JUST FOOTBALL

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: JUST FOOTBALL

Postby Reecey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Emeritus wrote:Politics and religion are two subjects that I will not discuss. Nobody is going to change anybody's mind and all that it does is create hostility. Personally, I like the old Greek idea of filling political offices by lottery. If your name came up you were it, whether you wanted the job or not. There were no campaigns. You served once and then you were out of the pool for life. It actually worked pretty well.

That's pretty interesting.
Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about Playoffs! I'm just trying to win a game! Playoffs?
Reecey
Starter

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:02 pm

my bro -in -law...came up with an interesting system...or told me about it anyway...you elect your local gov...they elect the state gov...the state governments elects the federal gov...id try anything to get us out of the damn fiasco the 2 party thingy has caused...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Reecey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm

dredwak wrote:well...you folks probably already know...but i just saw that favre is coming back...after that awesome performance by sage...

I know deep down every defensive player, and a few of the offensive players resent his coming back a little bit. But it is an undeniable fact that everyone in that locker room know that that team is that much better with Favre. Without him I had them slated to win between 6 and 9 games. With him, I'm thinking 10-12 now. The only thing I hate about his decision to return is how it alienates his teammates for so during camp and the OTA's, and that we have to go through this again next year.
Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about Playoffs! I'm just trying to win a game! Playoffs?
Reecey
Starter

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 pm

nothing beats mozilla for blogging...kill all the addons except for the dictionary...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:05 pm

~points to the Topic Name~
That's why I named it so that it would be a good place to expect the posts to be about....
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

dredwak wrote:nothing beats mozilla for blogging...kill all the addons except for the dictionary...

or just delete it and start over...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Actually, we did that, back before communications improved. Congress used to elect the president. It was because of the debate over that that Hamilton and Burr fought their famous duel. It was decided that it would be safer to turn the job over to electors.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Hope Ms Bags makes it here tonight. She'll be so happy to see everyone! She's been out there trying to recruit everyone (now that's a friend!)--and at last, just like she said, right along with the season, this place is starting to rock.

Has everyone met Peddlefest? He's my friend from high school. He found Switzerland after he found me on Face Book. He's a really nice guy.

Favre is coming back? Yes! I love to watch him play. I hope he does well--because after that last game, I never thought he'd make it back. He looked so beaten up and bedraggled!
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:07 pm

Reecey wrote:
dredwak wrote:well...you folks probably already know...but i just saw that favre is coming back...after that awesome performance by sage...

I know deep down every defensive player, and a few of the offensive players resent his coming back a little bit. But it is an undeniable fact that everyone in that locker room know that that team is that much better with Favre. Without him I had them slated to win between 6 and 9 games. With him, I'm thinking 10-12 now. The only thing I hate about his decision to return is how it alienates his teammates for so during camp and the OTA's, and that we have to go through this again next year.

I'll lay odds that he won't be back next year! :D
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:07 pm

TryThinking wrote:~points to the Topic Name~
That's why I named it so that it would be a good place to expect the posts to be about....

sorry tt...i was out of breath when i finally cornered reecey...couldnt make it to another page...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Reecey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:09 pm

You guys expecting another strong showing from Ricky? I'm amazed at how he has been able to stay so durable with all of the punishment that he takes. And as great as Ronnie Brown is, he gets hurt sort of on a consistant basis. Nontheless, I like you guy's offense (hell or any run heavy team) and Brandon Marshall will open up a bunch of running lanes just being out there.
Reecey
Starter

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:10 pm

football... :oops:
dredwak
All Pro

Postby TryThinking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:11 pm

dredwak wrote:
TryThinking wrote:~points to the Topic Name~

sorry tt...i was out of breath when i finally cornered reecey...couldnt make it to another page...

LOL just giving a hard time. Conversation is always good no matter what, it was just a bit hard to find the conversation topic jumping from topic to topic.
It's all good. ;)
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby cklaurence » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Reecey wrote:Fantasy note that I don't mind sharing. I think Brandon Marshall may be the best fantasy receiver in the league this year. He is the unquestioned leading receiver in that offense, and there's a pretty good drop off after him. I bet he will get targeted close to 200 times this year.

