The Lounge

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: The Lounge

Postby cklaurence » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Emeritus wrote:Wow, nobody showed up all day. What a waste of food. From now on everybody will have to drink their meals.

I am so sorry, Em! We had all those leftovers that my sons brought home, that I couldn't even look at any other...
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 am

We didn't set out a spread this morning, but the bar is fully stocked.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Bartender, I'll have scotch, neat.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:27 pm

I've been reading about a case that the ACLU has brought against a school district. It seems that the district forbids body piercing and they suspended a girl for wearing a nose stud. The girls mother says that they are members of the Church of Body Modification - I'm not making this up - and that the school district is interfering with the girl's expression of her religious beliefs.

This brings up a question. Suppose a kid showed up at school naked and said that their religion insisted on nudity, since God created Adam and Eve without clothes. If the kid was sent home and the parents sued, how would the courts rule?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SteveTheCat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Wow~ What are parents thinking? Congratulations, teaching your children that rules are to be broken with the proper excuse and those kids will grow into very popular prison inmates.

I think the difference with sending a kid to school naked would be the rules that apply to indecent exposure in public places. There should be stricter rules put in place regarding kids doing any modifications to their body until a determined age of reasoning. Which should be around 21 not teenagers. Have you noticed all of the very young people covered from head to toe with tattoos? What kind of a job and/or life are they going to have in their later years? Who wants a Walmart greeter with neck tattoos? Not that all Tattoos are bad a few here and there are very acceptable. I am talking about the people that are covered from their face to their toes and say ohh its to memorialize a time or person. Sheesh can't you just get a photo album like everyone else? :) Not all people want to see your memories...
I am right 97% of the time, who cares about the other 4%
SteveTheCat
Rookie

Postby TryThinking » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:05 pm

I would say that it will boil down to the schools policy and if the parents were properly informed ahead of enrolment. A nose stud is much more acceptable these days than it use to be, times are a changing and so should the rules accordingly. People that might come here from say India would be more likely to have a stud in their nose than not. Young girls get their ears pierced as babies yet don't have to go through a trial with a high profile attorney to attend school because of it.

Attending school nude might be acceptable in a nudist colony or some third world country, but seriously....
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:07 pm

Kids need to do a little thinking before they get the tattoos. What they think looks cute on them will look a lot different when they are sixty and sagging. I've seen them on old men that would take away your appetite.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:15 pm

The school does not prohibit piercings or tattoos, just showing them. The students are required to cover their tattoos and the girl was asked to wear a transparent stud to school. The point is that the school doesn't want to get into having to decide what piercing and tattoos are acceptable, which would make them seem arbitrary. Clearly some would be okay and some not, but they would have everybody unhappy if they had to make those decisions. On those grounds, the rules seem sensible.

According to the newspaper article, the "church" has no god. The "pastor" is a bouncer at a local joint who has a spit tongue, a tattooed scalp and many piercings. The "church" has an initiation that includes being hung by hooks. The girl in question is fourteen years old and was led to the "church" by her mother.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:28 pm

If they don't already make the students cover their earrings, (which is ridiculous) they will lose this battle for a nose stud. It doesn't sound like the young lady was sporting a huge bone through her nose or something of the sort that would be considered distracting. Sounds like a bunch of Old Farts sitting around with nothing better to do than be stuck in the past. Times change and so should they.
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby SteveTheCat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Emeritus wrote:

According to the newspaper article, the "church" has no god. The "pastor" is a bouncer at a local joint who has a spit tongue, a tattooed scalp and many piercings. The "church" has an initiation that includes being hung by hooks. The girl in question is fourteen years old and was led to the "church" by her mother.

