Re: JUST FOOTBALL

Postby 16Forever » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

Who is Brett Favre?
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Wasn't he the guy who wrote The Luck of Roaring Camp and The Outcasts of Poker Flats? No, that was Bret Harte. I guess that he must be somebody whose fifteen minutes of fame are over.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Boooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo Booooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo - I have a yeast infection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kACbVGsWN74
16Forever
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:48 pm

That wasn't a sexist comment at all.

:lol:
Drunk on Carroll Kool-Aid. *Hiccup* Whoooo wants some? Drrrrinkeeee
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:09 pm

I can't see tonight's game but I see the score.

Dayumn.

I think 16F might get his Christmas wish and see Singletary get axed this year.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:03 am

LadyHawk wrote:I can't see tonight's game but I see the score.

Dayumn.

I think 16F might get his Christmas wish and see Singletary get axed this year.

Hi LH - He'll be axed postseason, I'm also adding the entire coaching staff, A-Smith, and the entire York family to the getting axed list too :D
16Forever
Veteran

Postby 16Forever » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:35 am

I'm glad Christmas mornings weren't like this at the 16 family home.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/648528 ... t-lou-greg
16Forever
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:54 am

WHAT. THE. HELL.?! Redskins are benching McNabb for this weekend? Sign him to a premautre huuuuuge-ass contract and now this? They're a freaking mess (as always).

:?
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:24 pm

LadyHawk wrote:WHAT. THE. HELL.?! Redskins are benching McNabb for this weekend? Sign him to a premautre huuuuuge-ass contract and now this? They're a freaking mess (as always).

:?

I really feel for NcNabb...I was just watching Adam Schecter on ESPN and he was saying that Donovan has been totally disrespected by Shanny. I agree...nothing suprises me anymore with the most disfunctional NFL franchise.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Yeah, the report I read said that there is a lot of dysfunction in the locker room - tensions and whatnot. A team will NOT WIN if they are not on the same page and working together... I just really didn't expect this from a Shanahan-led team. Sad.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 pm

LadyHawk wrote:Yeah, the report I read said that there is a lot of dysfunction in the locker room - tensions and whatnot. A team will NOT WIN if they are not on the same page and working together... I just really didn't expect this from a Shanahan-led team. Sad.

LH - I agree with your Shannahan statement but I think the root cause for all this turmoil is Snyder - he likes to try to put a puzzle together that doesn't have pieces that fit.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:39 am

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE (and may all your teams be winners)!
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:08 pm

I'm SO happy that I watched the Patriots vs Packers game, just because I got to see a 300-pound offensive lineman return a kick 71 yards. It was hilarious!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:37 am

Wow. I did NOT expect the Vikings to win tonight. **Loooow, slow whistle**
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Baglady » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:26 am

LadyHawk wrote:Wow. I did NOT expect the Vikings to win tonight. **Loooow, slow whistle**

Amen.... What a sloppy game by the Eagles. Joe Webb outplayed M Vick imo. And the Vikings D dominated. Have to wonder if Philly was looking past the Vikes yet it cost them a bye week.
Believe in BLUE
Baglady
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:02 pm

LadyHawk wrote:Wow. I did NOT expect the Vikings to win tonight. **Loooow, slow whistle**

:D
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby 16Forever » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:44 pm

Hello Swissies! So Old #4 is $50K lighter for "not cooperating with the NFL Sterger investingation".........?...........The talking heads on ESPN are saying that this is a very vague statement by the league. This smells fishy. The $50K will go to good use though as all fines go into a charity fund to both the league's and NFLPA's charity affiliations. Roger Cossack, legal analyst for ESPN said that he could still possibly face legal action from Sterger? WHAT? Why didn't she act two years ago...this whole thing makes me about as sick as watching Favre's drama the last three years...*** off my soap box now***

"Always be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors and let every new year find you a better man" ~ Benjamin Franklin..........Happy New Year everyone ~ Peace!
16Forever
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:55 pm

2 years...3 years...1 year... Who knows what the statute of limitations are on this case? I don't. And THAT can come into play as to when she decides (if she does) to sue his ass for sexual harassment (or whatever it is she wants). If she has 3 years to file her lawsuit, then she can wait until the 11th hour of the final day of the 3rd year if she wants. That's her legal right. The whole situation is ugly and both parties are STUPID for their involvement in this. I'm sick of Sterger. Sick of Favre. Sick of the media...

Have a nice day.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:09 am

LadyHawk, you have expressed my own feelings exactly. If there are any more developments in this case - or in any case involving either one of them - I hope that I don't hear about them.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:40 am

LadyHawk wrote:2 years...3 years...1 year... Who knows what the statute of limitations are on this case? I don't. And THAT can come into play as to when she decides (if she does) to sue his ass for sexual harassment (or whatever it is she wants). If she has 3 years to file her lawsuit, then she can wait until the 11th hour of the final day of the 3rd year if she wants. That's her legal right. The whole situation is ugly and both parties are STUPID for their involvement in this. I'm sick of Sterger. Sick of Favre. Sick of the media...