And my Mozilla has been acting up pretty bad the last couple of months. I use Google Chrome and IE at home. They act better behaved.

I use Google Chrome too. It messes me up once in awhile, but not nearly so often as Mozilla...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:13 pm

brb...gotta visit the water trough...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:13 pm

I hadn't met Peddlefest, but Welcome!
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Reecey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:14 pm

So when it's all said and done, do we reflect on Favre as one of the greatest Packers ever? Or just a great QB who won a bunch of games and holds most of the records? Seems like every year spent playing outside of GB hurts the legacy.

I wasn't a fan of how he was jettisoned from GB, but I completely understand. That type of stuff holds an entire team hostage. After a few more years of seeing and going through the drama, I'm not as mad at Thompson and McCarthy as I was when it first happened, but there is still a little hostility there from that though. And only because after you go 13-3, you don't can your starting QB. That's my only reason now. I forfeit all of my previous arguments about loyalty, and service to the team, and foregoing a legend for an unproven commodity because after time I've seen the same show on two other different teams in a three year basis (two and a half actually). And he did the same thing to both the Jets and to the Vikings as well. So, I changed my tune on that.
Reecey
Starter

Postby TryThinking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Reecey wrote:You guys expecting another strong showing from Ricky? I'm amazed at how he has been able to stay so durable with all of the punishment that he takes. And as great as Ronnie Brown is, he gets hurt sort of on a consistant basis. Nontheless, I like you guy's offense (hell or any run heavy team) and Brandon Marshall will open up a bunch of running lanes just being out there.

Yeah expecting that if not more! We quite possibly will have a real passing attack for the first time in a long time which of course will help with the running game keeping them off balance. Teams were able to really game up on us when we had no deep threat at all either in a QB or WR. Things should change this year for sure!! (keeping fingers crossed for a healthy season)
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Try, we're trying it the other way. We have a wonderful passing attack, but our runners either fall down or drop the ball.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Reecey wrote:You guys expecting another strong showing from Ricky? I'm amazed at how he has been able to stay so durable with all of the punishment that he takes. And as great as Ronnie Brown is, he gets hurt sort of on a consistant basis. Nontheless, I like you guy's offense (hell or any run heavy team) and Brandon Marshall will open up a bunch of running lanes just being out there.

I am the total Ricky fan, Reecey. He never fails to amaze me. His concentration is ALWAYS on the game and the ball. People say he's not enough "Rah Rah," but my contention is that you have certain team members that are all about cheering the team along, but Ricky is not one of them because he needs to stay within himself to perform the way he does...and he really DOES! Ronnie Brown (and Cadillac--his tandem brother from college) are both injury prone. It's just a matter of what point in the season they will be going down. Love him for what he does while he's up and running...but Ricky is the the iron horse and I absolutely adore him for it! I do think this is his last year, and my heart is broken that we didn't keep Jason Taylor so he could retire as a Dolphin...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 pm

i like to watch good football...and good football players...favre is a good player...i just ignore the bs...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby Reecey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:23 pm

TryThinking wrote:

Yeah expecting that if not more! We quite possibly will have a real passing attack for the first time in a long time which of course will help with the running game keeping them off balance. Teams were able to really game up on us when we had no deep threat at all either in a QB or WR. Things should change this year for sure!! (keeping fingers crossed for a healthy season)

We lost our 2nd round RB for the year in the first game. Lol! As long as we have undrafted gem Arian Foster out there, I feel good about our running backs. I'm sure we will be watching the waiver wire though, and will probably be keeping four running backs on the active roster. Usually I prefer to keep a 5th or 6th wr, or even an 8th or 9th offensive lineman. OLineman seem to get hurt the most right along with RBs. The usual 53 man breakdown would usually look like this.

