The Texans Fan Club

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: The Texans Fan Club

Postby SuperSerial » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 pm

The did get stupid. They forgot the key to beating Manning is keeping him off the field.

It doesn't matter what team he is playing against; he will get his points. The only thing that can be done is to try to minimize his getting his points buy keeping him off the field. This is not rocket surgery.

Houston dang near came back despite a complete failure in the first half. Imagine how well they could have done in the first half if they would have dominated the time of possession battle. They could have dominated it by keeping the ball on the ground, but instead, they kept on calling passing plays. Huge coaching fail.

When you know something works, you should not deviate from it unless it stops working. AF having 65 yards on only 7 or so carries and a 6 to 8 yard per carry average (I don't remember the exact numbers) is outstanding running. Outstanding. HIs getting 7 or so yards every time he touches the ball is pretty much unstoppable. With this, you can set up the pass. Indy could not stop him. But the Houston coaches for some reason could not see this, and chose to pass on the vast majority of the plays in the first half when they didn't have to.
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby SuperSerial » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 am

For your reading pleasure, and to drive my point home, I offer a few links to some blog reports on the game, as well as some key quotes. Of course, none of these guys are experts like the coaches are; they are just average Joes who want the Texans to win (like me):

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans- ... ay-calling

The Texans had huge success running the ball against the Colts a month ago but last night they inexplicably came out by passing the ball on the first four plays of the game. The trend continued throughout the game and contributed directly to the hole they dug for themselves..

http://www.texansbullblog.com/quick-tho ... xans-news/

The Texans were looking dominant on the ground again, too bad the coaches lost the game by refusing to use the run game. When your run game is this dominant, you can’t use the excuse “we were down by X points”. They could have killed the Colts on the ground.

http://houston.sbnation.com/2010/11/2/1 ... nner-child

You might think that it'd be hard for an inner child to find a game plan on the internet, and I don't blame you. It does require somewhat of a suspension of disbelief. Then again, so did the fact that the Texans couldn't figure out how to run the damn ball all over the Colts after that was precisely how they won the first game.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/11/2/ ... is-vizzini

Now, a clever man would run the ball, because it worked so amazingly well in Week One when our teams met, and because he would know that only a great fool would consciously depart from what's already proven to work against your defense.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans- ... prime-time

The Texans play scripting was suspect, especially considering the success that Arian Foster had in week one. In the first quarter the Texans ran 9 passes (including the first four plays of the game) and 6 runs. Their second quarter play selection was 8 pass and 3 run. I guess Gary Kubiak thought they'd expect the run so he tried to outsmart them. The only one he continually outsmarts is himself.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And.....just for fun, go back and take a look at the Gametrax comments on Fox for the game. You will see several posts from some veteran members about how Houston's failure to call run plays was hurting them. I also probably threw up a dozen or more posts myself from the first drive on about horrible play calling. Not that I have any clue what I'm talking about, lol.

I too am glad Houston has a better team this year, and I am happy we have a decent team to talk about. But they absolutely could have, and they should have beat the Colts Monday night. Saying the Colts are a better team is not an excuse for this game. Houston instead beat themselves, and this time, it wasn't all on the defense. The defense did what it had been doing all year, and to some degree, arguably did better (if you use Manning's stats as a barometer) than in several games. But the official game turd needs to go to the offensive play calling on this one, which is indeed the coaches' fault.
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:38 am

We lost. It's time to get over it and move on.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Reecey » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Amen Em. We have the Chargers now. Time to put our focus on them, and try not to let Phillip Rivers throw for 500+ yards against us. It's so funny :lol: that it's sad. :cry:
Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about Playoffs! I'm just trying to win a game! Playoffs?
Reecey
Starter

Postby Emeritus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:34 pm

I was wondering if there has ever been a team with a winning record with a pass defense as bad as ours. It is hard to imagine.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Sorry about your loss, Texans. You know I root for the Colts when I am Bags' guest, but that did not stop me from offering support to Reecey during that most unfortunate appearance by your Texans. Reeceykins? You know I love you man--but we all have to give Ms Bags her due... Great stadium, great team and really nice fans out there in Indy. I didn't even smack anyone with my cane. ;) <3
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Reecey » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks CK. Playcalling was our achilles heal in this game. And I don't know who our defense was trying to cover. Didn't look like anybody.
Playoffs? Playoffs? Don't talk to me about Playoffs! I'm just trying to win a game! Playoffs?
Reecey
Starter

