JUST FOOTBALL

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: JUST FOOTBALL

Postby Emeritus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:18 pm

It's easy to see why the Cowboys have loyal fans.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:05 am

Does anyone know if there are any games tonight? Better yet--any TELEVISED games? Football is in the air, but other than the first Phins' game, I haven't been able to catch any. This weekend is reserved for FOOTBALL ONLY! (Go Dolphins!)
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:41 am

It's Thursday, so the NFL Network should have a game. Of course if you provider doesn't carry the NFL Network (Time Warner Cable doesn't) you are out of luck.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:00 am

cklaurence wrote:Does anyone know if there are any games tonight? Better yet--any TELEVISED games? Football is in the air, but other than the first Phins' game, I haven't been able to catch any. This weekend is reserved for FOOTBALL ONLY! (Go Dolphins!)

Tonight's games ~
Rams @ Patriots 7:30 ET
Colts @ Packers 8:00 ET
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:20 am

Wow, that Colts and Packers game could be really interesting, as both teams have Super Bowl ambitions.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:11 pm

TryThinking wrote:
cklaurence wrote:Does anyone know if there are any games tonight? Better yet--any TELEVISED games? Football is in the air, but other than the first Phins' game, I haven't been able to catch any. This weekend is reserved for FOOTBALL ONLY! (Go Dolphins!)

Tonight's games ~
Rams @ Patriots 7:30 ET
Colts @ Packers 8:00 ET

Go Rams!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!
Drunk on Carroll Kool-Aid. *Hiccup* Whoooo wants some? Drrrrinkeeee
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:47 pm

In a cost-stripping plan, we gave up cable. I had to give up the NFL Channel and Peter had to give up the Westerns channel. I mourn during football season, though, and I'm trying to talk him into getting it back...at least for football season!
Thanks for the game update. I hope the Colt game is televised on a channel I do get...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:19 pm

With my luck I'll probably get to watch the Rams. The Colts are in our division, but that will probably be the NFL Network game.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby BabyHawk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Emeritus wrote:With my luck I'll probably get to watch the Rams. The Colts are in our division, but that will probably be the NFL Network game.

isn't that always the way things work.. LOL
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby BabyHawk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:49 pm

cklaurence wrote:In a cost-stripping plan, we gave up cable. I had to give up the NFL Channel and Peter had to give up the Westerns channel. I mourn during football season, though, and I'm trying to talk him into getting it back...at least for football season!
Thanks for the game update. I hope the Colt game is televised on a channel I do get...

my hubby was sweet enough to get me the nfl ticket... he was doing the cost savings thing too & it was still cheaper with the nfl ticket.. I am in hog heaven
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby cklaurence » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:15 pm

That's great Baby... I ran it by my hubby and he didn't even look up from his computer, lol. No NFL Ticket for me this year... :cry:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:26 am

Even though it was just preseason, I had to smile about the Rams beating the Pats... :lol:
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:03 am

even though its only preseason...the Patriots have some glaring problems on defense...and im not sure they can just count on out scoring everyone this year...we'll see...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Baglady » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:20 am

After last night's Colts game, I'm not gonna say a word about any other team's D... ugh. Only preseason, right??? And, that new ump rule needs serious adjustment before the reg season.

TT, thanks - you know why - :lol: :lol: :lol:
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:23 am

In all of my years of following football, that's the first time that I've ever seen a team flagged for illegally centering the ball. I've seen them penalized for not having enough men on the line when the ball was snapped, or for illegal motion, but not for illegally centering the ball.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:44 am

G' Morning Em. I need to check the new rule but I sure don't get "illegally" centering the ball. And the umps need helmets or change the rule - just hope it gets fixed before wk 1...

Have to give props to GB - impressive win... Hope our starters are 100% by wk 1.

ck (when you arrive), the game was on ESPN (I think nationally). Not sure you really wanted to see it. I had to turn it off after the 3rd quarter.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby BUCK_WILD » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am

Baglady wrote:G' Morning Em. I need to check the new rule but I sure don't get "illegally" centering the ball. And the umps need helmets or change the rule - just hope it gets fixed before wk 1...

Have to give props to GB - impressive win... Hope our starters are 100% by wk 1.

ck (when you arrive), the game was on ESPN (I think nationally). Not sure you really wanted to see it. I had to turn it off after the 3rd quarter.

Yes, bedtime was never so sweet after watching that debacle. Refs need helemts and signes on their backs that say window lickers LOL
BUCK_WILD
Rookie

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:07 am

Would someone please explain to me the meaning behind "Window Lickers"? I've never quite grasped the meaning of that.

And good job, Rams! LOL!!!
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 am

GOOD MORNING, SWITZERLAND!

The only game available to me was the Colts v. Packers. I was totally surprised, but it is, after all, preseason. The scores never really reflect what will happen in the regular season...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:15 am

Good question, Lady. I would like an explanation on the "window lickers" thingy as well. About the game, I am sort of an honorary Colts fan, so I was not at all happy to see them get beat so thoroughly...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:17 am

This preseason has definitely been indicative of the "its only preseason" mode. Meaning to me "its only a scrimmage and not even close to what your final roster/team will look like."
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:19 am

cklaurence wrote:Good question, Lady. I would like an explanation on the "window lickers" thingy as well. About the game, I am sort of an honorary Colts fan, so I was not at all happy to see them get beat so thoroughly...

It's never fun to watch your team lose - even in preseason. But I will say, seeing my Seahawks lose to the Packers last Saturday in the final 2 minutes wasn't that hard on me. It was a VERY good game throughout (though there were a lot of flags thrown). At one point, the ref/umps were taking soooo long to decide a penalty, I yelled out at the field "Y'all want some coffee and ice water for your conference?"
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 am

I had hoped for some improvement with the referee situation this year, but it appears that nothing has changed. Some times I think they just throw the flags, then make up a penalty afterwards! :roll:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:49 am

And there are new rules for the game this season - I don't know what all of them are, but I expect that's going to cause some mild confusion for the players and the officials.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:59 am

Just what we needed--"new rules." They couldn't get the old rules right, so I can't begin to imgine what's going to happen now. The game delays were horrendous last year, to the point I just wanted to turn some games off. Oh, and the bad calls! What a mess...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:03 am

Way back in the dawn of time when I played high school football, it was understood that it was the responsibility of the refs to stay out of the way. It was supposed to be as if they were not on the field. They need to change this before the regular season begins.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:04 pm

You're right, Em. It's just plain stupid to have the refs up the butts of the players--and expect not to get hurt. They really need to get real, and address this point...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:08 pm

I think that it is especially true for the offense, although that could be my personal perspective. Believe me it is confusing enough out there without refs adding to the problem. With the defense jumping around and linemen stunting, you have all that you can do accounting for the man that you're supposed to block. If the ref is in the way, he shouldn't have been there.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:14 pm

There's no rhyme nor reason for some of the changes the NFL made with the refs. I know I keep saying it, but after last year's disaster, what with all the bad calls, you would think they would have been addressing that. If they call these changes "addressing it," then they need to bring in some fans or other outsiders to explain how games are getting too long, and with penalty after penalty being called, it completely screws up the rhythm on the field! If I were a coach or player, I'd be yelling like a maniac about it.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:16 pm

LOL. I'm sure that they are, ck.
Emeritus
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)