QB: 2-3
RB:3-4
WR: 5-6 (even sometimes just 4)
TE: 2-4
T's: 3-4
G's: 3-4
C:1-2
DE: 3-4
DT: 3
OLB: 3-4
MLB: 2
CBs: 4-6
S: 3-4

But, that gets maneuvered around by making certain guys flex kind of guys and having them play multiple positions. HBacks, Swing Tackles, guys who play both Safety and Corner and all that jive.
Reecey
Starter

Postby TryThinking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:24 pm

Emeritus wrote:Try, we're trying it the other way. We have a wonderful passing attack, but our runners either fall down or drop the ball.

This year the Texans make the playoffs no doubt about it to me if they stay healthy.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby TryThinking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 pm

dredwak wrote:i like to watch good football...and good football players...favre is a good player...i just ignore the bs...

DITTO!!!!!
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:28 pm

dredwak wrote:i like to watch good football...and good football players...favre is a good player...i just ignore the bs...

That's what I call a football fan. I love to see great plays, even if the player is wearing another uniform. It's tough watching by myself, though. There's nobody to turn to and say, "Wow! Did you see that?"
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:30 pm

TryThinking wrote:
Emeritus wrote:Try, we're trying it the other way. We have a wonderful passing attack, but our runners either fall down or drop the ball.

This year the Texans make the playoffs no doubt about it to me if they stay healthy.

i want them to do well this year because i think kubiak is a good coach who may be on the fence...and besides...their in Texas...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:32 pm

Reecey wrote:So when it's all said and done, do we reflect on Favre as one of the greatest Packers ever? Or just a great QB who won a bunch of games and holds most of the records? Seems like every year spent playing outside of GB hurts the legacy.

I wasn't a fan of how he was jettisoned from GB, but I completely understand. That type of stuff holds an entire team hostage. After a few more years of seeing and going through the drama, I'm not as mad at Thompson and McCarthy as I was when it first happened, but there is still a little hostility there from that though. And only because after you go 13-3, you don't can your starting QB. That's my only reason now. I forfeit all of my previous arguments about loyalty, and service to the team, and foregoing a legend for an unproven commodity because after time I've seen the same show on two other different teams in a three year basis (two and a half actually). And he did the same thing to both the Jets and to the Vikings as well. So, I changed my tune on that.

No doubt that everyone knows my feelings about Favre either. I was pretty disgusted that because Aaron Rodgers whined that he was going to leave them if he didn't get first string that year he would leave--then McCarthy and the GM dumped Favre--regardless of his long-time leadership to the team. I'm really big on loyalty to the teams AND to the players. The JETS were an awful fit for him, but he can do some damage as the QB for Minnesota, and any damage he causes to the Vikings, they deserve! I hope he makes it through this year, and has a good one...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Reecey » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:33 pm

cklaurence wrote:

I am the total Ricky fan, Reecey. He never fails to amaze me. His concentration is ALWAYS on the game and the ball. People say he's not enough "Rah Rah," but my contention is that you have certain team members that are all about cheering the team along, but Ricky is not one of them because he needs to stay within himself to perform the way he does...and he really DOES! Ronnie Brown (and Cadillac--his tandem brother from college) are both injury prone. It's just a matter of what point in the season they will be going down. Love him for what he does while he's up and running...but Ricky is the the iron horse and I absolutely adore him for it! I do think this is his last year, and my heart is broken that we didn't keep Jason Taylor so he could retire as a Dolphin...

I thought it was a tragedy that he went to NY. I make no secret of liking the Jets, but I still like the idea of respecting tradition. Seeing him don a different color green will be hard to get used to. We get about 6-7 Jets games down here a year. Depending on what time they're airing. We get about the same number from the Pats and you guys too. The Bills have been forever banned from tv I'm guessing. Lol. Probably due to the blackouts and stuff. Same thing happens to the Jaguars.
Reecey
Starter

Postby Emeritus » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:34 pm

The Houston fans need a break. They backed the Oilers for years. Just when they became contenders, Bud Adams took them out of the state.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:35 pm

the Bengals are practicing at ud this Sunday...10 bucks a seat...10 bucks for parking...11000 tickets sold out...the line circled the stadium...
dredwak
All Pro

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)