Have a nice day.

I'm not so sick of Favre as I am these female sexual predators that go after these powerful guys wearing a negligee and then cry "Rape!" When I worked in politics and sports I saw way too much of it. Whether it was a big, dumb jock or a brilliant politico (sorry about this guys--but it's the truth)--power is like a magnet and women are drawn to it. Marriage vows go out the window (if marriage is involved). I tell my daughters, "If you go into a hotel room (or a dog house for that matter) with one of these men or women, and start doing the wild thing, it is already too late to say no. All is fair in love and war!" Any man or woman that shows their 'privates' via phone or the Internet is going to have repercussions, so they'd best 'fess up to their spouses or significant others immediately, so at least on the home front they're spouse or significant other right quickly and be prepared for whatever follows, whenever it follows from whomsoever it follows...
Lord have mercy, how I DO go on! One last little rant: I am over the top, sick as hell, fed up and DONE with 24-hour news--regardless of WHAT it has to do with (politics, little 'heartfelt' vignettes and yes, in many cases, even sports :!: ). Sometimes I even yearn for the days of test patterns and 3 channels 8-10 hours a day :lol: . You younger folks probably have NO idea what I am rambling about here, but believe me--there was a time when privacy was respected and everyone's clothes weren't hung out to dry for all the neighbors to see :o ;) ! Ah yes. A day when a drive in the car was just that--a drive in the car, (no cell phones to disturb you with extra errands to run or anything else); news was covered in fifteen minutes--and I mean ALL the news: world, local, weather and sports :P ). Oh oh. Here I go again. I'll stop here (because I'm pretty sure you get the gist of my thoughts (or not :idea: , whichever the case may be... :shock: )

Good morning, Switzerland!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Having encountered a few Brett Favre-types since my divorce, I will say that I don't feel sorry for him AT ALL. He's an adult and he CHOSE to cheat on his marriage, whether it was physical or emotional, cheating is cheating. He was seeking sexual attention from someone OUTSIDE is marriage. He's a cad.

And there are LOTS of Jenn Stergers out there who want their 15 minutes of fame. And some of these women are women you encounter every day...supermarket, perfume department at Saks, or wherever...they want a man and don't care if he's married or not. I don't feel sorry for them either. They're shallow, insecure, selfish... and men who want to tangle with them are exactly the same way.

Neither Sterger nor Favre are innocent in all this. And they both deserve exactly what they are going to get.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:58 pm

I admit that my own experience is limited, but I've observed that cheating is seldom a one-time thing. Cheaters cheat. They may promise to change, but they cheat repeatedly. They are like alcoholics who promise their wives that they will quit. I believe that nobody makes anybody else mad - angry people just react to everything that way. My personal experience is that changing the person that you are requires an epiphany and dedicated commitment.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:17 pm

Cheating is cheating no matter who does it or how many times, once is too much.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:roll: We hear more about women/girls chasing guys for a couple of reasons:
:roll: 1) There are more high profile men in the Financial/Sports/Political power arena.
:roll: 2) Guys can't get pregnant...........
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:17 pm

Don't get me wrong--I am not making excuses for Favre's behavior, I was just commenting on how prevalent cheating is--especially with regard to sports figures, movie 'stars' and politicos. They could always say "no," but many/most of them are to weak to do that--but the women who go after it and then cry "fowl" when they get it, really frost me the most. I watched them. I saw their moves, and I also saw their behavior when they were shut down (or got their 15 minutes with the big guys and THEN got shot down). They know exactly what they are doing and know (or certainly SHOULD know!) these guys aren't going to be leaving their wives for them. Trading phone pix of the privates (oh and you can bet she sent some doozies, but they have long since been erased from his phone in the Favre case). Yes, the whole thing is stoooopid and there is plenty of blame to go around.

Well, I certainly know what I said here, but I also know (reading back) there's a good chance y'all have no idea where I was going with that. I apologize for that. :oops:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:57 pm

cklaurence wrote:Don't get me wrong--I am not making excuses for Favre's behavior, I was just commenting on how prevalent cheating is--especially with regard to sports figures, movie 'stars' and politicos. They could always say "no," but many/most of them are to weak to do that--but the women who go after it and then cry "fowl" when they get it, really frost me the most. I watched them. I saw their moves, and I also saw their behavior when they were shut down (or got their 15 minutes with the big guys and THEN got shot down). They know exactly what they are doing and know (or certainly SHOULD know!) these guys aren't going to be leaving their wives for them. Trading phone pix of the privates (oh and you can bet she sent some doozies, but they have long since been erased from his phone in the Favre case). Yes, the whole thing is stoooopid and there is plenty of blame to go around.

