JUST FOOTBALL

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: JUST FOOTBALL

Postby kicks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:04 am

Emeritus wrote:I never followed surfing at all, although I would rank it in interest well above baseball. I simply could never develop an interest in any sport except football. I played football and basketball in school, but I lost interest in basketball because it became such a prima donna sport. During football season I follow high school football (which is THE sport in Texas), college football and pro football. My second favorite sport is spring training. During the long off season I actually get things done.

I'm with you on baseball Em. Its a very slow game. I usually watch a little bit when the playoffs start and I did until the World Series started. It was a bore. ESPN said it was the second lowest watched World Series in history because of the teams that played. ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
A day without football is a sad lonely day!
kicks
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:12 am

Kicks that depends on what part of the country you're from - GIANTS!
Switzerland's Senior Vice President of Fun and Euphoria
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 am

I've never had a problem with insomnia, but if I ever do I'll just get a recording of a baseball game to watch. It's about as interesting as waiting for water to boil, but unfortunately it lasts a lot longer.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:30 am

Not much surfing in my part of Washington...soooo...
Drunk on Carroll Kool-Aid. *Hiccup* Whoooo wants some? Drrrrinkeeee
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:51 am

JUST FOOTBALL

This is NFL.com's list of the 100 greatest football players of all time, it's currently on #11 and will conclude tonight and we can see who is #1 tomorrow.

http://top100.nfl.com/
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Considering how many great players there have been, it would take some hubris to pronounce one of them the very best.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

"hubris" = deep into your vocabulary Em ;)
16Forever
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:44 pm

No Seahawks on that list. What a shock.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:50 pm

LadyHawk wrote:No Seahawks on that list. What a shock.

Steve Largent NEEDS to be on the list.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:17 pm

16Forever wrote:
LadyHawk wrote:No Seahawks on that list. What a shock.

Steve Largent NEEDS to be on the list.

That was the name I was looking for... oh well. Such is the life of a lowly Seahawks fan. LOL :roll:
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:32 pm

16Forever wrote:JUST FOOTBALL

This is NFL.com's list of the 100 greatest football players of all time, it's currently on #11 and will conclude tonight and we can see who is #1 tomorrow.

I can't for the life of me figure how they can pick one hundred greatest. There are so many journeymen that play exceptional football on average or below average teams that will never be counted. They figure QBs (and probably receivers to some extent) by SB appearances and/or wins. That always puts Dan Marino much further down on all the lists; however, he was (arguably) probably one of the top ten players ever--he's penalized, though, because he never won a SB. He could only play one position on the team, but no one has ever seen a release like his--and some of the throws that he made look easy? Such a shame! Of course, I always point out Danny, but there are so many of them. It's like picking out the 100 most beautiful snowflakes. Impossible!
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Oh yes, LadyHawk. Largent should definitely be on that list. You are so right. As I said--it just can't be done!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:37 pm

I agree, ck. I doubt that you could even get many people to agree on the criteria by which to rank them. There are no Texans on the list, of course, but there were a few Houston Oilers. I would have rated Earl Campbell a little higher, but I can't argue with the running backs listed ahead of him. He was the most powerful runner that I ever saw.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:38 pm

[http://top100.nfl.com/[/quote]
I can't for the life of me figure how they can pick one hundred greatest. There are so many journeymen that play exceptional football on average or below average teams that will never be counted. They figure QBs (and probably receivers to some extent) by SB appearances and/or wins. That always puts Dan Marino much further down on all the lists; however, he was (arguably) probably one of the top ten players ever--he's penalized, though, because he never won a SB. He could only play one position on the team, but no one has ever seen a release like his--and some of the throws that he made look easy? Such a shame! Of course, I always point out Danny, but there are so many of them. It's like picking out the 100 most beautiful snowflakes. Impossible![/quote]

CK, you used the right word "impossible" when describing doing this. It's overly subjective and it's really very stupid in my opinion.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Agreed. I would list one hundred players that impressed me and let everybody pick their favorites. However, such lists have always been popular, I suppose because people welcome something to argue about.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:44 pm