Postby Emeritus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:49 pm

I've heard a lot of complaints about the play calling. Personally, I don't think that it would have mattered what plays were called. In the first game there was relentless pressure on Peyton, but it didn't show up in this game. Our pass rush has disappeared and our secondary has never existed. We can still win against second-rate teams, but that play won't get it against an elite team like the Colts.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Reecey » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm sorry. I meant our offensive play calling. As far as defense went, it was about as much as I expected. Minus the predicaments we put our team in with the turnovers and the long stints on the field because we couldn't mantain our own offensive drives. My only quarrels were with the offense. Foster's YPC were very high in the first half, but he only had about 6 or 7 carries. :( As dynamic as our passing game can be, it's that much more affective when we establish a running game first. We only ran 3 play action bootlegs the entire game. Our run opens up the play action. It also forces a saftey into the box and opens up the passing game for everyone else. It gives Andre more space, and it gives the WR on the opposite end a 1 on 1 against the corner. Hopefully, we can get back to a more balanced level of playcalling. The defense really didn't do all that bad considering the circumstances. We just have to do a better job of helping them out on offense.
Reecey
Starter

Postby Emeritus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:18 pm

That's sounds like a logical analysis. Unfortunately, post game analyses don't change the score. I've already put it behind me and started looking ahead.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SuperSerial » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:37 pm

I was gonna just let it go as you stated, but since you brought it back up, lol.......Rant on

Look at Manning's passing numbers in week one vs Monday. He was 40/57 for 433/3TDs in week one. He was 26/45/2TDs for 268 Monday night. Thats 165 yards difference and one less passing TD. Over one and a half football fields shorter in passing yards Monday night.

Tell me statistically which game Manning passed better in. Then, tell me how based on his numbers Monday vs. week one that playcalling would not have mattered. When AF has an 8 yard per run average in the first half, there is no need for a passing game at all really. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But when the coaches call 2/3 of all plays passing in the first half, playcalling does matter. Even after a lot of scrap running in the second half, AF wound up with a nearly 7 yards per run avg. for the entire game Monday. Guess what AF's yards per avg. run was in week one when Houston bitchstomped the Colts? 7. The difference? Houston ran the ball 39 times in week one. They ran it 17 times Monday night. But worst of all, they only ran it 10 times in the first half when not losing control of the game counted most.

I am good, but just shrugging your shoulders and saying "Wow, we're the Texans and they are the much more elite Colts garsh darnit, and therefore we can't sweep them" is a copout. We absolutey could have beat them again Monday. This is by far the worst loss of the season so far in my opinion. It's one that clearly could have been avoided if the coaches would have pulled their heads outta their arses and ran the ball. It's one thing to have weaknesses, but a coach's job is to try to coach around weaknesses and emphasize strengths. If we can't stop Manning, we must keep him off the field (via the run) or match him score for score or outscore him by winning the time of possession battle (via the run). I can't understand how you can't see this and have no desire whatsoever to even attempt to accept this. Take off your apologist glasses and break it down. Rant off, lol.

Time to move on.
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:11 am

Thank you for taking the evening to write all of that. Personally, I'm worried about the Chargers. Their record isn't good, but they lead the NFL in both offense and defense. When they find themselves they are going to embarrass somebody. I hope that it isn't the Texans.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SuperSerial » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:13 pm

I dunno why Em, but getting you to agree with me is like trying to take your 90 year old grandpa's driver license away from him. Don't matter if you are right, it ain't gonna happen, lol. Meanwhile, Reecey says the same thing, and it's suddenly logical analysis. Funny.

Houston has been working on their turnover drills this week, which they are in much need of improving. They are putting a new emphasis on it since they are about to face the turnover happy Chargers. I hope they can focus this week, and I hope the coaches get their act together.
Last edited by SuperSerial on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:19 pm

I have to admit that I'm afraid of the Chargers. In a way they remind me of Dallas. They have a world of talent, but need to get their act together. It would just be bad luck if they did it this week. I haven't forgotten what happened the second time that we played Dallas. It's the only game that Dallas has won.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SuperSerial » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Dallas won because Houston came back home complacent after a nice win on the road against the Skins. Not hungry, nor on edge.

NYG won because Houston came back home complacent after a nice win on the road against the Raiders. Not hungry, nor on edge.

This will be the first time Houston comes home this season after a road loss. Hopefully this loss will shake them up a bit and get them to realize it's time to start living up to their talent levels. I just hope Kubiak doesn't ruin this one. Houston can beat the Chargers, but there are two questions that need to be answered. Will they come out with the right mentality that they have had playing on the road this season, or will they just kind of show up and not be hungry for a win, and will Kubiak recover from a gigantic brain fart and coach a good game.
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:45 pm

I notice that Peter Schrager has picked the Chargers to beat the Texans by about eleven points. That settles it: the Texans will win.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Since the week after our first game with the Colts, we have dropped seven places in the power rankings. We are still higher than we ever were in any previous year.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SuperSerial » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:53 am

BRB already discussing Kubiak getting fired and who will replace him after screwing up Monday night.

