's paid off during the regular season. This season :?: :?: :?:
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:35 am

Tom Landry said that if you won any preseason games you weren't using them right. Vince Lombardi - he and Landry were assistant coaches for the Giants at the same time - said the same thing. Coaches who are confident about their starters use the preseason to look at new players. It's teams that have a lot of positions to fill who try to win preseason games.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:38 pm

I agree with Landry there. In addition, when the preseason is used properly, the games are far more enjoyable for the fans. The players who are set in their positions are just trying to keep healthy during preseason; the rookies who are on the cusp or afraid they aren't even on the coaches' radar, play for their (professional) lives. They make the big plays (or try to) every time. They want to be seen! Some of the best games I've watched have come in the preseason, when some desperate rookie(s) DO get the attention they are seeking.
Damn, I love football! I can't believe that in two weeks we'll be watching it again. This was a really long offseason...
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:35 pm

I enthusiastically agree, ck. A lot of people don't like preseason games, but I think that is because they have the wrong expectations. I look at them as a chance to see what teams have improved themselves with off-season acquisitions. As you pointed out, they don't lack in intensity, either.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Agreed on the opportunity for some players to earn a roster spot. My biggest problem w/ preseason games is charging full price when the starters don't play much and the games don't count.

Great to see Wayne and Mathis report to camp on time and our #1 pick J Hughes signed this afternoon :D
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:31 pm

Lady, can you explain to me the logic in WhatIfSports picking the Colts to win only nine games and to lose the division to the Titans? The Titans finished third of four teams last year, so what do they base that prediction on?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 pm

I see where you're coming from, Bags, but after all, this is the NFL--and they have to get every last penny they can. If the market bears charging full price for preseason, regardless of whether the money players are in--they are going to charge it. That being the case, I vote to enjoy pre-season games for what they are. After all, it's still football, and come preseason, who cares what kind of ball is being played, so long as it's being played!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I found most of the whatif sports' choices quite delusional.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:32 pm

You here, Bagsy?
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:36 pm

CK, I'm with you on preseason games. Just have a hard time getting clients to go to them. Colts marketing came up a pretty clever pkg deal - imo, 3 game packages that included one preseason along w/ 2 reg season games. We'll see how it works out...

Whatif sports had almost the same predictions last year it seems. NE and the Steelers are ALWAYS the AFC favorites.
Em, no clue what stats they're using - supposedly all 'computer generated'. The Titans??? Think Schwartz was a huge loss - no Haynesworth, no Vanden Bosch (sp?) and no LenDale White. And who knows about Vince Young??? Colts have won 12 or more 7 yrs in a row and we're healthy. Honestly the Texans keep improving and will challenge but I just don't get the Titans pick - sure wouldn't wager any $$$$ on them...
Last edited by Baglady on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:41 pm

That's a pretty nice package deal they are offering. I don't know what (if any) deals the Phins give because I'm on the Season Ticket system where I am automatically re-upped every year. Why should they offer a deal to someone they know they are getting full price from, right?
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

CK, season ticket holders here get the opportunity to add or upgrade seats and think they just wanted to get the word out about the packages. It likely got sent to the waiting list for season tickets also. Have a feeling w/ the economy more folks didn't (couldn't) renew their season tickets but supposedly there's still a waiting list...
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:53 pm

We get the same opportunity here, Ms B. No waiting lists anywhere in sight in Miami, not now, not ever. It's just too transient a town. I've been offered and offered to change my seats, but I love them. I'm sure I've said often enough that they have given me the opportunity to move practically anywhere in the stadium, but we've been together for so long in my section, I just wouldn't feel right in any other seats...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:00 pm

CK, as long as Peyton is playing and Colts keep winning our games will sell out. Once Peyton retires - MANY yrs from now (lol), who knows....
You have a great group of 'seat mates' in Miami and I totally understand why you wouldn't move your location!

Just said G' Night on another topic - hope to catch up here later in the week....
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm

10-4 to that, Ms Bags. If I'm awake, I'll be here!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby BUCK_WILD » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:13 am

Alright, HOF game on this week to kick off the season! WHOOO HOOOO!
GO COLTS!!!!
BUCK_WILD
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 am

It can't come too soon for me.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:17 pm

Good week one of camp for the Colts so far... no injuries! Colts healthy, Sanders and Gonzo both practicing. Gonzo getting punt return reps??? Interesting...
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Marshall is looking good for the Phins, but I'm concerned. I guess I worry about everything when it comes to the team, but I'm not happy with the (lack of) depth we have; trying to keep my chin up and think positively...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Baglady » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:44 pm

HI there CK! Only thing I saw on Marshall was he sat out of Thursday's practice but was likely a "rest" issue - you might check the "Teal Zone" for Dolphins news - lol! J/K... Meet you in the Lounge in a few minutes?
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Lounge sounds good, Ms B...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 pm

cklaurence wrote: trying to keep my chin up and think positively...

Sounds like a good idea ;)
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Reecey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:03 pm

This place needs to be fumigated, and the colors are all wrong.
Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about Playoffs! I'm just trying to win a game! Playoffs?
Reecey
Starter

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)