I try to watch the NFL's list of greatest, but I get too frustrated. I don't know the criteria, but you are right--it is so SUBJECTIVE. It is just damned stupid to narrow it to 100, and then ranking 'where' each player is in that 100, well, did I already say 'stupid?' :roll:
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:53 pm

"Subjective" is always the case when it comes to rankings of any kind.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:21 pm

When I first went to Fox Sports, I noticed that the writers were always as provocative as possible. It seemed that the whole point of their articles was to stimulate discussion, or more accurately, argument. I suggested that they were paid a low base rate, plus bonuses based on how many pages of comments the articles generated. They didn't care if all of the comments were about how stupid they were, as long as there were a lot of them. I believe that these lists have the same purpose. The only point is to keep people coming back.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:39 pm

The only point is to keep people coming back.

==========================

I might read some articles from time to time. But I don't go to the team pages anymore. Done with that nonsense.
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:50 pm

LadyHawk wrote:The only point is to keep people coming back.

==========================

I might read some articles from time to time. But I don't go to the team pages anymore. Done with that nonsense.

AMEN to that! I do not venture over to that S-Hole anymore, then again myself and 56 other known victims have had their Fux drivers licenses revokes under the unspoken one's watch.

Next topic.......................Did Tom Dempey's mutated foot and special shoe give him a special advantage?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/
Last edited by 16Forever on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:38 pm

Er, Tom Dempsey. Jack Dempsey was the fighter.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Emeritus wrote:Er, Tom Dempsey. Jack Dempsey was the fighter.

HUH? It says Tom down there ;)
16Forever
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:44 pm

LOL, you're quick. It was edited only three minutes after my post.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby tenn10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Peyton Manning hasn't been mentioned yet on the "100 Greatest Football Players"......hopefully he will tonight......but if not he will still be in my book.....my opinion is just as important to me :D
TOUCHDOWN.......COLTS!!!
tenn10
Rookie

Postby 16Forever » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:57 pm

tenn10 wrote:Peyton Manning hasn't been mentioned yet on the "100 Greatest Football Players"......hopefully he will tonight......but if not he will still be in my book.....my opinion is just as important to me :D

Tenn, nor is Montana. Ditto on your comment too.
16Forever
Veteran

Postby tenn10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:09 pm

16.....Montana was the greatest QB I have ever seen. Especially when it mattered the most. He's got to be in top 5. John Unitas hasn't been mentioned either nor has Jerry Rice. I agree with everyone else.....I mean how can you pick one of those over the other?? Then there's Jim Brown......impossible to choose
TOUCHDOWN.......COLTS!!!
tenn10
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:12 pm

It's been a pleasure to watch both of them. Montana was the most pressure-proof player that I ever saw. He didn't even get frustrated by his own mistakes. He'd just grin, take the snap and throw a touchdown to Rice. His team had absolute faith in him, no matter what the score. Watching Peyton is an education in how a quarterback can exercise complete control of a game.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby tenn10 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Every time I think of a cool QB, Montana comes to mind. I remember what Harris Barton (49ers o-lineman) said about him during the game winning drive of SB 23. He said "there we were down 13-16 with like 2 minutes to go and Joe comes in the huddle and says ' Hey H is that John Candy at the other end of the field?' Harris Barton said he looked and sure enough there was John Candy eating popcorn. Then Montana lead us calmy down the field and scored the game winning TD'.......I laugh every time I see that interview. Montana was not only cool under pressure, he also made everyone of his teammates cool. 8-)
TOUCHDOWN.......COLTS!!!
tenn10
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 am

A few rare people are at their best when under pressure. I've had students who were unimpressive until testing. Being tested would get them pumped up. They would finish the tests while the other students were just looking at them and would get everything right.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby 16Forever » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 am

tenn10 wrote:16.....Montana was the greatest QB I have ever seen. Especially when it mattered the most. He's got to be in top 5. John Unitas hasn't been mentioned either nor has Jerry Rice. I agree with everyone else.....I mean how can you pick one of those over the other?? Then there's Jim Brown......impossible to choose

Well Tenn both our guys made it...Lawrence Taylor at #3? What? Really? As we've said subjection is a joke. Have a great weekend Brother!

16Forever
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)