With seemingly everyone on staff here at BRB making their pitch as to why Gary Kubiak should get the ax at season's end, it has already gotten the "Who should be the next Coach" debate going. Not that there aren't still the Kubes defenders, but the balance of power seems to have definitely shifted after the facepalmer on Monday Night.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/11/4/ ... ucceed-him
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby SuperSerial » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:39 am

Happy Saturday
Attachments
texans06.jpg
texans06.jpg (145.34 KiB) Viewed 17756 times
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:23 am

I suspect that the opinions of non-professionals won't affect Bob McNair's decisions. When Kubiak came to the Texans they had had only losing seasons. He has turned the club around, but the armchair quarterbacks are just going to have to be patient. It takes time to build a winning team.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SuperSerial » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 am

They were doing the same thing last year.
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:56 am

Yes they were, even though last year was the Texans first winning season ever. The fans did nothing to make the team better. Kubiak did.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Sigh, the Rice Owls are being annihilated by Tulsa. It's humiliating.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SuperSerial » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:05 am

Come on JJ, step your game up today.

Go Texans!!!!!
Attachments
jacobyjonestdpats.jpg
jacobyjonestdpats.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 17730 times
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:56 pm

[size=200]GO TEXANS![/size]

texans.gif
texans.gif (82.31 KiB) Viewed 17727 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SuperSerial » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Wow, Houston just lost another game due to poor coaching. Incredible.

Kubiak needs to be stoned in the town square.

Houston again deviated from what works and fixed something that wasn't broke in the 2nd half this time.

Not taking the FG was an outrageous enough call (you never give up points, EVER), but pales in comparison to what happened towards the end of the game.

11 pass plays in a row (except for the poorly advised QB sneak, ANOTHER horrible call) on the final two drives when Houston was in control of their own destiny. Just run the ball, control the clock, and punch one in to win.

The second to last drive for the win they came out with a hurry up passing offense with over 5 minutes left. WTF?????? Houston should have kept it on the ground and won the game on that drive. But no, 4 pass plays in a row and the bungled up QB sneak to lose the ball (and potentially the game).

Luckily, the defense holds and gives Houston another chance. On this, the final drive, they came out passing and hurrying up with over 3 minutes left. That is aboslutely retarded Kubiak. Slow it down. Keep the ball on the ground, appropriately manage the final 3 mintues, and punch one in for the win. But No, instead, HORRIBLE playcalling. And guess what happens??? Schaub throws a pick and we lose the game. THIS IS NOT ROCKET SURGERY PEOPLE

Kubiak is a horrible play caller. He clearly lost two games in a row for Houston. Way to go Coach.

UNBELIEVABLE
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby dredwak » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:40 pm

i thought the Chargers would wait another week...before they start winning...
dredwak
All Pro

Postby SuperSerial » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:58 pm

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs ... s.php#more

From an article in the Houston Press today aptly titled "Houston Texans -- Do Something, Bob McNair"

He (Kubiak) is a decent offensive coordinator disguised as a head coach. He is a linear thinker with a roster that begs for someone who thinks spatially. He admitted to not thinking two plays ahead on third and short at midfield against the Colts last Monday, a sequence that led to the Texans turning the ball over to the Colts, and the beginning of a complete abandonment of Arian Foster in the running game.

Even worse, Kubiak is a thinker whose decision-making acumen is inversely proportional to the chaos surrounding him. And lately it's getting worse. Two weeks ago against the Chiefs, he had his offense huddling down 10 with six minutes to go in the game and a Jeff Spicoli-like sense of urgency. Yesterday, Kubiak decides to run a "hurry up" down six with four minutes to go, capped off by an inexplicable, hurried Matt Schaub sneak on fourth and two that put the Texans comeback chances on life support.

In between, on Monday night in Indianapolis in the latest edition of the Most Important Game In Texans History, he apparently forgot that he had the leading rusher in the National Football League on his roster, deciding that more Matt Schaub and less Arian Foster was the recipe to beat the Colts, even though the exact opposite had made a pretty nice meal in Week One.

In three short weeks, Gary Kubiak has gone from an average guy safely driving a Toyota in the middle lane of the highway to an oblivious, swerving mess whose negligence is seriously endangering his passengers. It's one thing for coaches to make decisions that are wrong in retrospect; it's another thing for coaches to make decisions that draw a collective groan and frantic screams as he's making them.

Some coaches thrive when surrounded by the proverbial flying bullets. Lately, you get the feeling, Kubiak would barely be able to direct traffic in front of an elementary school.
SuperSerial
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:30 am

Did they say what the writer's coach record was?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Reecey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:19 pm

I have no idea why Kubiak got away from the running game in the second half Sunday. That really Peeved me off. The loss hurt, but we have to get ready for the Hags this upcoming Sunday. Too many missed plays. What's even worse is, I'm kind of getting used to our defense giving up career days to every QB that we face. That's a very bad thing, but it's not like we can pick up a free agent off of the street to make an impact for us. I'd say give Al Harris' agent a call, but I think Al hasn't healed from his injury from last season, and that's the reason he was cut. Woe is We for right now, but the fight isn't over. Still have 8 more games to go. Frank Bush....GET IT TOGETHER! Because I refuse to blame the offense for any of the games that we have played so far outside of the Giants game. :evil:
Reecey
Starter

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)