The Lounge

Moderators: Game Master, Keeping The Peace

Re: The Lounge

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Good evening. I don't think anyone is around right now--I'm sorry I wasn't here today, but unfortunately, my dad was ill and I had to run up to his house (about 45 minutes away), and help my stepmom (I thought). I don't know how many of you remember, but my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease last year on the day of my daughter's wedding. He's really good, as far as that horrible disease goes; however, occasionally, he hits a rough spot. I took him to the hospital, where I was surprised when they admitted him. They seemed to think he might have some kind of a bacterial infection going on, and they wanted to treat it with IV antibiotics. I had expected them to examine him and turn him back over for me to take him home--but it's sometimes sad that things don't go as you plan.
He still knows everyone and I suppose, if you didn't know him, you might not know he was ill. Unfortunately, for those of us who know him well, he is clearly affected by it, and seems to be quite aware that he's just not "right." I brought my dear friend (former housekeeper, now Certified Nurse's Aide) with me, and she is staying the night with him. He's in that strange place of knowing he isn't at home, actually that he is in a hospital, but there's that child-like wonderment of "Why am I here?"--almost a "Did I do something wrong?" mentality. He knows Joy and loves her like I do, so he will have peace of mind to sleep. I don't want to depress you--at least that wasn't my purpose, I'm just sad to see my daddy, who was the brightest, smartest, most wonderful man, disappearing bit by bit. The thing is--he never loses his sense of humor throughout it all, and it damn near breaks my heart.
Alrighty then...with that said, congratulations to 16 for his magnificent win on last week's eyes, and good luck to everyone on this week's eyes!
It's no easy life being a Dolfan...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm

EM: My days are somewhat like roller coasters...there's never a "right" time to contact me. The best thing to do is find a time that's good for you, call me, and if it's a difficult time I'll tell you, but more than likely it will be just fine for talking. I look forward to hearing from you!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:47 am

Since I can come at any time except late at night, perhaps it might be better for those with time constraints to suggest a window. My first thought was after work, but that would cover a four-hours time span across the country. A lot of Swiss blog from work. It would be good to hear suggestions.
Time stays, we go. H. L. Mencken
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:15 pm

Em: Why is it that you can only come late at night? Did you get a girlfriend ;) ? I know you used to be able to post pretty much all the time. I hope at least by season...which is damn close to being here right now...you will be able to blog with us full time. I'm pretty sure REECEY REECEY REECEY will be back, and from what I can see, you're both still the only Texan fans!!!
The bold print, upper-case REECEY REECEY REECEY is to catch his eye should he be hoovering, so I can tell him how much I miss his cute little face...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:13 pm

I said that I could come at any time EXCEPT late at night. That's because I like to get up early - when it isn't too hot outside - to sit in the porch swing and drink coffee. It's my quiet time.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby dredwak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:01 pm

sorry to hear about your dad ck...hope everything turns out okay...positive thoughts your way...(and i'll say a little something to the man upstairs...cant hurt)
dredwak
All Pro

Postby cklaurence » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 am

[color=#008080]Thanks, dred. Unfortunately, it is what it is... Being in the hospital is confusing him terribly. He still knows us all, but when he's dragged from his very familiar home into a hospital (which he can't figure out at all!)--he gets so bewildered. I'm hoping he'll be able to go home soon, just so he can get himself re-oriented to life again. I love him so much, and I'm watching him slip away, further and further each day...

Em--sorry! I'm reading everything on the run, so I don't always get it right. I miss being able to visit, and with a little luck, I should be back and able to take my time reading everything carefully.

GOOD MORNING SWITZERLAND! Thanks to all my family here for your good thoughts and prayers. I appreciate all of you, so much. Also, I was waiting for some word on Paul's nephew. It is so heartbreaking to see someone so young, with so much promise, have his life cut short in his prime. Please, anyone who posts in the hinterlands, let him know that all of us here in Switzerland send our love.../color]
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:18 pm

What do you have to do to get a drink around here? I can't get the bartender's attention.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby LadyHawk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:04 pm

cklaurence wrote:I'm pretty sure REECEY REECEY REECEY will be back, and from what I can see, you're both still the only Texan fans!!! The bold print, upper-case REECEY REECEY REECEY is to catch his eye should he be hoovering, so I can tell him how much I miss his cute little face...

Reecey pretty much sticks with the Bleacherreport.com website for sports reports, article, etc.
Drunk on Carroll Kool-Aid. *Hiccup* Whoooo wants some? Drrrrinkeeee
LadyHawk
All Pro

Postby BabyHawk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:17 pm

LadyHawk wrote:
cklaurence wrote:I'm pretty sure REECEY REECEY REECEY will be back, and from what I can see, you're both still the only Texan fans!!! The bold print, upper-case REECEY REECEY REECEY is to catch his eye should he be hoovering, so I can tell him how much I miss his cute little face...

Reecey pretty much sticks with the Bleacherreport.com website for sports reports, article, etc.

or facebook.. LOL
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby BabyHawk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:24 pm

RENTON, Wash. (AP)—Free-agent guard Chester Pitts(notes) has agreed with the Seattle Seahawks on a $2 million, one-year contract on the eve of training camp.

