WELCOME TO OUR NEW HOME!

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: WELCOME TO OUR NEW HOME!

Postby Keeping The Peace » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:19 am

dredwak wrote: :mrgreen: color is good...6kb avatar thingy...bad...
dred...confused...situation...normal...

WHISTLE BLOW!!!

Dred, if you go to the help forum "Peaceful Corner" by way of the "jump to" pull-down box on the bottom of most pages it will give you help on the Avatar question.

Everyone can always leave me a question by way of the Private Email function here in the forums. Just click on the envelope icon under my avatar and it will allow you to send it directly to me.

Moderator Peace
Play nice or go home....
Keeping The Peace

Postby dredwak » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:29 am

okey dokey...nice to see most of the good folk here...im breaking in a new pc...hope its half as reliable as the last one...and isnt...obsolete...next thursday...
first order of business...spellchecker...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby OnlyInUtah » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:51 am

Emeritus wrote:I wish that I had seen Peace's instructions before I started struggling with my own avatar. I don't think that it can be made much more simple. Of course at the time I didn't know where the instructions were or even that there were any. I highly recommend that newcomers follow his advice.

Cool....the "IT" dude. I'm not having issues with anything now but I'm pretty good at finding my way around most sites....lol.

Listen to Peace and EM, Dred. They know how to navigate the site. Me? I'm just a "dawg"....lmao! I've always been one.
Never pet a burning dog
OnlyInUtah
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I want to wish all of the fathers a great Dad's Day. I was blessed with a dad who made me feel wanted and special and a son that made me proud. They were a very important part of my life and I miss both of them a lot.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:54 pm

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL OF THE SWISS DADS!

I SPENT TODAY WITH MY HUSBAND AND MY DADDY. IT WAS BITTERSWEET FOR ME, AS MY DAD, AGE 93 HAS ALZHEIMERS, AND ALTHOUGH HE KNOWS US ALL SO FAR, I CAN SEE THAT HIS MEMORY IS FAILING. RIGHT NOW IT'S JUST SMALL THINGS, LIKE "DID THE MAIL COME YET?" OR "DID WE ORDER LUNCH YET?" BUT THERE IS A SADNESS ABOUT HIM--A SENSE OF LOSS, AND I FEEL SO HELPLESS. I JUST KEEP HUGGING HIM AND TELLING HIM I LOVE HIM--BECAUSE WHENEVER I TELL HIM I LOVE HIM, HE HUGS ME TIGHT AND TELLS ME HE LOVES ME TOO. TONIGHT I CALLED HIM TO SAY A HAPPY FATHER'S DAY GOOD NIGHT AND HE TOLD ME IT WAS HIS BEST FATHER'S DAY EVER. OH, DO I EVER WISH I COULD STOP TIME! WOULDN'T IT BE WONDERFUL IF WE COULD JUST TURN BACK THE CLOCK AND HAVE A CHANCE TO 'DO-OVER' THE TIME WE HAVE WITH OUR LOVED ONES?
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Sorry--I didn't mean to get so sappy on this special day--but to those of you that are young enough to have your parents--(and I know you've heard this a thousand times, as did I when I was young--remember that nothing lasts forever, and you only get one set of parents in life. Treat them with the love and respect they deserve...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:10 pm

That's so true. Everything that we have is on loan, even those that we love and who love us. Our parents grow old and pass from our lives. Our children grow up and go on to lead their own lives. There is nothing that we can hold onto except the memories. We just have to let them go with love. Sometimes I get down because everybody who was dear to me went before me. Then I think about how blessed I was to have had them. Some people never have the gift of a soul mate or children. It truly is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Last edited by Emeritus on Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:11 pm

LadyHawk: If you go into your profile, you can set your preference for "descending," and then it doesn't keep changing back.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Beautifully spoken, Em. I've always loved that passage, and it's always made me cry...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby LadyHawk » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:32 pm

cklaurence wrote:LadyHawk: If you go into your profile, you can set your preference for "descending," and then it doesn't keep changing back.

Thank you CK - Baglady fixed me up the other day. All is well. ;)
Drunk on Carroll Kool-Aid. *Hiccup* Whoooo wants some? Drrrrinkeeee
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:42 am

LadyHawk wrote:
cklaurence wrote:LadyHawk: If you go into your profile, you can set your preference for "descending," and then it doesn't keep changing back.

