JUST FOOTBALL

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: JUST FOOTBALL

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:50 pm

dredwak wrote:National Football League

With one of the most exciting regular seasons now completed
ll

Well, I stopped reading at that point in the article. "Most exciting"?????????????? He's kidding right? :lol:
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby BabyHawk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 pm

cklaurence wrote:
BabyHawk wrote:CK... could you please root for the saints on saturday.... 16 tells me that your root is a curse for the team you are rooting for & I am hoping to take advantage of that :O) THanx in advance for your support..

[i]a desperate seahawk fan

Why, of course, BabyH... It's not a problem :roll: . Everyone is well-aware of my deep love for the <3 Saints <3 anyway, so it's just natural that I will be rooting for them on Saturday coming. :lol:

LOL.. THanks CK!!! :D
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby LadyHawk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Mike Holmgren of the Cleveland Browns fired Eric Mangini this morning.

Ya know...just in case anyone here cares.
Drunk on Carroll Kool-Aid. *Hiccup* Whoooo wants some? Drrrrinkeeee
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:02 pm

LadyHawk wrote:Mike Holmgren of the Cleveland Browns fired Eric Mangini this morning.

Ya know...just in case anyone here cares.

and so it begins...... maybe 5 - 10 more......
Hopefully the Phins are one of them!
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:27 pm

The Texans are keeping Kubiak as head coach, but fired the defensive coordinator. That sounds right to me, since they finished third in total offense, but thirtieth in total defense. I believe in fixing only what is broke.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:12 am

EMAIL FROM THE EMPEROR...........

With one of the most exciting regular seasons now completed and the playoffs about to begin, let me first thank you and all NFL fans for your incredible support. Many fans have been asking me where we stand on signing a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union. Let me update you and be clear at the outset:

I know we can and will reach an agreement.

My goal as Commissioner now is to help our teams and players find a solution that is fair to everyone and ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun. We want the next decade to be the best yet for our fans, and I’m ready to work day and night to make that happen.

We've come a long way. Compare where we are today with 10 years ago. From player accountability to player safety, more and better television coverage, upgrading the in-stadium experience, innovations like the RedZone channel, the Draft in prime time and playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, we are focused on doing what’s best for the players, teams, and fans. My priority is and always will be the game and the fans who love our game.

The NFL is great because fans care deeply about it. Economic conditions, however, have changed dramatically inside and outside the NFL since 2006 when we negotiated the last CBA. A 10 percent unemployment rate hurts us all. Fans have limited budgets and rightly want the most for their money. I get it.

Yes, NFL players deserve to be paid well. Unfortunately, economic realities are forcing everyone to make tough choices and the NFL is no different.

These are not easy negotiations, but the outcome can be positive. If both sides give a little, everyone, including fans, will get a lot and the game will improve through innovation.

Even in difficult economic times, a new CBA presents us with the opportunity to secure the future of our game. You may ask how will the NFL look under this vision?

A significant change would be to resolve fan complaints about preseason by modifying our 20-game format. Fans tell us they don’t like the quality of the preseason games, and we’re listening. An enhanced season of 18 regular season and two preseason games would not add a single game for the players collectively, but would give fans more meaningful, high-quality football.

Our emphasis on player health and safety is absolutely essential to the future of our game. We are strictly enforcing rules that protect players from unnecessarily dangerous play, especially involving hits to the head. We are changing the “play through it” culture to a “player-first” culture to ensure that if a player has a head injury, he doesn’t play again until his health is certain. We are also addressing the potential wear-and-tear on players in the way they train in-season and off-season.

It’s not just the health of players that concerns us. We must ensure the health of the league. That includes a new system that properly compensates proven veterans and retired players by shifting some of the outrageous sums paid to many unproven rookies. Earlier this year, Sports Illustrated published a list of the 50 highest-paid American athletes that included five 2009 NFL rookies. Every other athlete on the list was a proven veteran. In 2009, NFL clubs contracted $1.2 billion to 256 drafted rookies with $585 million guaranteed before they had stepped on an NFL field.

Don’t get me wrong: top draft choices will continue to be highly paid. All we’re asking for is a return to common sense in paying our rookies. Other leagues have done this and we can too.

These improvements and more will lead to better football, plain and simple. A forward looking CBA that is fair to players and clubs will lead to a great future for the NFL and our fans.

My job is to represent the game — the fans, teams, players, coaches and business partners. Protecting the integrity of the game and ensuring it thrives is a responsibility I take very seriously.

This is about more than a labor agreement. It’s about the future of the NFL. We have to improve and will be relentless in our quest. The commitment to our fans is to make the NFL experience even better in the years ahead. With a responsible CBA, we will fulfill that vision.

Happy New Year and enjoy the playoffs.

– Roger Goodell
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:00 pm

16F, when I first read Goodell's letter, what jumped out to me was:

A significant change would be to resolve fan complaints about preseason by modifying our 20-game format. Fans tell us they don’t like the quality of the preseason games, and we’re listening. An enhanced season of 18 regular season and two preseason games would not add a single game for the players collectively, but would give fans more meaningful, high-quality football.

You think they might even consider LOWERING preseason tic prices - HA!
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:04 pm

IF any of the playoff games go to OT, will be interesting to see the new scoring rules...