Hmmmm... Now this has me thinking we should form the non-denominational Church of the NFL and we can sue the pants off the owners and players unions/associations for desecrating our Church and not allowing us to worship the Gods of Football. Who wants to be the preacher? :lol:
SteveTheCat
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:38 pm

The point isn't how big the stud was, but that the school didn't want to be put in the position of having to decide how big was too big. Times do indeed change, but what hasn't changed is people who don't want to follow any rules at all. Employers set the same sort of guidelines and if you don't follow them you are dismissed. In this world there are some things that you have to do whether you want to or not. Don't show up for work for a few days and see what happens. What is difficult to understand is why both sides couldn't sit down and come to some sort of accommodation. Why do people insist on taking everything to court?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby SteveTheCat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:39 pm

Have a great night everyone! The kickster is home time to get dinner on cookificating :D
SteveTheCat
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:40 pm

SteveTheCat wrote:
Emeritus wrote:

Hmmmm... Now this has me thinking we should form the non-denominational Church of the NFL and we can sue the pants off the owners and players unions/associations for desecrating our Church and not allowing us to worship the Gods of Football. Who wants to be the preacher? :lol:

Sounds like a wonderful idea to me, but I know nothing about the law. The NFL would probably sue us for using their name.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:42 pm

SteveTheCat wrote:
Emeritus wrote:

As soon as they provided the legal sector the ability to create and post commercials, we went to hell in a hand-basket. Our society has become over the top litigious. The sooner they outlaw all these ambulance chasers the ability to post their BS on TV to get Aunt Martha to sue some company because she had a sinus infection 43 years later from taking a Acne medicine when she was a child, we will start to get back to some reality. :roll:
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:47 pm

TryThinking wrote:
SteveTheCat wrote:
Emeritus wrote:

As soon as they provided the legal sector the ability to create and post commercials, we went to hell in a hand-basket. Our society has become over the top litigious. The sooner they outlaw all these ambulance chasers the ability to post their BS on TV to get Aunt Martha to sue some company because she had a sinus infection 43 years later from taking a Acne medicine when she was a child, we will start to get back to some reality. :roll:

What you said! I don't understand enough of the law to understand how it is legal for lawyers to entice people to sue on "maybe" grounds. Perhaps LadyHawk could explain it so that even I would understand.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Smitty63 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Where's all the hookers???
Smitty63
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 pm

I've been looking for a hookers topic myself, Smitty. I've already been chewed out for posting pictures of cheerleaders on the wrong page.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Smitty63 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Naughty boy...so how do we find out on here where everyone might be posting? Or is it a hit and miss kinda thing?? I'd rather be on the nascar pages on fox!! (not really...)
Smitty63
Rookie

Postby Smitty63 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:59 pm

and is there a "refresh" button on the site or do I have to hit it on my toolbar?
Smitty63
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:03 pm

I just right click and hit Refresh. There is a way to tell where people are posting, but I didn't read that part of the instructions. Reading the instructions has always been a last resort for me.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Smitty, love... It takes a bit to figure it all out (although at Peace Corner you can get the skivvy pretty quickly), but once you do, it's really easy to navigate here. You don't need to hit "refresh," because all you have to do is click on "View new posts" after your post has come up (wherever you are). It will bring up the list of current topics and who has posted last. That's the easiest way to see what is current (DUH! :P )discussions. If you are interested in checking out what is going on at ALL the rooms, hit "Board Index," then go into "Blog Rooms." That will bring up all the topic rooms and let you know who posted last and when. I pretty much work with "View new posts." That keeps me current and gives me plenty to babble on about...
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:44 pm

I mostly just click on THE BLOG ROOMS, knowing that the topics most recently posted to will be on the top. That way I can see who has posted to all of them.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:04 pm

The weather has cooled most pleasantly here, so I'm going out for gumbo. Later.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:50 am

This must not be the in place. Not much action here. Of course, it isn't decorated like Clips Corner.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Here, I prefer a more modern decor. I have a fetish about cleanliness and rococo furniture is too hard to keep clean.

lounge_zurich.jpg
lounge_zurich.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 14603 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Here's a BIG TV to watch the games on!

imagesCAWDC0VY.jpg
imagesCAWDC0VY.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 14602 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby kicks » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Emeritus wrote:This must not be the in place. Not much action here. Of course, it isn't decorated like Clips Corner.

LOL its kicks korner. That's the second time you have referred to me as Clips. I might start to get a complex and I don't think I could ever be a Lions fan. :lol:
A day without football is a sad lonely day!
kicks
All Pro

Postby Emeritus » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Sorry about that, kicks. Put it down to my rapidly-worsening senility.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:26 am

Good morning, everybody! What's for breakfast?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:31 pm

Bartender, give me a double!
Emeritus
MVP

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)