Reece if you do come around will the texans miss this guy or is it good ridance?
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:43 pm

Pitts was one of the original Texans, from 2002. He started most of the games that he was with the Texans. The Texans are trying to develop a running game and Pitts hasn't been nearly as good at run blocking as pass blocking. How well he will work with the Seahawks might depend on what they want to do.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:22 pm

I am exhausted. It has been a brutal day with my dad, although, thank goodness, he is home tonight. We're hoping that now that he's home and familiar with his surroundings, he'll settle down and bring his mind current. He lost a lot of lucidity in the hospital as they seemed to think drugging him with Ativan would make it easier for THEM. Daddy never took anything stronger than aspirin in his entire life and then they start shooting him up with heavy duty narcotics, dammit to hell!

Oh well, as you can tell, I'm not at my best. I need a Grey Goose Martini, VERY dry, straight up, NOW (please)... :(
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby TryThinking » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:28 pm

cklaurence wrote:Oh well, as you can tell, I'm not at my best. I need a Grey Goose Martini, VERY dry, straight up, NOW (please)... :(

~slides a glass over to CK~
*Anger is the wind that blows out the flame of reason*
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm

Nothing for me, thanks. I don't want to dilute my high.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby Emeritus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:36 pm

This place is as deserted as a small Texas town when the high school football team has an away game. I saw a sign on one city limits sign that said, "The last one out of town turn off the lights."
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Emeritus wrote:This place is as deserted as a small Texas town when the high school football team has an away game.

Well I can't speak for everyone else, but quite frequently I'm pulling another 12 hour day and that doesn't leave a lot of blogging time when most are on.... just saying
Getting ready to knock off for the night and head for home....
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 am

I have a neighbor, a unit operator at a refinery, who works twelve-hour shifts. The good part of his schedule is that he gets a lot of days off. In addition to other days off, he gets off a week at a time once per month. He wouldn't willingly return to working eight-hour days. Is your schedule like that?
Emeritus
MVP

Postby TryThinking » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am

Emeritus wrote:I have a neighbor, a unit operator at a refinery, who works twelve-hour shifts. The good part of his schedule is that he gets a lot of days off. In addition to other days off, he gets off a week at a time once per month. He wouldn't willingly return to working eight-hour days. Is your schedule like that?

Actually no where close to that..... those 12 hour shifts don't allow me extra time off because then the place would be closed and that would not do me much good as far as generating income. In the last year besides some weekends off, my longest stretch was 4 days off for a camping trip I was just on.
It is what it is...
TryThinking
Veteran

Postby Emeritus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:23 am

I don't understand my neighbors shift. He works days and nights and is off different days every week. The place where he works is open all of the time - shutting down one of those huge units costs millions of dollars per day. He will work three days and be off four and work four and be off three ..... . As I understand it, he works an average of 42 hours per week. He's off so much that he takes extra pay instead of vacations.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Hey guys. I was driving past some refineries in the Glades a while back, and they seemed so eerie! There was like a haze around them with an other-worldly glow. It was so eerie. One of my close friends lobbies against sugar--which is to say he lobbies FOR the Glades. The future of Florida depends on the Glades being left alone. Sugar would take it all if allowed. I just don't know what they think in the sugar industry--if the Glades go, so does the entire State--and what's left for them then?
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby BabyHawk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Emeritus wrote:I don't understand my neighbors shift. He works days and nights and is off different days every week. The place where he works is open all of the time - shutting down one of those huge units costs millions of dollars per day. He will work three days and be off four and work four and be off three ..... . As I understand it, he works an average of 42 hours per week. He's off so much that he takes extra pay instead of vacations.

I have quite a few friends & some family that work at the refineries here.. the hours suck, but when you take your vacation coupled w/your 4 days off you are in the gold for time off that is for sure. I certianly could never make it through those 12 hour shifts & then when the shut downs come around work 20-30 days straight sucks.. nice O/T though
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm

They are in the middle of a $ 7 billion expansion project at my neighbor's refinery. It will double the capacity and make it the largest U.S.A. refinery, according to him. He works amazing hours! I never had to work overtime and I'm glad. It sound like the sort of thing that would age a man.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby BabyHawk » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Emeritus wrote:They are in the middle of a $ 7 billion expansion project at my neighbor's refinery. It will double the capacity and make it the largest U.S.A. refinery, according to him. He works amazing hours! I never had to work overtime and I'm glad. It sound like the sort of thing that would age a man.

It definatly has it's pro's & cons EM... not my cup of tea personally
Bleading Blue & Green
BabyHawk
Rookie

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:42 am

When I took early retirement I was told that I would miss working. I smile every thing that I think about it.
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 pm

I can't imagine working any job so confining. I know there are folks who would rather do something by rote and then not have to worry about anything once they go home; but I was always happy to take work home with me or even do the work at home, so long as I was able to express myself.
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:43 pm

Emeritus... More Smail!
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby Emeritus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:33 pm

My mailbox is empty.
Attachments
charlie brown at mailbox.jpg
charlie brown at mailbox.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 11289 times
Emeritus
MVP

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:51 pm

Hmmm. I'll go back and check it out. Stay tuned...
cklaurence
Godmother

Postby cklaurence » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:57 pm

Try now, Emeritus.
cklaurence
Godmother

PreviousNext

Return to THE BLOG ROOMS 2010 (archived)