Well, I certainly know what I said here, but I also know (reading back) there's a good chance y'all have no idea where I was going with that. I apologize for that. :oops:

I understood you both times my dear. ;)
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:49 pm

TryThinking wrote:
cklaurence wrote:Don't get me wrong--I am not making excuses for Favre's behavior, I was just commenting on how prevalent cheating is--especially with regard to sports figures, movie 'stars' and politicos. They could always say "no," but many/most of them are to weak to do that--but the women who go after it and then cry "fowl" when they get it, really frost me the most. I watched them. I saw their moves, and I also saw their behavior when they were shut down (or got their 15 minutes with the big guys and THEN got shot down). They know exactly what they are doing and know (or certainly SHOULD know!) these guys aren't going to be leaving their wives for them. Trading phone pix of the privates (oh and you can bet she sent some doozies, but they have long since been erased from his phone in the Favre case). Yes, the whole thing is stoooopid and there is plenty of blame to go around.

I understood you both times my dear. ;)

Thanks, TT.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby dredwak » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:22 am

National Football League

With one of the most exciting regular seasons now completed and the playoffs about to begin, let me first thank you and all NFL fans for your incredible support. Many fans have been asking me where we stand on signing a new collective bargaining agreement with the players union. Let me update you and be clear at the outset:

I know we can and will reach an agreement.

My goal as Commissioner now is to help our teams and players find a solution that is fair to everyone and ensures that football becomes more popular, accessible, and fun. We want the next decade to be the best yet for our fans, and I’m ready to work day and night to make that happen.

We've come a long way. Compare where we are today with 10 years ago. From player accountability to player safety, more and better television coverage, upgrading the in-stadium experience, innovations like the RedZone channel, the Draft in prime time and playing the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl, we are focused on doing what’s best for the players, teams, and fans. My priority is and always will be the game and the fans who love our game.

The NFL is great because fans care deeply about it. Economic conditions, however, have changed dramatically inside and outside the NFL since 2006 when we negotiated the last CBA. A 10 percent unemployment rate hurts us all. Fans have limited budgets and rightly want the most for their money. I get it.

Yes, NFL players deserve to be paid well. Unfortunately, economic realities are forcing everyone to make tough choices and the NFL is no different.

These are not easy negotiations, but the outcome can be positive. If both sides give a little, everyone, including fans, will get a lot and the game will improve through innovation.

Even in difficult economic times, a new CBA presents us with the opportunity to secure the future of our game. You may ask how will the NFL look under this vision?

A significant change would be to resolve fan complaints about preseason by modifying our 20-game format. Fans tell us they don’t like the quality of the preseason games, and we’re listening. An enhanced season of 18 regular season and two preseason games would not add a single game for the players collectively, but would give fans more meaningful, high-quality football.

Our emphasis on player health and safety is absolutely essential to the future of our game. We are strictly enforcing rules that protect players from unnecessarily dangerous play, especially involving hits to the head. We are changing the “play through it” culture to a “player-first” culture to ensure that if a player has a head injury, he doesn’t play again until his health is certain. We are also addressing the potential wear-and-tear on players in the way they train in-season and off-season.

It’s not just the health of players that concerns us. We must ensure the health of the league. That includes a new system that properly compensates proven veterans and retired players by shifting some of the outrageous sums paid to many unproven rookies. Earlier this year, Sports Illustrated published a list of the 50 highest-paid American athletes that included five 2009 NFL rookies. Every other athlete on the list was a proven veteran. In 2009, NFL clubs contracted $1.2 billion to 256 drafted rookies with $585 million guaranteed before they had stepped on an NFL field.

Don’t get me wrong: top draft choices will continue to be highly paid. All we’re asking for is a return to common sense in paying our rookies. Other leagues have done this and we can too.

These improvements and more will lead to better football, plain and simple. A forward looking CBA that is fair to players and clubs will lead to a great future for the NFL and our fans.

My job is to represent the game — the fans, teams, players, coaches and business partners. Protecting the integrity of the game and ensuring it thrives is a responsibility I take very seriously.

This is about more than a labor agreement. It’s about the future of the NFL. We have to improve and will be relentless in our quest. The commitment to our fans is to make the NFL experience even better in the years ahead. With a responsible CBA, we will fulfill that vision.

Happy New Year and enjoy the playoffs.

– Roger Goodell
dredwak
All Pro

Postby BabyHawk » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:54 am

CK... could you please root for the saints on saturday.... 16 tells me that your root is a curse for the team you are rooting for & I am hoping to take advantage of that :O) THanx in advance for your support..

[i]a desperate seahawk fan
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks for the post, Dred. I agree with Roger on some points (such as the outrageous rookie compensation) and disagree with him on other. No two people are ever going to agree on everything. If both sides in the negotiations realize that they aren't going to get everything that they ask for a work stoppage can be avoided. A "win" mentality is the sure death of settlements.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:47 pm

BabyHawk wrote:CK... could you please root for the saints on saturday.... 16 tells me that your root is a curse for the team you are rooting for & I am hoping to take advantage of that :O) THanx in advance for your support..

[i]a desperate seahawk fan

Why, of course, BabyH... It's not a problem :roll: . Everyone is well-aware of my deep love for the <3 Saints <3 anyway, so it's just natural that I will be rooting for them on Saturday coming. :lol:
cklaurence
Godmother

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)