Thank you CK - Baglady fixed me up the other day. All is well. ;)

thank you ck...i knew that sucker was in there somewhere...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Glenda » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:28 am

Much better.
Glenda
Rookie

Postby dredwak » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:33 am

guess i'll have to do my lurking without signing in...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 am

Good morning, Swiss. The first day of summer is just like the past month, with the temperature and humidity both in the nineties. I keep proposing to spend my summers in a more temperate climate, but I'm still here. I don't know if it is from attachment to my childhood home or simply inertia, but I haven't packed my bags yet.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 am

em...
supposed to be 90 here today...humidity is up there too...if your thinking of staying in the u.s...hawaii might be nice...alaska..?
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:53 am

When I was a graduate student at Wurtzburg, some of us spent a weekend at Walchensee, a Alpine lake in Bavaria. The village in the photo, also named Walchensee, is the only settlement. From most places on the lake you can see no sign that man has ever been there. Then somebody will come by in a little sailboat. The water is too cold for swimming even in the summer, but the fishing is said to be fine.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:57 am

I didn't get my attachment to post. I'll have to figure out the problem.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 am

The file is too big. The maximum is 256 K.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:03 am

Hopefully this will fix it.
Attachments
Walchensee_Ort.jpg
Walchensee_Ort.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 15777 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 am

Happy Monday Swissies! I hope all the fathers out there had a great Father's Day!!!
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am

LOL! I guess that everybody must be hard at work this morning. I retired at the minimum age of fifty-nine and one-half and I haven't regretted it one day. I can be exactly as busy as I wish to be all of the time.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:39 am

Emeritus wrote:LOL! I guess that everybody must be hard at work this morning. I retired at the minimum age of fifty-nine and one-half and I haven't regretted it one day. I can be exactly as busy as I wish to be all of the time.

Times are different now. The concept of "retirement" seems bleak to me.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:31 pm

[size=150][color=#0040FF]Times are different now? That was in September of 2007. Retirement only seems bleak if you think of it as an ending. If you think of it as the beginning of an interesting new life, it is pretty attractive. There were things that I had always wanted to try, but never had the time to into. Since I've retired, I've done all of them that an old guy with a prosthesis where his left foot should be can do. Now my only work is cataloging papers. In my former job it was publish or die, but now I wish that I hadn't written quite so many of the things.[/size][/color]
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:42 pm

Let me rephrase that...as a single working mom, "my times" are different now. The economy is different...alot of things are different. At one time in life I thought I'd retire one day. Now I'm not so sure. Im trying like hell to prepare for it. But its tough...
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Retirement, if we enjoy the health to reach that age, is inevitable. Sensible people start making financial plans for retirement early, but surprisingly few plan how they will spend it. My own plans included my wife, of course and that part didn't happen. Otherwise, I've had a lot of fun. You'd be amazed how many wine tours there are.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 pm

If it isn't too personal a question, will your children be grown before you reach retirement age? People start families at widely different ages, so what works for some aren't practical for others.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 pm

It's a subtle difference, but I should have said practicable instead of practical.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Many people seem to think that my job is as good as retirement, but they don't realize how much work it really is! I have to pound out at least six to ten pages a day--and those pages either end up in the shredder or revised twenty times. Then it first has to go through the publisher and their editor, yada yada yada. I love what I do, but I can't always guarantee my mind can conjure up that much in a day :roll: ,

Em, I'd love to read some of your published works. How would I go about getting your books? You are a historian, right? The older I get, the more I enjoy learning about history...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:28 pm

That's flattering, ck, but I wrote papers, not books and nobody was interested in collecting them. I need to make a distinction between popular history - the sort that history buffs enjoy - and the history written for historians. Frankly, much of the latter bores me to death, and it was my life! Until you have been there, you can't imagine what excruciating detail professionals can go into about their specialty. I'm afraid that I'm as bad as any of them. I have an unbounded enthusiasm for La Belle Epoque, or the Gilded Age, and I forget that others just don't care spit about it.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:00 pm

I was under the impression that professors have to publish books. I have a few friends who find themselves under the gun constantly--textbooks and that sort of thing. You know, the "publish or perish" syndrome?
cklaurence
Godmother

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)