If a field goal is made on the first possession of overtime, the other team gains possession. If that team scores a touchdown, game over. If it kicks a field goal to tie, then the next team to score wins. The only way the game ends on the first possession is if that team scores a touchdown or if the defense forces a safety or returns a turnover for a score.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:40 pm

GOOOOOOOO JETS!!!!! :twisted:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 pm

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO SAINTS!!!!! :twisted:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:50 am

I don't know if I've seen one fumble cause such a turnaround as in the Ravens-Steelers game. It wasn't just the touchdown that the Steelers scored off it, it was the complete shift in the control of the games. Tom Landry always said that turnovers were the most important variable in the playoffs. On the other hand, I don't think that anything could have saved the Falcons yesterday. Who is going to be able to stop the Packers?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Emeritus wrote:I don't know if I've seen one fumble cause such a turnaround as in the Ravens-Steelers game. It wasn't just the touchdown that the Steelers scored off it, it was the complete shift in the control of the games. Tom Landry always said that turnovers were the most important variable in the playoffs. On the other hand, I don't think that anything could have saved the Falcons yesterday. Who is going to be able to stop the Packers?

Probably the Patriots. Blecchhh.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Jets fan dies during celebration
A Staten Island man who decided to celebrate the New York Jets’ stunning upset of the New England Patriots Sunday by going sledding on his driveway was killed after he skidded onto the road and was struck by an oncoming car, police said.

Raymond Larsen, 46, had been watching the game inside his home on Cleveland Avenue in Great Kills when he went outside about 8:50pm with a plastic disc to use as a sled.

A police source said it is believed he had been drinking while watching the game.
After Larsen landed in the middle of the road, a 2006 Hyundai SUV ran him over.
He was rushed to the Staten Island University Hospital where he died.
The driver stayed at the scene and no charges were filed.

Sad, but true story.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:24 pm

TryThinking wrote:Jets fan dies during celebration
A Staten Island man who decided to celebrate the New York Jets’ stunning upset of the New England Patriots Sunday by going sledding on his driveway was killed after he skidded onto the road and was struck by an oncoming car, police said.

Raymond Larsen, 46, had been watching the game inside his home on Cleveland Avenue in Great Kills when he went outside about 8:50pm with a plastic disc to use as a sled.

A police source said it is believed he had been drinking while watching the game.

Sad, but true story.

believed he had been drinking...
ya think..?
dredwak
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:43 pm

dredwak wrote:
TryThinking wrote:Jets fan dies during celebration

Sad, but true story.

believed he had been drinking...
ya think..?

Ironic name of the city he lived in.... :(
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby 16Forever » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:14 pm

2 MONTHS UNTIL THE LOCKOUT
3 MONTHS UNTIL THE DRAFT (maybe)
7 MONTHS UNTIL TRAINING CAMP (maybe)
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Baglady » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Think I read the deadline for a lock out is March 3??? Guess we'll know then - doesn't sound like the sides are anywhere close but there is a LOT of $$$ involved. I can't imagine the NFL NOT having a 2011 season - maybe just abbreviated / shortened.

Sounds like lots of NFL players now want Rex Ryan type coaches - geeezuz.... Personally, no thanks.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Whoa. Anyone see Al Davis at the press conference today? **Low slow whistle** Did Bruce Campbell show up with a chain saw and take care of biz? Seriously ~ Davis looks BEYOND DEATH!!
Attachments
Al Davis.jpg
Al Davis.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 20959 times
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby LadyHawk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Baglady wrote:Think I read the deadline for a lock out is March 3??? Guess we'll know then - doesn't sound like the sides are anywhere close but there is a LOT of $$$ involved. I can't imagine the NFL NOT having a 2011 season - maybe just abbreviated / shortened.

Sounds like lots of NFL players now want Rex Ryan type coaches - geeezuz.... Personally, no thanks.

Roger Goodell wants a kinder, gentler NFL.
Players want... sumpin else.

Today the Seahawks hired Tom Cable as their OL coach and Assistant Head Coach. What does THAT tell you about "direction"? Hmm...
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:53 am

Davis looks BEYOND DEATH!!
Now we know what the picture of Dorian Gray looked like. Al Davis would make dogs growl and little children run crying to their mothers.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:35 pm

PLEASE BE PATIENT REGARDING THE SPAMMER ISSUES. THESE ARE NOT LOCAL PEOPLE, BUT RATHER VERY SPECIAL SPAMMERS FROM MANY OVERSEAS COUNTRIES (AREN'T WE SPECIAL!)--AND WE ARE WORKING ON GETTING RID OF THEM PERMANENTLY. THANKS EVERYONE...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Keeping The Peace » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:55 pm

WHISTLE BLOW!!!

They have been stopped for now. (spammers) Sorry for the intrusion.

carry on...

Moderator Peace
Play nice or go home....
Keeping The Peace

Postby cklaurence » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you, Peacey.
<3 As always, you...you...You...You COMPLETE Me! <3
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby dredwak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:07 pm

go Bears...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:13 pm

well...me thinks the Bears need an adjustment...Image
dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:22 pm

i was wondering when a defense might show up...too bad its the Packers...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:31 pm

dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Image urlacher
dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Image so far...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby dredwak » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:05 pm

dredwak
All Pro

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)