JUST FOOTBALL

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: JUST FOOTBALL

Postby cklaurence » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:13 pm

It's a new world, Em. Definitely not the world in which we grew up. I've given up even trying to understand it. Big Brother is here, no doubt about that...
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:56 pm

The danger is always in giving up liberty for imagined security. The state will always make the case that it will take away our freedoms because it will make us safer. This isn't a hypothesis - it's happened time after time.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:27 pm

You're preaching to the choir, Em. I was less talking politics and more talking about the revolution in technology. Everything anyone wants to know about anyone is available--it's all online! The credit cards, credit scores and everything else can be tracked by someone who is knowledgeable about the computer. They don't need to step into our homes and apartments to steal anything they want of ours--including our identies!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Isn't that the truth! I know that I come across as secretive, but all that I want to do is to be able to live in my home in peace. I wonder if that is even possible anymore. I'm afraid that you'd have to give up the telephone and the internet and all of the things that we take for granted nowadays. Your reference to Big Brother is apt. Sometimes I can almost imagine being watched via the computer or TV screen. It sounds paranoid, but that's why I don't have a web cam. Maybe I'll have to go back to writing letters, which was something I did a lot of.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:10 pm

I would love to turn the clock back. There was a great deal of bad in my early years--segregation, repression of all kinds, "growing up," but it was a kinder, simpler time, somehow. I suppose I'm looking at it through a veil, and it was much worse than in reality, but this electronic, psychotic, unyielding time--where everyone is either bipolar or just plain fucked up, is just too scary for me! :shock:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

In the neighborhood where I grew up, the only thing that my parents worried about was me crossing the street. When I was old enough to do that by myself, their worries were over. I could wander all over, looking at the different styles of homes - it was strictly zoned residential - and amusing myself. It was perfectly safe, because everybody looked out for children. All of the homes had front porches and I was under observation most of the time. In that part of town there were alleys that bisected the blocks. The garbage pickup was in the alleys and that's where the garages were. The quarters were also on the alley. When they were off from their chores the domestics would gather on benches along the alleys to talk. I had been taught to be respectful toward my elders, so I was always welcome there, too. It was a very safe world and the mores were well agreed on. It was indeed a simpler life. If you were a little boy WASP it was, anyway.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby peddlefest » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Man,it's Thursday and I can't find anyone pokin football.
peddlefest
Rookie

Postby cklaurence » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:18 pm

My neighborhood was "on the other side of the tracks," Em, but the kids still roamed the neighborhood under the watchful eyes of the adults. We knew the limmits as to how far away we could go, and maybe pouted, but stuck carefully to the agenda.

Ped: I don't know what to say. It's unusually quiet for this time of year; however, I'm sure it should get rockin' here in the not too distant future. I'm going to be at the reunion for the weekend, but hopefully, Emeritus, TryThinking, Ms. Bags and dred will be around enough to talk some football with you.

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND. I DOUBT I WILL BE ON THE COMPUTER, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW. (I'm packing, but will try to run through here every now and then if I can...) I'LL BE IN ORLANDO UNTIL SUNDAY NIGHT. TAKE CARE!!!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby dredwak » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:05 pm

bs personal foul = patriot td
dredwak
All Pro

Postby peddlefest » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 pm

CK, say howdy to everyone for me, wish I was going.
peddlefest
Rookie

Postby dredwak » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 pm

have a great time ck...see ya...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby peddlefest » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Dred patriot game aey.
peddlefest
Rookie

Postby dredwak » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:03 am

peddle...
sorry...after the personal foul...i got upset and put my boot through the tv (not really...but i turned it off) and went to bed...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:47 am

That is wisdom. If watching something upsets you, quit watching. It seems obvious, but for some reason that I've never understood people will stay in a situation that builds resentments. People can be strange.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Baglady » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 pm

CK, hope you have a great time at your reunion.
Didn't get to watch the NE - Atlanta game. Lousy personal foul call??? Don't think I'll bother watching a rerun...
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby peddlefest » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:07 pm

dredwak wrote:peddle...
sorry...after the personal foul...i got upset and put my boot through the tv (not really...but i turned it off) and went to bed...
I went and watched some of the Patriot game and decided they sure didn't need my help. Glad we weren't playing them. So I did what you did.
peddlefest
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:22 am

With the preseason just started, most of my expectations have proved wrong. It's a good thing that I don't do this for a living!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 am

Last night the Texans demonstrated that they aren't in the same class as the top NFL teams. I hope that they do better next week against the Cowboys.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:35 am

Unfortunately, I missed the Phin game, but saw some highlights and it looked like "Henne to Marshall" was called more than once--and they looked good. I, as you know, put no faith in preseason, so I take no big joy in the 27-26 victory; however, it would be really nice if we could take the wins into the real season!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:41 am

cklaurence wrote:Unfortunately, I missed the Phin game, but saw some highlights and it looked like "Henne to Marshall" was called more than once--and they looked good. I, as you know, put no faith in preseason, so I take no big joy in the 27-26 victory; however, it would be really nice if we could take the wins into the real season!

Coming out healthy was a plus.....
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 am

Did you see the game, Try? How was it? What happened with the Patriot game--there seems to be talk about it...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby 16Forever » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 am

Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:11 pm

16Forever wrote:http://www.jerseytonamequiz.com/

I got 14 - 15, missed the Lions one. :roll:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:01 pm

If I had to pick games for a living, I'd be in the poorhouse. Actually, there haven't been poorhouses in nearly a century, so I'm not sure where I'd be.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Emeritus wrote:If I had to pick games for a living, I'd be in the poorhouse. Actually, there haven't been poorhouses in nearly a century, so I'm not sure where I'd be.

Umm Em, I think you missed the point about there is a link there that 16 posted to which you pick the player that belongs to the teams jersey? If you click on the link you will see what he was talking about.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:44 pm

I got Mario Williams' jersey. That's it.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:20 pm

I got 9 out of 15. Not bad for a female, lol.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:38 pm

There are just a lot of things that I've never paid much attention to. Perhaps that's why I'm so bad at the games. I can kill on Jeopardy, though.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 pm

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP)
Joe Paquette Jr. says he walked some 400 miles from his home in Michigan's Upper Peninsula to the Motor City because he's a die-hard fan of the Detroit Lions. Paquette arrived at team headquarters Wednesday and was greeted by coach Jim Schwartz, quarterback Matthew Stafford and other players.

The 63-year-old fan says he started his trek from Munising on Aug. 8. He says he walked as much as 32 miles a day during the two-week journey he hopes inspires the team, which has been among the NFL's worst the past few seasons.

Schwartz says Lions fans never cease to amaze him. Paquette plans to attend Detroit's preseason game Saturday night against Cleveland.

What never ceases to amaze me is that the Lions have fans at all. That calls for loyalty far beyond the usual meaning of the word.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:16 pm

dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-2.jpg
dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-2.jpg (51.97 KiB) Viewed 12176 times
dredwak
All Pro

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)